masks with special needs

rob0519

I just saw that the head of the CDC says if everyone wore masks for the next 6 weeks we could drive this virus into the ground.
We all know all people won't wear masks. Driving the numbers down isn't eliminating the virus and until there is a successful and widely distributed vaccine, you can expect to be wearing masks in most, if not all public settings.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
We all know all people won't wear masks. Driving the numbers down isn't eliminating the virus and until there is a successful and widely distributed vaccine, you can expect to be wearing masks in most, if not all public settings.
I was simply pointing out a positive piece of info.
But if you want to.be negative it seems unlikely we will find a successful vaccine that does more than just slightly decrease therisk. Probably much less so than even the flu shot does and we know the flu shot is at it's best 40% effective and you need it every year. (I still get it but just saying I know it's not that great of protection)

mergatroid

I'm sure they'll work with families who can't use them. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Not really. Right now masks are mandated as the belief is they save lives, think about that for a second. So somebody who sadly suffers from autism and can't wear a mask should be exempt even though they could be spreading a disease that can kill? You're putting the albeit small chance of somebody spreading covid 19 over somebody going to a theme park under the assumption that everyone wears masks, catching it and dying?

I have dystonia so wouldn't be allowed to fly a plane. My human rights aren't being abused here, it's just my desire to do something shouldn't outweigh the effects my desire could have on others. Some things may not seem fair, but the world's not a fair place either. Anyone taking legal action to insist they don't have to wear a mask in a theme park during a pandemic is just selfish. Nobody WANTS to wear them, many who don't decide not to go. Going to Disney is a decision one makes and not essential to life, but yes let's put peoples lives at risk so an individual gets to go to Disney during a pandemic!!!!

Last edited:

NelleBelle

Agreed--going to a theme park is NOT an essential task such as shopping for food (which frankly, there are other ways of obtaining, but I digress from that topic). Going to a theme park during a health crisis is NOT a priority and it infringes on safety. But go ahead, continue to clog the legal system with, yet again, another frivolous law suit 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All I wish to say further is that I am considering legal action on the matter.
It’s a vacation...nothing more.

I think perspective is becoming a lost concept.
You can feel free, but when the world is in the middle of a pandemic and your problem is not being able to visit a completely unessential place located in the pandemic's epicenter, I doubt many will be on your side.
....yeeeppppp

cmanley23

I have 3 special needs kids and all of them have been diagnosed with Autism when they were 5-7 years old. We have worked with them when we have to go out for appointments or other errands that when they're with us they have to wear their mask because of what's going on right now. So far... we haven't had any episodes yet where they couldn't keep them on. Honestly not sure how they'd do at Disneyland or Disney World when it's supposed to be fun and now being safe... I would hope they'd do okay, but without being there, I can't answer that part. :)

Weather_Lady

I have been speaking with Disney's legal department about this in the past few weeks as it would be discrimination to not make exceptions for guests with special needs.

As the legal department probably informed you (correctly), "not making exceptions for guests with special needs" is not, by itself, discrimination, and merely having a disability doesn't allow an individual to dictate the terms of his access to places of public accommodation. The law requires that "reasonable" accommodations be made to ensure equal access by guests with disabilities -- it doesn't require businesses to allow guests to endanger themselves or others, even if their disability is what creates the hazard. That's why there aren't disability-related exceptions for seatbelt laws, helmet requirements, life jacket requirements, etc., and why a person with Tourette's who uncontrollably yells swear words and racial slurs, or someone with a disorder that causes them to fondle their genitals non-stop (yes, there is such a disorder, and I once worked on a legal matter involving someone afflicted with it), or to lash out and punch people for no reason (also an actual disorder), can be lawfully denied entry or asked to leave.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

All I wish to say is that is a monumental waste of time AND I don't believe you. Have a good day!

I don't believe it either. No lawyer worth their salt would take their case, because it's too well-settled that reasonable accommodations don't include permitting threats to public health. (While I don't pretend to be an expert in many things, this happens to be something I know a little bit about: in real life, I'm an attorney with 20+ years of experience, much of it focused on federal anti-discrimination laws).

Last edited:

mergatroid

Come off it, a kid social distancing in fresh air poses no risk.

So what you're saying is people have just made up this preventative measure for the fun of it? How do you think the millions of people throughout the world who've had it, caught it? You obviously must know the answer to that question to make the above statement? To pose no risk he must be immune to it and you know this, that's great news because it means we've got this thing beat. When are you going to share this with the authorities as you know so much more about it than them, you'll become famous!!!

Now if people want to argue the 'science' behind masks, that's a whole different matter. I'm sure we could both find professionals arguing both for and against them. As a precaution though it's been decided that wearing masks helps prevent the spread, that's the opinion of many and even if they're wrong it's not as though it's that disruptive to try it.

If the science is wrong and masks end up not making a difference then what's the end result? People are inconvenienced a bit when they visit Disney and some can't go at all because they can't or don't want to wear masks.

Compare that to the outcome if the science is right and people go without masks, what's the end result? More people get infected and pass it on and more people die, yes people DIE. All because people didn't wear a mask and decided that their fun going to a theme park mask-less, outweighed the possibility of spreading a disease that could kill somebody else. Somebody please explain how that can be considered fair or just in a society where we should do our best to take care of each other?

Imagine a close friend or relative being killed by a drunk driver like happened to me 25 years ago. Imagine that drivers excuse being "Yeah but I wouldn't have done it if I thought I would hurt anyone". He probably meant that too, to some degree. He'd probably driven home drunk before and thought it's a quiet road, there's no chance I'll crash. There'll be people reading this who've driven drunk themselves but never been caught or had a crash, they'll probably know deep down that what they did was selfish though and that they're lucky nothing happened.

It's easy saying "Come off it, a kid social distancing in fresh air poses no risk". It's not so easy justifying it if you're wrong and somebody dies as a result of this attitude though is it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom