On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

MaximumEd

My dad worked at the same place for 27 years and my grandfather worked for IBM for 33-35 years...he’s one of the last people I knew that retired with pension, stock options, etc. at 58.

My grandmother still collects his retirement. She’s 84.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but, given today’s circumstances, I’ll never find a job like his, in my lifetime.

Yeah, yeah...I know...military, civil servants, academic...not the same.

Ive worked for a natural gas distribution company for 17 years. I do corrosion mitigation. Pension and 401k plus ESOP plan. I readily admit there isn’t many places like that left. If the world doesn’t fall apart, I’ll retire at 58.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m not saying it’s impossible, but, given today’s circumstances, I’ll never find a job like his, in my lifetime.
Time in? very possible. The bigger issue is working with companies that actually last that long anymore.. the speed of the world and tech has cut the runway of many companies.

Job with guaranteed pensions and insurance... not anyone being hired these days except in very finite circumstances. Everyone switched to retirement savings.

DVCakaCarlF

Time in? very possible. The bigger issue is working with companies that actually last that long anymore.. the speed of the world and tech has cut the runway of many companies.

Job with guaranteed pensions and insurance... not anyone being hired these days except in very finite circumstances. Everyone switched to retirement savings.
Yes, bankruptcies, acquisitions, mergers all create casualties.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have a sequel thread but I’m playing wait and see till after tomorrow. Too much noise in the air right now.
I’m guessing that’s more of a charade than normal
I'm curious if Iger and or Chapek will be upfront or get questioned regarding the cash burn rate of the company tomorrow afternoon among other things.
Ehhh...don’t expect anything controversial

pheneix

Original Poster
I've been giving consideration to what could go right for Disney on earnings day tomorrow vs the obvious catastrophes. And I do see a few ways they can avoid a total stock collapse.

One thing Disney absolutely needs is knockout D+ and Hulu subscriber growth. Disney announced back in May that D+ had around 51 million subs. Say they absolutely killed it and are close to 80 million subscribers. Hulu likewise experiences the same growth, but sorry, I don't recall their sub numbers off hand. With this momentum they can definitely abate some of the pain from the parks. Because of the value that Wall St places on subscriber businesses that lose lots of money, this could even save the stock. Even while DTC is losing tons of money, the revenue still good cash in the till.

Disney's cash position could also be better than expected. They raised $11 billion in debt since the last earnings report. Not inconceivable they have a better cash/cash equivalents position than we speculate. Perhaps north of $12 billion. The caveat here is that they are burning thru this cash at an astonishing rate. This is not in question. "When does the cash burn end?" That's the first question. "Is it worth continuing to loan money to this company if they can't answer the cash burn question?" is the second one.

Theme parks division.... Okay, they lost more money than we think. Almost certain. There's nothing good there. One could imagine that consumer products outside the parks has done kinda sorta okay tho?

Media Networks at Disney could be a bright spot. I've read some Wall St critters expecting less of a crash on the bottom line than hyped. Remember that Disney enjoys nosebleed carriage fees for ESPN that no one else has. The advertising market is absolutely crap. We know live events were knee capped. I will want to see how more "routine programming" fared selling ad time. They have the election to look forward to, at least.

Movie studio? Meh. They probably are profitable off legacy licensing revs. Everything else was non-existent.

In truth, Disney is probably getting their face ripped off tomorrow. They've been hiding skeletons in their closet not discussed here. Some of those gotta come out even against good news.

Either way, worth giving consideration to the above and a chance that Disney's world doesn't end tomorrow.

DVCakaCarlF

I've been giving consideration to what could go right for Disney on earnings day tomorrow vs the obvious catastrophes. And I do see a few ways they can avoid a total stock collapse.

One thing Disney absolutely needs is knockout D+ and Hulu subscriber growth. Disney announced back in May that D+ had around 51 million subs. Say they absolutely killed it and are close to 80 million subscribers. Hulu likewise experiences the same growth, but sorry, I don't recall their sub numbers off hand. With this momentum they can definitely abate some of the pain from the parks. Because of the value that Wall St places on subscriber businesses that lose lots of money, this could even save the stock. Even while DTC is losing tons of money, the revenue still good cash in the till.

Disney's cash position could also be better than expected. They raised $11 billion in debt since the last earnings report. Not inconceivable they have a better cash/cash equivalents position than we speculate. Perhaps north of $12 billion. The caveat here is that they are burning thru this cash at an astonishing rate. This is not in question. "When does the cash burn end?" That's the first question. "Is it worth continuing to loan money to this company if they can't answer the cash burn question?" is the second one.

Theme parks division.... Okay, they lost more money than we think. Almost certain. There's nothing good there. One could imagine that consumer products outside the parks has done kinda sorta okay tho?

Media Networks at Disney could be a bright spot. I've read some Wall St critters expecting less of a crash on the bottom line than hyped. Remember that Disney enjoys nosebleed carriage fees for ESPN that no one else has. The advertising market is absolutely crap. We know live events were knee capped. I will want to see how more "routine programming" fared selling ad time. They have the election to look forward to, at least.

Movie studio? Meh. They probably are profitable off legacy licensing revs. Everything else was non-existent.

In truth, Disney is probably getting their face ripped off tomorrow. They've been hiding skeletons in their closet not discussed here. Some of those gotta come out even against good news.

Either way, worth giving consideration to the above and a chance that Disney's world doesn't end tomorrow.
Skeletons being what? Personal or financial?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think the Fed has proven that stock price has nothing to do with the operation of the businesses 😂

WDW Pro

It's going to be nightmare fuel with a cherry and pixie dust dusting.

yaksplat

And that summed up why I dumped all of my disney stock a few weeks ago. I couldn't see any way there would be positive news. Disney used to be one of my go to stocks to hold, but not anymore. I've dumped about 1000 shares this year.

DVCakaCarlF

And that summed up why I dumped all of my disney stock a few weeks ago. I couldn't see any way there would be positive news. Disney used to be one of my go to stocks to hold, but not anymore. I've dumped about 1000 shares this year.
Sounds like something Ron Swanson would say.

Ldno

I can see the youtubers going bananas over the news Tomorrow. wonder how much the stock will drop from 116 today, tomorrow...

Notes from Neverland

Not a financial analyst by any means, but watching the stock price will be fascinating. Disney's revenue numbers will be abysmal, but who doesn't expect them to rebound once there's any kind of return to normalcy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom