WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

Gottalovepluto

This is starting to feel like a smear campaign.

With the $600 done I would expect more like this from the union. They are no longer negotiating from a point of power, their members are going to start screaming en masse to get back to work. I think Disney has just been waiting them out for this moment. If the union wants anything from Disney they’ll need the general public to pressure Disney.

Gottalovepluto

Anyone know how negotiations are going with Disneyland? They had a lot of unions not on board back when they pulled the opening date but I haven’t heard much since.

Jrb1979

With the $600 done I would expect more like this from the union. They are no longer negotiating from a point of power, their members are going to start screaming en masse to get back to work. I think Disney has just been waiting them out for this moment. If the union wants anything from Disney they’ll need the general public to pressure Disney.
I hope they do put pressure on them.

Magic Feather

I do find the Union’s latest video a tad contradictory: “WDW is opening in a pandemic that has more cases than ever before in Florida” which to me seems like they want WDW closed. Then “WDW didn’t bring back AEA people :-(“ which to me is a we want to be there thing, which is weird juxtaposition. Then it jumped into the “we want masks and testing” thing, which fair.

I can slightly understand character integrity stopping Disney from putting masks on characters (which they do at Uni and it’s really off putting), but performers in non-character roles really should be in masks for their own safety, the safety of those around them, and especially an example for the kids.

The testing thing is a little weirder, largely because Disney doesn’t really have a way to do their own testing, so they would have to contract it out, but most contracted COVID tests have a 1 week turnaround (at which point there would be enough symptoms to make some type of serious illness obvious).

Finally, Disney is currently in a position where having nothing with equity performers isn’t really hurting them at all. The only two parks where a lack of shows has put a damper on things are DHS and DAK. With that, the amount of “damper” is significantly less than the cost to run the shows, so even if they could, I’m not sure if Disney would want to restart these shows.

RaiseTheShields

I do find the Union’s latest video a tad contradictory: “WDW is opening in a pandemic that has more cases than ever before in Florida” which to me seems like they want WDW closed. Then “WDW didn’t bring back AEA people :-(“ which to me is a we want to be there thing, which is weird juxtaposition. Then it jumped into the “we want masks and testing” thing, which fair.

I can slightly understand character integrity stopping Disney from putting masks on characters (which they do at Uni and it’s really off putting), but performers in non-character roles really should be in masks for their own safety, the safety of those around them, and especially an example for the kids.

The testing thing is a little weirder, largely because Disney doesn’t really have a way to do their own testing, so they would have to contract it out, but most contracted COVID tests have a 1 week turnaround (at which point there would be enough symptoms to make some type of serious illness obvious).

Finally, Disney is currently in a position where having nothing with equity performers isn’t really hurting them at all. The only two parks where a lack of shows has put a damper on things are DHS and DAK. With that, the amount of “damper” is significantly less than the cost to run the shows, so even if they could, I’m not sure if Disney would want to restart these shows.
Really good observations here. Unfortunately it even further solidifies my gut feeling that this is not going to have a favorable ending for AEA. I hope I’m wrong.

TrojanUSC

It would not be hard for Disney to spend the money to do rapid testing or the 16-minute antigen test (which is 90%+ accurate). Several Vegas hotels are testing their staff weekly in this manner.

SoFloMagic

I mean, the move it shake it cavalcades have dancers who are not masked and are walking along the parade, 3 feet from guests. There's no excuse for them to not be masked. They could get masks that match the outfit and make it fun.

Face characters, I get. Anonymous dancers, come on...

asianway

I mean, the move it shake it cavalcades have dancers who are not masked and are walking along the parade, 3 feet from guests. There's no excuse for them to not be masked. They could get masks that match the outfit and make it fun.

Face characters, I get. Anonymous dancers, come on...
More than three feet

Ldno

Well we all know corporations will cut the unions no matter at any cost necessary, now you have me thinking, talking to this to another person I got called out because I was stating this might be the new normal, like you said when will it stop? Corporations like saving money and cutting corners over the hard right, I honestly feel that if they can find the excuse that customer satisfaction is at 100% right now I can honestly say the new normal will be permanent i.e. no parades, no shows, no fireworks, no characters meets and greets, when will it stop? I have a feeling the parks will be just rides and food...

Lilofan

Well we all know corporations will cut the unions no matter at any cost necessary, now you have me thinking, talking to this to another person I got called out because I was stating this might be the new normal, like you said when will it stop? Corporations like saving money and cutting corners over the hard right, I honestly feel that if they can find the excuse that customer satisfaction is at 100% right now I can honestly say the new normal will be permanent i.e. no parades, no shows, no fireworks, no characters meets and greets, when will it stop? I have a feeling the parks will be just rides and food...
Working from home could also be a new normal for some businesses. This would affect small business around the offices that rely on office workers spending power. Those businesses would have a hard time trying to survive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom