The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
Well you could say that since he is older he is better off focusing more on the one sport that he really has worked at for years because he will have a better chance of making a high school team and then a college team. I know that for you being a single parent makes it super hard for you to let him do all these traveling teams. You don't want to use that as an excuse though because then he will feel sorry for himself.
X2 not to mention his academic load only gets heavier from here

Songbird76

I can’t remember if I’ve said this already, but my youngest nephew (going into second grade) is playing soccer for the same club as my son this year. He’s playing up a birth year, and made the top team.

He’s also trying out for a travel baseball team this week.. now T is begging me, not happy that I won’t let him.

Here’s the thing, this nephew is in like 1% of athletes. I’m not joking, this kid is sick.. physically and mentally, he can just pick up any sport and excel at it.
T is athletic, but not on that level, the vast majority of kids aren’t on that level.

Plan for my nephew is to only play fall and winter soccer, skip spring soccer so he can do travel baseball instead, and then just go to tryouts again when spring is over. There are not many kids who can do this, I don’t know of any in T’s age bracket or close to it. However, that kid will almost assuredly get a spot even with skipping spring.

Obviously T knows that his cousin is next level athletic, but now he’s mad at me for not letting him try out for travel baseball (he is trying out for the stacked team at school though, which no doubt he will make). How do I explain to him that he can’t do both travel sports when his cousin does, that he can’t skip spring soccer if he wants to continue to play? Just tell him that his cousin is a freak of nature?lol.

*I think I shared it here, but T was really conflicted this year over choosing travel baseball or travel soccer... but finally decided to stick with soccer, main reason being that he can get a higher level of baseball competition and teammates on the stacked team at school, while not equivalent to the training in travel, it’s still decent. There isn’t a stacked soccer team.
You don't have to justify everything to him. You made a decision based on experience, etc. Sometimes there are going to be things that other kids are allowed to do that you don't agree with. This is going to happen more and more as T gets older. "But mom.....Joey's mom is letting him go! Why can't I?" " Why am I the only kid not allowed to have my own phone??" It's your job as a parent to navigate the pitfalls and teach him to make good judgments. He's not going to like every decision you make. That's ok. He doesn't have to like it. The thing I told my kids was "Well, I'm not his mother. I don't get to decide for him. I get to decide for you." If you've already explained it to him and he is still arguing, just tell him you aren't going to change your mind.

21stamps

Well you could say that since he is older he is better off focusing more on the one sport that he really has worked at for years because he will have a better chance of making a high school team and then a college team. I know that for you being a single parent makes it super hard for you to let him do all these traveling teams. You don't want to use that as an excuse though because then he will feel sorry for himself.

The truth is, he wouldn’t have the option to give up a season at this age, and still remain on the team. T is good, really good, but he’s not that stop-you-in-your-tracks athlete, if that makes sense. My nephew is just something super special., I’ve never seen a kid like him. Whether it’s flag football, basketball, soccer, baseball.. he becomes the star immediately, with people expressing surprise and admiration.. not just raw athleticism, but tactically as well. It’s like his brain and body are wired for it. There is no way that a kid like this is not going to have coaches/clubs seeking him out, even if he skips one season within a year. He’s just that rare display that you hear about from great athletes when they were kids.

He and T are so close, he really looks up to T, especially in sports, but I knew there would come a time when he would start having more options than T. I don’t know if my son will choose baseball or soccer in the long run, he’s so good at both.. so what we did was he decided to stick with competitive soccer, and I told him he can continue with his baseball trainers (he now has two on accident, prefers one for pitching and batting, the other for fielding and agility training) and play on the stacked team in a more competitive school league. That way, if he does decide to switch, then he shouldn’t be far off the kids who are currently playing travel baseball. I was relieved, because I don’t think I can logistically fit travel baseball into our schedule, even without soccer. Either way, there’s no way he would have the choice to do one for fall and one in spring and expect to remain at his same team level on soccer... there’s just too many good kids who are fighting for that spot.

Rista1313

I'm taking this upcoming Friday off work. A and I always go to Starbucks for coffee and cake pops the morning of my birthday, so I'm trying to figure out how to do this safely on Friday. Then I think we might go creeking because we both love that. I can't think of any way better to welcome another year than to spend it with my favorite person :inlove:

Drive thru starbucks!

SteveBrickNJ

Hi! I'm gonna compose my questions here using my laptop, then in a few moments I will use my cell phone and add the photos that relate to the questions.
I have a Verizon Fios box that I have been using for 4 years. It looks like this....20200728_141333.jpg20200728_141412.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom