Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE ENHANCED CLEANING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING, August 2020

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to sayšŸ˜‚

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJā€™s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parentā€™s weddingšŸ˜‚)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngestā€™s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told ā€œyes, the microwave is availableā€. I still doubted that so I PMā€™d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
E9FB21C8-1CDA-40C3-9FEF-5C8AD12E7089.jpeg

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm here! And now looks like I'll never know if a microwaved would have been available at the Pop through housekeeping. :arghh::cry: Ok I'm over that and ready for fun.:happy::joyfull:
Sorry, but with three teenagers I needed to stay somewhere more familiar. Thanks again for checking it out though and welcome.

Can't wait to hear all about it!
Glad you are here!

Iā€™m in and only 2 more sleeps for me!!
I am so excited for you! Where are you staying? TR???

Yaaasss! Iā€™m in!
yaaasss! I am happy you are in!!!šŸ˜

Woo Hoo!! Iā€™m here!!
I totally busted out laughing when you said that you canā€™t stand your sons friends!! The way you put it was hysterical!! Hope you enjoyed SSR as much as we didā€”minus the wanna be food court!!
His friends are ok but I spend enough time with teenage boys. Having a girl around was refreshing!!!

@Darstarr and @riverside start TRs on the same day?! This is waaay better than winning the lottery!
Wow! That is very nice Captain. How is school btw? Are you home and doing it virtual? On campus?

First photo on a @Darstarr Trip Report is of beer. Not surprised.

I'm here for the ride.
Itā€™s funny because itā€™s true. So happy you are here. Prepared to be dazzled by my iphone photography skills, like the selfie in the first post. Top notchšŸ˜‰šŸ“ø

Welcome and thanks for joining in!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Was this normal NY contract tracing, or something more nefarious?!
I believe it was normal BUT, how do you do that to your friends with no warning? The tracer said AJ (his GF was also reported) had to self quarantine at home for two weeks, take his temperature twice a day etc. But meanwhile, the ā€œcontact dayā€ that was reported, AJ and his GF were at my house. They weren't even with this kid!!! So my take away is....anyone can mess with anyone else, disrupt their life for two weeks just by reporting their name and number if they test positive. Also, this kid never had symptoms and didnt actually test positive. He tested positive for antibodies so who knows when he was exposed. AJā€™s GF got tested. She was negative. I did not get AJ tested.

Songbird76

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to sayšŸ˜‚

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJā€™s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parentā€™s weddingšŸ˜‚)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngestā€™s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told ā€œyes, the microwave is availableā€. I still doubted that so I PMā€™d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
View attachment 494575

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.
You originally booked at POR....isn't that more expensive than CBR? That's not a very good trade! We booked at CBR the last two trips because it was the least expensive of the Moderates. I don't think I'd be happy if I booked more a more expensive resort and was downgraded either! Did they reimburse you for the discrepency in price? I like CBR just fine, but I'd love to try a different resort, and if I'd booked a different one, I wouldn't be happy to be moved to one that wasn't as nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom