Should I Stay? I'm not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissViv

I love the Song of the South movie and hated when they banned it. I have loved Splash Mountain in the past but haven't been on it in several years because of getting "drenched" each time. We walk past it but always say - I don't want to get wet, so we haven't ridden it in a long time.

Used to ride it a lot when I took trips with my daughter during spring breaks.

jloucks

Earlier this year, I started to be more active on this site than I had been for the past few years. I enjoyed participating in conversations, making new threads, and reading about all the latest WDW happenings. Obviously this year has been a complete mess in numerous ways, but nothing set off a fire in me quite as much as one particular announcement in late June...

As you all know, I was very, very, VERY upset with the Splash Mountain announcement and I have yet to let go of that frustration. I started losing confidence in both the future of the ride and myself a few days after the announcement, with people everywhere on the boards saying that there's a slim chance of cancellation and even some members making fun of people like me trying to save the ride and acting like it's not that big of a deal, that "this isn't the death of Disney." I felt like the voices backing Disney's decision were louder and that there was no use trying to speak up against it because who is going to listen to me? I've made my opinion clear and that's that, I can't exactly change people's minds after all. However, I didn't want to have to keep reading posts about how it'll be the "same ride, different theme," "you might like the new one," "the ride was in trouble from the beginning," and all the other phrases uttered that back Disney's decision and attempt to lessen the huge blow that this actually is, so I decided to take a hiatus.

Now something good that came out of this situation was that I started to post on my old Splash Mountain Instagram account again and I joined the Save Splash Mountain group on Facebook. I had been hoping to find a group of people who shared my appreciation for the attraction for awhile, and while the circumstance might not have been ideal, I finally managed to find some friends. That's one thing I can be thankful for with this whole ordeal and I encourage Splash fans to join it, even if you think the effort to save it is hopeless.

I made a status update earlier today about how I wasn't sure if I wanted to be part of these forums anymore considering how many people here are backing Disney's stupid decision and acting like they're "right" for having that opinion. I also mentioned on the FB group about how most people here seem to have just accepted it, whether they agree with it or not. There are people on the group telling me I should stay and fight because my one voice speaking out against it is better than nothing, but I'm not going to lie, it's intimidating when it feels like nothing you say and nothing you do will make an impact.

At the moment, I just don't feel happy here and there seems to be a pessimistic vibe that I don't want to involve myself with. Should I ditch this place for other communities, or should I just stand my ground and not let the negativity get to me?

If you can't
should I just stand my ground and not let the negativity get to me

Then you should
ditch this place for other communities

I have been on internet forums since back when you dialed one up on a BBS. I have learned that groupthink forums where everybody gets along and drinks the exact same coolaid makes for a pretty crappy forum IF you are in it for any kind of thought diversity. I would far rather be on board were also exist a group of aholes, then one without them. HA, no doubt I am one to a small portion of this board. Now, don't get me wrong, there is a line even with me where you go from ahole to something far worse. In which case I just block you. There are only 2 on this board out of hundreds that I have blocked.

My suggestion to you is you stay put, and just block whomever you cannot handle. This board is about as diverse as you can get for a topic board and the mods let a wide array of discussions go so long as it stays civil. Of course this rules out politics and religion, but hey, no surprise there.

jloucks

People have gotten upset about much less. Just take the people getting offended about Trader Jose's and Trader Ming's.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Most people will back Disney no matter what they do. They could rename the theme park Caitlyn Jenner World and people will still come and pay money. Jack 1 day tickets to $300, no problem, people will pay. There are a lot of Disney apologists lurking around just waiting to identify someone who dares to question the company.

Well, I mean, I get your point, but the word "most" is a little subjective. I loved disney, but stopped backing them as soon as they let their parks become mosh pits. Yea, yea, I know, also subjective. :p

jloucks

It’s my favorite and I feel like closing it will seriously deteriorate my love for Disney parks. You’re not upset by it, good for you. Am I not allowed to be though?

I liked your phraseology. "deteriorate" is a fair and accurate word of park desire that pretty much applies to everybody if something they like or love is destroyed or perverted.

If they turned the Haunted Mansion into a Stitch themed ride, I am sure a ton of us would experience some park love deterioration.

Nottamus

People fear change. All of us.

Illuminations being shelved was a huge blow because it was special to my wife and I (and i'm guessing a few others)
BUT

As I will shed a tear for the past, I look forward to the future, and new experiences, and new memories.

(note: I've never actually been on splash mountain)

The Mom

Premium Member
If you can't

Then you should

I have been on internet forums since back when you dialed one up on a BBS. I have learned that groupthink forums where everybody gets along and drinks the exact same coolaid makes for a pretty crappy forum IF you are in it for any kind of thought diversity. I would far rather be on board were also exist a group of aholes, then one without them. HA, no doubt I am one to a small portion of this board. Now, don't get me wrong, there is a line even with me where you go from ahole to something far worse. In which case I just block you. There are only 2 on this board out of hundreds that I have blocked.

My suggestion to you is you stay put, and just block whomever you cannot handle. This board is about as diverse as you can get for a topic board and the mods let a wide array of discussions go so long as it stays civil. Of course this rules out politics and religion, but hey, no surprise there.
There is a subforum for those who really want to go there. Enter at your own risk - you will be offended/angered/frustrated at some point. And you still have to remain civil.

Disstevefan1

Earlier this year, I started to be more active on this site than I had been for the past few years. I enjoyed participating in conversations, making new threads, and reading about all the latest WDW happenings. Obviously this year has been a complete mess in numerous ways, but nothing set off a fire in me quite as much as one particular announcement in late June...

As you all know, I was very, very, VERY upset with the Splash Mountain announcement and I have yet to let go of that frustration. I started losing confidence in both the future of the ride and myself a few days after the announcement, with people everywhere on the boards saying that there's a slim chance of cancellation and even some members making fun of people like me trying to save the ride and acting like it's not that big of a deal, that "this isn't the death of Disney." I felt like the voices backing Disney's decision were louder and that there was no use trying to speak up against it because who is going to listen to me? I've made my opinion clear and that's that, I can't exactly change people's minds after all. However, I didn't want to have to keep reading posts about how it'll be the "same ride, different theme," "you might like the new one," "the ride was in trouble from the beginning," and all the other phrases uttered that back Disney's decision and attempt to lessen the huge blow that this actually is, so I decided to take a hiatus.

Now something good that came out of this situation was that I started to post on my old Splash Mountain Instagram account again and I joined the Save Splash Mountain group on Facebook. I had been hoping to find a group of people who shared my appreciation for the attraction for awhile, and while the circumstance might not have been ideal, I finally managed to find some friends. That's one thing I can be thankful for with this whole ordeal and I encourage Splash fans to join it, even if you think the effort to save it is hopeless.

I made a status update earlier today about how I wasn't sure if I wanted to be part of these forums anymore considering how many people here are backing Disney's stupid decision and acting like they're "right" for having that opinion. I also mentioned on the FB group about how most people here seem to have just accepted it, whether they agree with it or not. There are people on the group telling me I should stay and fight because my one voice speaking out against it is better than nothing, but I'm not going to lie, it's intimidating when it feels like nothing you say and nothing you do will make an impact.

At the moment, I just don't feel happy here and there seems to be a pessimistic vibe that I don't want to involve myself with. Should I ditch this place for other communities, or should I just stand my ground and not let the negativity get to me?

This is just my opinion.
The Walt Disney Company will change whatever it wants whenever it wants for any reason it wants.
Its Disney's world :) we just live in it.
This forum and all forums just talk about this and hundreds of changes Disney makes, some we hate, some we love, some we don't care about. Its like group therapy.
Nothing said here or in any other forums will influence Disney
I hope you dont blame the free exchange of ideas on this forum for decisions The Walt Disney Company makes.

Chi84

Premium Member
Being passionate about theme parks doesn’t require a person to become upset about changes to those parks or the rides. I’ve been visiting Disney regularly my entire adult life and I look forward to changes. I’m incredibly passionate about my Disney vacations, but I could never work up a passion about Disney changing a particular ride. Others can, and there’s nothing wrong with that. People are different.

KBLovedDisney

• They changed Journey Into Imagination into a monstrosity of a ride
  • They changed the World of Disney store into a run of the mill/chain retail outlet; it lost its charm and magical feeling
  • They changed The Great Movie Ride into a Ren (Mickey) & Stimpy (Minnie) projection ride
  • They got rid of Horizons, World of Motion
  • They got rid of the lights in the ground at Epcot that I always stopped to admire and jump on no matter how old I got
  • They painted the iconic Cinderella castle pink, which I do believe Cinderella herself would gawk at in absolute horror
  • They changed an iconic scene in Pirates of the Caribbean just to satiate the Karens (& Darrens) of the world
  • They are currently changing Epcot into who knows what, probably Ipcot
They got rid of/changed a lot of the things that I loved dearly and miss like crazy. But I will always have that initial love for Disney because of what it used to be.

Sadly though, I will admit. A lot of what has taken place over the years and what is currently happening makes me look at Disney in a whole new light and not in a good way I'm afraid.

Chi84

Premium Member
If you can't

Then you should

I agree about blocking people. When a poster consistently throws out insults and resorts to name-calling, the "ignore" feature works great. Saves aggravation and you aren't missing anything important. It's funny, but I've also blocked only two people - wonder if it's the same two.

I also agree with your thoughts about this forum. It's lightly moderated to filter out only the worst offenses, which is something I prefer. But if the OP is upset by a large number of posters supporting what she calls a "stupid" decision and "acting like they're 'right' for having that opinion," then joining a group of likeminded people seems a better option than confronting the diversity of opinions expressed here.

Pepper's Ghost

• They changed the World of Disney store into a run of the mill/chain retail outlet; it lost its charm and magical feeling
  • They changed The Great Movie Ride into a Ren (Mickey) & Stimpy (Minnie) projection ride
  • They got rid of the lights in the ground at Epcot that I always stopped to admire and jump on no matter how old I got
  • They painted the iconic Cinderella castle pink, which I do believe Cinderella herself would gawk at in absolute horror
  • They changed an iconic scene in Pirates of the Caribbean just to satiate the Karens (& Darrens) of the world
They got rid of/changed a lot of the things that I loved dearly and miss like crazy. But I will always have that initial love for Disney because of what it used to be.

Sadly though, I will admit. A lot of what has taken place over the years and what is currently happening makes me look at Disney in a whole new light and not in a good way I'm afraid.

Great list! All of which contributed to my "deterioration". If you don't mind, I'll add a few more. I openly admit some may like these changes better than the originals, but just throwing these out there:
  • They changed Wishes to whatever the heck it is now. As a guy I always had to stop and watch Wishes. I love it in it's simplicity. Watching it on Youtube just ain't the same.
  • They changed Soarin' Over California to SotW. Awful mistake. It just doesn't work for me anymore, although others my love it as much.
  • They downgraded Alien Encounter to Stitch... to nothing.
  • They changed Test Track to Test Tron, another downgrade IMO.
  • They changed Backlot Tour to Lights, Motors, whatever. Love cars... love action movies... couldn't care less for LMA. Wish we could have Backlot Tours back.
  • They changed Fastpass into an entitlement program swelling standby lines to unbearable lengths of time. I know this one is controversial, so ignore it if you disagree. 😁

Disstevefan1

Excellent post! I love IPCOT, I just noticed IP and PC, Disney will get both covered in whatever EPCOT evolves into. 🙁

LondonGopher

They got rid of the light-up pavements in Future World? 😭 😭 😭

JIMINYCR

I'm on your siide. I thought the decision to change Splash was foolish, unnecessary and a move Iger made to take the ongoing issue surrounding Splash off the table forever. It was a politically driven, expedient move that fell into Igers lap and he couldnt waste a minute announcing the change over. He will never have to deal with this again I too will be forever angered and this will alter my enjoyment of a Disney trip.
You could leave and move on but youll eventually run into the same kind of posters anywhere you go. I suggest you avoid any of the forum posts that you know will anger you. Any forum will have a negative element in them and many times those who will post things that upset you do so because thats their purpose. They enjoy inflaming a topic and post statements just to be divisive. Theres a lot more content here that you can continue to tap into and learn about the ongoing topics of the parks which can benefit you. if you leave you will also be robbing us of your insights into other things that we may benefit from your unique perspective. I'd rather you stay than go.

eliza61nyc

I’m also full well aware that there are more important issues in the world. I’m still frustrated though and I don’t want anyone to try to downplay it for me.

Then I'm confused or can't understand what the question is?

Now first let me admit, I'm like @epcotisbest while I love Disney, I fully recognize that it's a vacation destination, it has no bearing on my overall happiness and while I like it, I do not have the passion some posters do.

So basically op,you say you are not feeling happy here. Well with all the horrible news going on today, why would you add this site to that? Yes some times there is a very heavy "doom and gloom" atmosphere but I still enjoy this sight.

so yes, If I felt the negativity here was effecting me I would chill and play elsewhere. with all else going on I simply don't need to voluntarily add more depressing stuff on top of that.

that being said, I would think that if you are upset about the splash mtn changes this would be the perfect site for you. You can vent all you want and have a boat load of fellow fans to kvetch with.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It doesn’t matter where you go...the “tone” will never compensate for the substance when Disney enters “bad” (relatively speaking) times...

And we’re there...
What do I mean?
1. Little investment
2. Decay in older ride systems combined with little to no new ones.
3. Increases in prices wherever they can get it.
4. “Yo-yo” promotions trying to disguise #3 while still trying to shake money out of everyone in desperation from the margins.
5. Bad economy at home eroding the “fantasy” of it all...
6. Difficulty in airline travel/convenience.

...just off the top of my head 😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom