Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Dizneykid

The employees can get tested elsewhere for free if they want. What good does it really do? It's not like the NBA where they are trying to create a bubble. You'd have to test them all daily to make any difference. Since guests aren't tested I'm not sure that helps either.

Maybe the information keeps changing but I was under the impression that guests pose far less threat to each other and staff than staff amongst themselves. Disney seems to have created as close to a bubble as you can by screening employees and temp checks for all. It's not perfect but nothing ever would be. Staff has free will. As long as some of them are gathering outside of work more than others, testing would have to be done every day to be useful. I feel like the whole point was that precautions reduce risk of exposure in the first place. Basketball players are tested daily because the close contact is unavoidable and they likely can't wear masks to play.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
New York has 30x the death of Florida. There's one area of the country that has egg on their face, and specifically the governors who ordered COVID patients be put in nursing homes.
That’s kinda like blaming the first soldiers on the beach during D Day for getting shot.

There were mistakes made in the choas and unknown. For sure. But I didn’t jump into the car and enter the Indy 500 when I got my learners permit

mickeymiss

How soon do the magic bands show up now? We arrive on July 18th and I havent gotten them yet
Is it too late to call them and ask them to deliver them to your resort room? That's what we used to do. I knew we'd forget them if they were sent here. We are using our old ones this year. I thought they were sent about 4 weeks before arrival.

havoc315

Nobody "suppressed" data. Florida has been publishing detailed data since very early and before almost all other states. Wanting the data to be centralized is not "suppressing" it.

The big "suppression" conspiracy that Rebekah Jones is fighting is that Florida separates out non-residents and only publishes the detailed information for residents on the dashboard. The fact that most, if not almost all, other States do the same thing in their reporting makes this less of a conspiracy and more of a debate on how the tracking should be done.

As for being a "hot mess" I disagree. With much more widespread testing and capturing a lot more mild/asymptomatic cases, Florida is nowhere near the peak that NY had in daily "case" count.

For a little perspective, the daily new case count is less than 0.04% of the population of Florida even on the worst day.

That’s like saying someone with $100 million isn’t wealthy because they have a lot less money than Bill Gates.

Hopefully no state has to ever reach NY levels. NY happened because it had tens of thousands of cases spreading in February and early March undetected. By the time testing and preventive measures started in mid/late March, it was too late to prevent a massive death toll.

Florida and other areas didn’t have that issue. They had the opportunity to institute measures before there was wide spread.
Had places like Florida instituted the same measures as NY, Florida might be down to under 100 cases per day now, instead of 6000+.

and yes, it’s a mess. No, it’s not nearly as bad as peak NY, but that shouldn’t be the goal post.
Let’s indeed say that 0.04% of the population is teasing positive per day. By most estimates, we are now only capturing 1 out of every 5-10 infections. (In the early days, we were only capturing 1 in 10-20).
We will err on the side of low spread for this analysis — let’s say we are now capturing 1 out of 4 positives. That means .16% of Floridians are being infected per day.
The number is growing every day — but let’s again err on low spread, assume it stays flat for a month. That’s 4.8% of Floridians infected in a month.
Now let’s use a low fatality rate. Most studies have placed Covid fatality as 0.5-1%. But again, let’s err on the low side — day it’s only .3%.
So that would imply about 3000 deaths. That’s basically the minimum level of death that would be expected.. we erred on the low side in all our calculations. Could easily be 5,000-15,000.

But even 3,000 deaths a month — most of which were avoidable — is a total mess.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s like saying someone with $100 million isn’t wealthy because they have a lot less money than Bill Gates.

Hopefully no state has to ever reach NY levels. NY happened because it had tens of thousands of cases spreading in February and early March undetected. By the time testing and preventive measures started in mid/late March, it was too late to prevent a massive death toll.

Florida and other areas didn’t have that issue. They had the opportunity to institute measures before there was wide spread.
Had places like Florida instituted the same measures as NY, Florida might be down to under 100 cases per day now, instead of 6000+.

and yes, it’s a mess. No, it’s not nearly as bad as peak NY, but that shouldn’t be the goal post.
Let’s indeed say that 0.04% of the population is teasing positive per day. By most estimates, we are now only capturing 1 out of every 5-10 infections. (In the early days, we were only capturing 1 in 10-20).
We will err on the side of low spread for this analysis — let’s say we are now capturing 1 out of 4 positives. That means .16% of Floridians are being infected per day.
The number is growing every day — but let’s again err on low spread, assume it stays flat for a month. That’s 4.8% of Floridians infected in a month.
Now let’s use a low fatality rate. Most studies have placed Covid fatality as 0.5-1%. But again, let’s err on the low side — day it’s only .3%.
So that would imply about 3000 deaths. That’s basically the minimum level of death that would be expected.. we erred on the low side in all our calculations. Could easily be 5,000-15,000.

But even 3,000 deaths a month — most of which were avoidable — is a total mess.
All of a sudden it appears that people don’t want to be tested in Florida? Still haven’t heard a good reason why raw tests have fallen this week? That’s what’s weird. Oh...and the 4 day shudown on testing after today.

So we’d really need to see what these numbers look like next week.

I did a read an article from palm beach the other day that had a line such as this “the county conducted an impressive 1,100 tests on Monday...and only had 269 positives”

Huh??? I hope I read those numbers wrong...because both are pathetic.

Jedijax719

Everything that involves large amounts of people (or even sometimes small get togethers) will cause spikes of COVID-19. That is particularly a problem in Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona lately. Sure, WDW can open by July 15. However, there will be massive spikes and repercussions from that reopening. There's no avoiding it unless EVERY person who enters is given a test for COVID-19. Not temperature checks. Not a health survey. Not just masks (and since social distancing will still be difficult). Clear tests beforehand and then the denial of anyone testing positive from entering. Even then, because of how the virus shows up in test results, safety is not 100% guaranteed.

That said, no state can test everyone who has an intention of going on a vacation, symptoms or not. Unfortunately, that's not feasible. Thus, the reopening of Disney World, as much as I want it to happen safely, will have its repercussions.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I know some people have chosen to look for political attacks as opposed to science.
I live by 1 of the NY hot zones. I know 6 people personally who died from Covid. None of them were in nursing homes. I also work with doctors who saw patients dropping every day, none of which were in nursing homes.
Most of the nursing home deaths were due to unchecked viral spread in February and early March.. when we didn’t even know the virus was here. By April/May, to keep hospital beds open for a surge, some Covid positive patients were returned to nursing homes. Probably a mistake in retrospect, but also not a major driver of death. (Untested staff bringing in Covid was a much bigger issue).

In total in NY, nursing home deaths have accounted for 21% of the total in the state. So the overwhelming majority of deaths in NYS had absolutely nothing to do with nursing homes. And of that 21%, most of those infections seeded in February and March, leading to March/April deaths.
21% where did you get that number. It's laughably wrong.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
At the beginning of a pandemic where people were getting it who had no idea they had it because there wasnt proper testing for it until after it had already spread. At that point it was already out of control and took months to get control of due to a number of things.... until idiots decided it was ok to not follow guidelines and now here we are again. The people who are causing the spike this time did it out of sheer carelessness and idiocy as you put it. It's clear you're devoid of some things and not worth the time it takes to type anything further. I refuse to bother with people who clearly thrive off of the attention they feel they get from the comments they make and so I'm going to use my better judgment and ignore it.
FWIW, most of NY Is just as open as Florida now. Are they idiots too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom