Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJJohn12

Never heard of this before, and I used to be huge into Who. Funny stuff.
Those threads are usually the BEST discussions over on Gallifrey Base after a new episode premiers - they're all about stepping outside the fan community to see how "normal" people see the media. Really cool stuff and ethic.

Chi84

Premium Member
We dont need a poll to know that wasn't true. There's enough to debate in this thread without obvious errors.
I wasn’t referring to a small number of people on a dedicated website. I know the comments show that the people posting on this thread love the theme. Disney has a much broader customer base to consider. And I was kidding about the poll. Not enough people here to give it any validity whatsoever.

seascape

My ealiest relatives came to the USA on the second voyage to Plymouth, Massachusetts. I have had relatives fight in every war the US had and on both sides in the civil war. I love the American Experience and the HoP and hope they are not changed. As I previously posted I love Splash Mountain. I also love Frontier Land and TSI. However, maybe WDW can not only redo Splash Mountain but also BTMRR and TSI into a new land based on PatF. Put Tiana's place on the island and turn BRMRR into a Dr. Facilier ride. I think if Disney wants to do right by Tiana, just changing Splash Mountain is not enough given the area.

rk03221

Next they’ll remove Walts statue. Seriously, if they removed Winston Churchills, Walt stands no chance

The_Jobu

I wasn’t referring to a small number of people on a dedicated website. I know the comments show that the people posting on this thread love the theme. Disney has a much broader customer base to consider.

To say everyone goes on the ride for the flume and not the theme is crazy generalization though. You have no way of knowing that only a small number of people on this website are the only people that cherish the theme. It's just as dismissive to say the ride doesn't bother anyone except a small number of people on twitter.

Smooth

Lol more like "I'm taking things in perspective" ground.

I've got no horse in this race because I could care less if they got rid of it so I'm just lurking. I've always found it interesting though the amount of passion people have over certain rides
Passion is what got the us The Disney Universe.

Bleed0range

I still don’t get why people don’t understand the hypocrisy in cancelling something because it’s source material is offensive. Once again. Mickey did blackface. Mario is an Italian stereotype, most prominently in the beloved Super Mario 64. The Pokémon Jynx was a blackface stereotype. PatF has stereotypes with voodoo man. Peter Pan and several other Disney movies have stereotypes.

We say that it’s bad because the Brer characters were only in SotS. But, all of those movies (Peter Pan, Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, etc.) were all just singular pieces of media. And if this is the case, why not create new interpretations of these stories on film?

Splash was based on the animated segments of SotS, which have been rereleased on their own through numerous Disneyland television specials. The main problematic element of these segments is the “Tar Baby”. The Tar Baby originated from the original stories without mal intent, so you can argue against whether or not it can be criticized by the same merit as other stereotypes in Disney films. But even if you put it on equal playing field to something like the Native Americans in Peter Pan, it’s got equal or less percentage of screen time in its respective film.

I don’t like the hypocrisy. I don’t get the double standard. And there is a double standard. You can argue whether or not being based on an insensitive piece of media calls for change. But you can’t defend another piece of media when it does the same thing.

Didn’t you already post this once?

At some point change has to occur. It hasn’t been enough to make small changes to deal with our past. America has a pretty rocky history and things like SOTS are obviously of their time (even inappropriate for their time really), but that doesn’t mean we have to give them glorification through something like this ride.

SOTS belongs in the past and as much as you may like the animated segments they are forever tainted by the movie as a whole.

Mickey has changed over the years as has Mario so their stereotypes don’t reflect who they are now. SOTS is frozen in time. It hasn’t changed while the world around it has. There’s no progress that has been made with the media or it’s characters.

I would suspect everyone in America will have to get used to more and more change occurring as we try to move past the racist history we created for ourselves. Segregation was not even a full lifetime ago. 60 years ago in fact, in Walt’s lifetime.

People may not like it, but that’s the history America made for itself. We fought each other in the civil war over this and we’re fighting each other now. I know it’s silly to think of it this way but all those white people screaming at black kids during segregation are not that far off from the people screaming over these smaller issue now. Change comes hard. Don’t be on the wrong side.

Face facts that we don’t need to have a ride about SOTS. We don’t need confederate statues. Etc., etc.

Brer Oswald

Didn’t you already post this once?

At some point change has to occur. It hasn’t been enough to make small changes to deal with our past. America has a pretty rocky history and things like SOTS are obviously of their time (even inappropriate for their time really), but that doesn’t mean we have to give them glorification through something like this ride.

SOTS belongs in the past and as much as you may like the animated segments they are forever tainted by the movie as a whole.

Mickey has changed over the years as has Mario so their stereotypes don’t reflect who they are now. SOTS is frozen in time. It hasn’t changed while the world around it has. There’s no progress that has been made with the media or it’s characters.

I would suspect everyone in America will have to get used to more and more change occurring as we try to move past the racist history we created for ourselves. Segregation was not even a full lifetime ago. 60 years ago in fact, in Walt’s lifetime.

People may not like it, but that’s the history America made for itself. We fought each other in the civil war over this and we’re fighting each other now. I know it’s silly to think of it this way but all those white people screaming at black kids during segregation are not that far off from the people screaming over these smaller issue now. Change comes hard. Don’t be on the wrong side.

Face facts that we don’t need to have a ride about SOTS. We don’t need confederate statues. Etc., etc.
Mario has certainly not changed. I still play Mario games to this day. The voice is there. The pasta jokes still come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom