News Disney world attendance down 80%??

JoeCamel

I was told there is a purpose to not offering anything to the general public.
They don't want to attract a lot of out of state travelers at this time and are using it as a tool to discourage it somewhat.
This is why the focus has been on offering discounts to primarily Florida residents and Annual Passholders.
You would think they would want to draw more business, but with the restriction on capacity and several Resorts still being closed, this is par the norm for now.

This is why you are still seeing fully priced rooms and no discount offers.
I was told there may be some coming in October, but it's anyone's guess at this point as to if that actually happens.

-
Where are you seeing discounts for Florida Residents? $110 for a day? $65 a day for two, three or four? Weak sauce in my book
Save 40% on a 4 day? No real discount there unless you also pay rack when you book a hotel

Remember these prices are for reduced hours and a greatly reduced experience

celluloid

Where are you seeing discounts for Florida Residents? $110 for a day? $65 a day for two, three or four? Weak sauce in my book
Save 40% on a 4 day? No real discount there unless you also pay rack when you book a hotel

Yeah, the deal is pretty similar to the typical play 4 day advertised rate prices for FL residents in recent years, and even worse, the time to utilize them if a 2, 3 or 4 day are all different and confusing.

ToTBellHop

I wonder if it's prudent to look at all of the very loud signals the rest of Orlando is sending out. Universal shutting down hotels and attractions, and closing Volcano Bay a couple of days a week seems like a really loud signal. Then again, the parks can get quite "busy" at times
The hotels left open are, by many reports, slammed. So that is more about cramming folks together to save on staffing. Combined with workforce cuts, I think what is happening is this:

1) parks planned to reopen and said, “spare no expense! Give guests a great experience and more will come quickly!”
2) COVID situation worsened in Fla.
3) Guest numbers did not increase at rate anticipated so the companies are now thinking, “we can’t keep spending at this rate if this is going to be a slower return to normal.” So, they are trimming rather than closing up shop as some suggested. The cuts, by and large, make sense. The parks are particularly quiet the first and last hour lately, so the companies can save by cutting those hours with little impact on guests. What surprises me is the refusal to extend on weekends. Weekends are noticeably busier. An extra hour on Friday through Sunday would be nice...

ToTBellHop

When I actually went, I didn’t question the value for money paid. $100 for four rides on FoP was better than that February trip where we woke up at 5:30, got to DAK at 7:30 ahead of an 8 am open and ended up in a two-hour FoP line.

Did I miss FotLK? Sure. But I’ve seen it. I’ll never see 10-min waits for FoP at 1 pm again.

Those 15-min Space Mountain waits should give any fanboy a semi. Wear your mask and experience E-Ride Night/Disney After Hours waits without the surcharge. My 43rd viewing of Fantasmic! can wait.

seabreezept813

I didn't take into account how many people are in your group. 12 people, insane!

This coming week, I'm staying the 24th-29th at an Airbnb, with three days at the parks (MK, HS, and AK).

Airbnb: $146.
Theme Park Tickets: $660.
Food money prep: $50 per day, $200.
Travel food money: $40.
Gasoline: $60.
AMC theatre reservation (the goonies): $35.
TOTAL
--------
$1,141 for two people.
Maybe add a couple hundred for souvenirs/snacks or whatever.

I consider myself a master of budget vacations, since I have to think outside the box for a recently-graduated college student.... In theatre. (Thanks for shutting em down COVID)

31 year old here.. you get snobbier as you age. We’d rather save up for 2 years so we can stay a full week to a week and a half and be on property with the meal plan. 3 days would be a tease lol

Herdman

When I actually went, I didn’t question the value for money paid. $100 for four rides on FoP was better than that February trip where we woke up at 5:30, got to DAK at 7:30 ahead of an 8 am open and ended up in a two-hour FoP line.

Did I miss FotLK? Sure. But I’ve seen it. I’ll never see 10-min waits for FoP at 1 pm again.

Those 15-min Space Mountain waits should give any fanboy a semi. Wear your mask and experience E-Ride Night/Disney After Hours waits without the surcharge. My 43rd viewing of Fantasmic! can wait.
You and I must be kindred spirits haha. Do you think if they finalize the agreement with the Actors Equity Association that Fantasmic! would be the first nighttime show back? They already have attractions with rows/seats marked off so it seems physical distancing would be easier than HEA for sure. I think the main issue would be trying to exit by section or something to avoid that cattle herd leaving.

Smiley/OCD

I didn't take into account how many people are in your group. 12 people, insane!

This coming week, I'm staying the 24th-29th at an Airbnb, with three days at the parks (MK, HS, and AK).

Airbnb: $146.
Theme Park Tickets: $660.
Food money prep: $50 per day, $200.
Travel food money: $40.
Gasoline: $60.
AMC theatre reservation (the goonies): $35.
TOTAL
--------
$1,141 for two people.
Maybe add a couple hundred for souvenirs/snacks or whatever.

I consider myself a master of budget vacations, since I have to think outside the box for a recently-graduated college student.... In theatre. (Thanks for shutting em down COVID)
Maybe I'm missing something here...$50.00/person for food daily?

Disstevefan1

It still doesn't make up for the lack of resort guest spending. Yeah let's take away from all resort guests and let AP holders fill the parks cause that will bring in high revenue. 🙄
The thread is attendance down 80 percent, my point is there are folks who want in but Disney is preventing them.

Smiley/OCD

Yeup. Bring food in from home. Sammiches are your friend. There’s something magical about a lil picnic in the parks. (-:
That's awesome for you...We're not going on vacation to clean a room, clean our plates or make sammies...we do that at home...we go to Disney so we DON'T have to do that...with all going on, but hey, I'm not faulting you AT ALL...we just want different experiences. It's all good!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
But there’s no money in APs...that’s the problem with the “they should open it up to APs...”

Why?

As a family of 4 - I'm prepared to walk into F&W for 5 hours and drop $300/$400. Food, drink, Beatles COVID t-shirts in the UK, maybe a sombrero with a face guard, and some French Cologne (my Sauvage is running low anyway - plus they don't sell Creed there. SO how bad could it be? Creed - I'd blow a grand. Easily. Maybe 2). But that's just me. I'm vain.*

* BTW - This post is filled with Sarcasm

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is all true.

Turns out not budging with incentives, making your loyal base feel like they are getting much less value and even the general public knowing it can really hurt you. Not to mention your lifestylers and CP base are going to be non existent.

Disney did a few things right safety wise, but so many things wrong that it negated the success.

Universal won this one the best they could tenfold.

Even Sea World played their cards the best they could once they could reopen under their already hard previous budget issues.
It’s no secret the Iger regime detests discounts and incentives. Anyone with their eyes open for the last ten years could see that.

They weren’t gonna beg for us to return.

But I think beyond that it’s about Disney just does not really want to be operating. My suspicion has been they wrote the year off. Operating at all is for show and a pain. The year is a write off

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a family of 4 - I'm prepared to walk into F&W for 5 hours and drop $300/$400. Food, drink, Beatles COVID t-shirts in the UK, maybe a sombrero with a face guard, and some French Cologne (my Sauvage is running low anyway - plus they don't sell Creed there. SO how bad could it be? Creed - I'd blow a grand. Easily. Maybe 2). But that's just me. I'm vain.
If there was money in flooding the place with APs...we’d never be having that conversation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom