On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Lilofan

I wasn’t being serious. It was a sarcastic response to people who complain about people who can’t improve their situation complaining about subsidizing less fortunate people through their insurance premiums.
People who can't or people who won't? Know some that have no shame or regrets. No sarcasm in that, it's real world.

pheneix

Original Poster
I understand, but there becomes a point where if you change jobs too often, it begins to look bad.
Also, there is a difference between changing jobs as stepping stones, contracts change, maintaining and learning new skills, or a host of other professional reasons. I am arguing about quitting jobs routinely, taking a parallel job, and thinking somehow it will be different this time around.

People do not leave bad companies, they leave bad bosses.

Having bounced around the Las Vegas job market a bit, this is definitely one of those “six and one half dozen of the other” looks in 2020.

Many of these frontline customer service jobs are meat grinders. The operations are so difficult to work with that no one is even really expected to stay long. If you work at a huge resort this isn’t the end of the world — there’s loads of opportunity for advancement.

If you’re working at something like a customer service call center, no one lasts and this is a given when resume viewing.

I could fly off on another tangent about how “career men” who stay at one company are toast, but that’s different entirely.

I do agree that job hopping is still a bad look when I look at someone’s resume. But it’s not in the way that it used to be.

DVCakaCarlF

Having bounced around the Las Vegas job market a bit, this is definitely one of those “six and one half dozen of the other” looks in 2020.

Many of these frontline customer service jobs are meat grinders. The operations are so difficult to work with that no one is even really expected to stay long. If you work at a huge resort this isn’t the end of the world — there’s loads of opportunity for advancement.

If you’re working at something like a customer service call center, no one lasts and this is a given when resume viewing.

I could fly off on another tangent about how “career men” who stay at one company are toast, but that’s different entirely.

I do agree that job hopping is still a bad look when I look at someone’s resume. But it’s not in the way that it used to be.
The “20, 30, 35+ career” is gone...it’s almost impossible nowadays.

Lilofan

I think they get questions in advance, don’t they?
No, during public conference call with Wall Street , company goes first describing state of company then Q&A with Wall Street ( they don't get the questions in advance ) then Disney will be front page business news the next day Wed then the stock market reacts same day . The market has really rebounded tremendously from the market lows in late March. Bottom feeders buying in at that time are now looking like sharks. I would expect Disney execs going on MSNBC, CNN , etc after quarterly earnings for media interviews/more Q&A.

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

I wouldn’t say gone. I have one of those jobs. It’s certainly not easy to find and I kinda lucked into the one I have, but they do exist.
My dad worked at the same place for 27 years and my grandfather worked for IBM for 33-35 years...he’s one of the last people I knew that retired with pension, stock options, etc. at 58.

My grandmother still collects his retirement. She’s 84.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but, given today’s circumstances, I’ll never find a job like his, in my lifetime.

Yeah, yeah...I know...military, civil servants, academic...not the same.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Womp, womp...
Wow.. some real heavy hitting reporting there...

"When Disney announces its third-quarter results on Tuesday, investors will gauge how significantly the pandemic has hurt the company’s theme parks, TV networks and studios, while boosting streaming services like Disney+."

donaldtoo

I wouldn’t say gone. I have one of those jobs. It’s certainly not easy to find and I kinda lucked into the one I have, but they do exist.

If it hadn’t been for a slightly more than 4 year layoff from the firm I’ve now been back with for 7+ years, I would’ve been with them for 31+ years at this point. As it stands, 27+ years, and still rollin’.
My pop also worked for IBM for 27+ years before retiring at age 62. He’s 87 now and my mother is 81.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom