Are the rumors surrounding the Star Wars Sequels being decanonized true? (An in-depth look)

Discovery Park Studios

Original Poster
This has been a major discussion in the Star Wars community and is now making headlines.
I wonder what you guys think about this situation and if it is true?

Here's a little history if you want some:
YouTube creator Overlord DVD posted a video on June 17th of 2020 called: "Star Wars Leak | The Secret Plan to Save Star Wars"
(Link to video: )
This is an "update" to the previous leak that WDWPro on these forums talked about. It is considered as the "Lucasfilm Civil War" by fans. Overlord did make a video on this subject as well.
Continuing the previous subject, Doomcock talks about this "update." Instead of crediting the leaker (like he did before) he claimed it was his own insider.
He mentions there are three sides o this "civil war" when in the previous video he stated there was only two. he does have a message saying this all could be misinformation or fact but never exactly said take it with a grain of salt.
Anyways, this secret plan to "save Star Wars" can be dumbed down to decanonizing the recently-released Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.
Now this could sound plausible and it did at first (explained later). His source claims Faveru wants to remove the Sequel Trilogy from canon in order to "save Star Wars." He later goes on to say that in order to do this retcon they use something known as the veil of the force. If you are not familiar with this it is a major part of the final season of Star Wars Rebels. It is this "World between Worlds" which links time and space together through the force.
Doomcock claims that is the key to removing the Sequel Trilogy from canon.
Now this sounds interesting if this didn't contradict what has been previously said.
Overlord published a video discussing the Lucasfilm "Civil War" on May 12th of 2020 and almost everything he says goes against what he says now.
(Link to video: )
Now a huge part of this is that the info is different and just could be misinformation. Some words come from WDWPro, a verified source on this webpage, different words come from an unnamed source who I have not been able to find much credibility to because of many reasons (Explained later).
Now he did say information is coming from many sides of this "civil war" and the words of WDWPro could have been from a faction. Their source could have been from Faveru's side and not mentioning the decanonization could have been an effort to keep it quiet but I doubt that.
This source of Overlord has always gone unnamed and it is hard to tell if it is the same source everytime.
Now he has gotten leaks about The Rise of Skywalker right and claimed it was his source but if you were on the r/StarWarsLeaks subreddit late last year you'd notice the big main insiders talking about Episode 9 and leaking it left and right. So it is possible this source never existed and he just claimed info was his when it came from someone else (I have been researching into this but it is hard to find many leads there).
But then Overlord strikes back with another video called "Star Wars Leaks Reveal Exactly How the Sequel Trilogy Will Be ERASED" which was published on June 23rd.
(Video Link: )
He goes more in-depth on how the Sequels will be erased from canon which this is what led me to the conclusion this was all false.
The claim is that Palpatine survived Return of the Jedi by traveling through the veil of the force to Exogol after being thrown down the shaft by Darth Vader. Now this is a big problem because it doesn't line up with what the novel said.
Here is a quote from The Rise of Skywalker Official Novelization:

Falling ... Falling ... Falling ... down a massive shaft, the betrayal sharp and stinging, a figure high above, black clad and helmeted and shrinking fast. His very own apprentice had turned against him, the way he himself had turned against Plagueis ... whose secret to immortality he had stolen.

Plageuis had not acted fast enough in his own moment of death. But Sidious, sensing the flickering light in his apprentice, had been ready for years. So the falling, dying Emperor called on all the dark power of the Force to thrust his consciousness far, far away, to a secret place he had been preparing. His body was dead, an empty vessel, long before it found the bottom of the shaft, and his mind jolted to a new awareness in a new body -- a painful one, a temporary one.

Palpatine died in Episode 6 physically, he did not fast travel.
This is what led to my conclusion while not mentioning some industry insiders also calling the bluff.
Earlier today Jeremy Conrad on Twitter commented on this discussion with a simple "No they aren't."

If you aren't familiar with Overlord/ Doomcock here is a brief description:
He first joined YouTube on February 9th of 2017 and since then has gained over 170,000 subscribers. For the past few months he has been talking Star Wars information and recently a video that Disney is going bankrupt.

Yeah I'd call a bluff on this one and I'd recommend sharing this to spread the word on this.

Wendy Pleakley

This is nonsensical, and the notion of "erasing" content from a franchise because some people disliked a particular installment (be they the minority or majority) is stupid.

Most of the Star Wars films are imperfect. This just feels like more whining from the people that didn't like some or all of the new films and can't let it go.

Screamface

This is nonsensical, and the notion of "erasing" content from a franchise because some people disliked a particular installment (be they the minority or majority) is stupid.

How likely this is, depends on how the premise is framed. The idea of Disney announcing, "nope, let's start again." Seems ridiculous. However;

If there is any truth in these leaks, it almost certainly would be the question of, "Does the Disney+ Star Wars universe abide by the sequels or are they free to do their own thing?" It makes complete sense that Filoni and Faverau would not want to be boxed in by the sequels. It limits creative possibilities and would prevent them from pulling great content from the EU.

So it wouldn't necessarily be a rebuke of the sequels. It would simply be, "what is the best creative choice" for the stories they are now telling.

I don't think this is unreasonable or unlikely.

Discovery Park Studios

Original Poster
How likely this is, depends on how the premise is framed. The idea of Disney announcing, "nope, let's start again." Seems ridiculous. However;

If there is any truth in these leaks, it almost certainly would be the question of, "Does the Disney+ Star Wars universe abide by the sequels or are they free to do their own thing?" It makes complete sense that Filoni and Faverau would not want to be boxed in by the sequels. It limits creative possibilities and would prevent them from pulling great content from the EU.

So it wouldn't necessarily be a rebuke of the sequels. It would simply be, "what is the best creative choice" for the stories they are now telling.

I don't think this is unreasonable or unlikely.
I do get why there is hate for the films but the idea of back treading on something you had worked on for almost a decade with billions of dollars spent is just a dumb move
This is based off unsourced, unverified rumors from a YouTuber in a mask named “Doomcock.”

Should anyone really have to explain how absurdly unreliable that is?

It’s just dumb fan fiction from the “Fandom Menace” crowd masquerading as news, just like the dumb rumor that Galaxy’s Edge would be rethemed to Aladdin.

That is what I was trying to say

Screamface

I do get why there is hate for the films but the idea of back treading on something you had worked on for almost a decade with billions of dollars spent is just a dumb move

I really think people are looking at it from the wrong angle. It's not a dumb movie.

A dumb move would be handicapping The Mandolorian and the stories they want to tell in that universe, with other shows and movies with the unimaginative boring limitations the sequels would impose. It basically neuters any potential to expand and grow the shows outside of outer rum skirmishes. It also would eliminate the Imperial remnants as a threat. Limit the use of The Force, Jedi, Sith and so forth. Adding Asoka is already going probably going to ad contradictions.

I may be making assumptions, but this makes complete sense to me. Creatively and from a business perspective. I don't think we'll get any announcement. The leaks are just coming from discussions planning on how to proceed with the IP.

Wendy Pleakley

I really think people are looking at it from the wrong angle. It's not a dumb movie.

A dumb move would be handicapping The Mandolorian and the stories they want to tell in that universe, with other shows and movies with the unimaginative boring limitations the sequels would impose. It basically neuters any potential to expand and grow the shows outside of outer rum skirmishes. It also would eliminate the Imperial remnants as a threat. Limit the use of The Force, Jedi, Sith and so forth. Adding Asoka is already going probably going to ad contradictions.

I may be making assumptions, but this makes complete sense to me. Creatively and from a business perspective. I don't think we'll get any announcement. The leaks are just coming from discussions planning on how to proceed with the IP.

I don't buy that argument. The Mandalorian, as an example is so far a pretty small scale story focusing on a few characters. It takes places well before the Force Awakens so there's more than enough room to move in terms of story development.

Plus, they're good writers. They can expand on what we know from the Force Awakens and still tell the story of Imperial and Rebel forces post RotJ and create links to the new trilogy. I just don't see it hampering them. Besides, people seem to love the Clone Wars cartoon despite mixed reactions to the prequels. No reason people won't like new stories that take place during the new era.

but that is EXACTLY what Disney did to the original Star Wars EU.

Erasing a series of novels is very different than erasing three movies. The novels had convoluted storylines that would have been hard to work around, plus I the majority of the audience doesn't read those (that I know of), so it would be confusing. They were written when it was assumed there would never be a sequel, so they killed off major characters and did a lot of things that would have made using the original characters complicated.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I don't buy that argument. The Mandalorian, as an example is so far a pretty small scale story focusing on a few characters. It takes places well before the Force Awakens so there's more than enough room to move in terms of story development.

Plus, they're good writers. They can expand on what we know from the Force Awakens and still tell the story of Imperial and Rebel forces post RotJ and create links to the new trilogy. I just don't see it hampering them. Besides, people seem to love the Clone Wars cartoon despite mixed reactions to the prequels. No reason people won't like new stories that take place during the new era.

Erasing a series of novels is very different than erasing three movies. The novels had convoluted storylines that would have been hard to work around, plus I the majority of the audience doesn't read those (that I know of), so it would be confusing. They were written when it was assumed there would never be a sequel, so they killed off major characters and did a lot of things that would have made using the original characters complicated.
It wasn't just novels.

Screamface

According to the TFA lore, The Imperials all ed off to a hermit kingdom, the Republic see's so little threat, they're already disarming at the time of The Mandolorian.

Baby Yoda, and brining in Asoka open up a giant can of worms when it comes to Jedi and force users. If anything, The Mando is already contradicting the sequels universe.

You have to remember, the sequels ignored a hell of a lot of Star Wars lore that is considered canon.

The plan is to do a lot more than Mando. They aren't going to do a bunch of similar small stories.

Plus, they're good writers.

So why should they be limited by trying to work around and fit into the work of bad writers? The sequels had no grand narrative or vision. It just defaulted the premise back to the originals.

Wendy Pleakley

So why should they be limited by trying to work around and fit into the work of bad writers? The sequels had no grand narrative or vision. It just defaulted the premise back to the originals.

When you write stories for an established franchise, you generally have to be consistent with the existing material, good or bad. That's just the reality.

Removing EU content is different than "removing" movies. The novels etc. aren't as well known by the general public, and those of us who read tie-in material generally understand they're often not canon, or are "canon until they aren't".

We also need to remember, that for everyone who hates a given movie, someone else loved it. If we only keep the movies that were universally beloved by everyone, we might be left with absolutely nothing.

The Force Awakens story played it safe, but it ultimately remains the highest grossing domestic movie of all time. Are you really going to argue that it isn't popular and should be excised?

erasure fan1

I think that there is zero chance they exile the sequels. If they thought they could make money from re-doing them, I'm sure they would. But even they aren't dumb enough to try and convince millions of casual moviegoers that the 3 movies they just invested in weren't real. Realistically they will just leave this time frame and start new. Even trying to pull a JJ time travel star trek switch-a-roo would be way too confusing for the average moviegoer. Especially this soon.

Screamface

When you write stories for an established franchise, you generally have to be consistent with the existing material, good or bad. That's just the reality.

Removing EU content is different than "removing" movies. The novels etc. aren't as well known by the general public, and those of us who read tie-in material generally understand they're often not canon, or are "canon until they aren't".

We also need to remember, that for everyone who hates a given movie, someone else loved it. If we only keep the movies that were universally beloved by everyone, we might be left with absolutely nothing.

The Force Awakens story played it safe, but it ultimately remains the highest grossing domestic movie of all time. Are you really going to argue that it isn't popular and should be excised?

The general public are not going to care if the TV shows have Jedi, Sith, Inquisitors, Imperial remnants, groups, counter wars with the Republic in ways that contradict with the Sequels.

The sequels are the ones who ignored a huge part of Star Wars because they were made by people whose knowledge of Star Wars ended in 1983. They even ignore each other and can't keep the story straight. Remember the sequels completely S#$* all over the original trilogies.

It's not going to be an announcement a cancelling of the sequels. They'll just start building out the TV world without it being a prequel to TFO.

Maybe they'll pretend it's all canon, the story is so poorly explained in the sequel films, they could probably just scrap a bunch of the novels, comics, playing cards and wrapping paper used to explain the backstory. Almost no one would know the changes besides those hate reading that material to post online how dumb it is that Han Solo sold his Medal for drinking money.

Joesixtoe

They can't erase the sequels because they built a billion dollar land on both sides of the country themed to them. In the future I can definitely see them re-done, but for now I bet Disney just doesn't focus on it as much as they had planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom