Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Bird is Da Word

What in the world is Paw Patrol 😂 I didn't call you a racist and you can't speak for everyone who made or loves Splash Mountain.

Paw Patrol is a Nick Jr cartoon with first responder dogs that help in the local community. It's cancellation is being called for by ridiculous people because police = "systemically racist", therefore Paw Patrol is "problematic". Obviously people who love Splash Mountain aren't racist. To suggest otherwise is extremely disingenuous.

the.dreamfinder

as someone else mentioned....at this point the Disney company needs to do something about Mickey too....because some of his cartoons from that time period certainly are questionable....
Done
1593130930798.jpeg

UNCgolf

Also, I'm all for this leading to a Jungle Cruise replacement!

That's one ride for which I do not get the love, and as I've pointed out here before, you can see the real animals at Animal Kingdom. It serves little purpose now, and that space could be used for something new and grand.

It was not well received when I advocated for such a thing before, though -- I expect it won't be now either.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
They served Navy and Air Force.

think they’d be offended one of my grandfathers landed his plane after bombing a German base and getting shot midair and his plane being heavily damaged as well.

nevermind that I have samurai swords from the Japanese guys that surrendered to my other grandfather. LOL

so what decade has been your favorite so far? It seemed like the 80s were pretty good in terms of people getting along, but maybe I’m seeing it through people’s nostalgia
Thanks for that. I’m an Army Vet. Served I. The second gulf war. The 90s were my favorite actually. Last decade wasn’t too bad, but I saw this train coming. I just didn’t know how big it was.

RoysCabin

Their initial decision to NOT have President Trump talk in HoP says otherwise.
That's been pretty thoroughly debunked; the delay was due to disagreements over what would be in the president's script that went back and forth for awhile.

And even if it was true, I reiterate: Disney would have only done it because they would fear that their bottom line would be impacted in some way. That's the end all, be all of their motivation, as it is for every major company.

Hawg G

It won’t take 2 minutes to rip the head off that rabbit and replace it with a frog. Disney will be making massive cuts and this is a priority?!

Ain’t spending huge cash to renovate arguable the most popular ride on property besides FOP, and it’s longevity is unmatched. People don’t wait hours to ride Pirates in the Summer.

This redo will probably be on par with Superstar Limo to Monsters Inc.

Da Bird is Da Word

I can't believe Disney is changing the ride . This is only the beginning, the same article calling for cancellation of Splash also called for Dumbo, Peter Pan to be removed and Lady and the tramp to be banned .
Disney Parks is full of magic and innocence , I am not sure how far this will go .
We love Princess and the frog , I just hope they don't slap on a cheap overlay and make it as immersive as Splash already is .

Where does it end? Same with the anarchists tearing down statues. Some of them may be problematic, but sooner rather than later we'll be talking about blowing up Stone Mountain and Mt Rushmore. No Disney ride is safe from the PC mob.

LittleBuford

I wonder if the people who say Song of the South is a racist movie have seen it?

I am from the UK, where the film wasn’t banned, and had a video of Song of the South that I watched often. Even as a British child with very little knowledge of American history, I recognised that the film was romanticising the lives of African Americans who were in servile positions (I couldn’t quite tell if they were meant to be slaves or not). Such romanticisation may not be racist per se, but it’s deeply problematic and certainly plays into a racist discourse that tries to minimise the horrors of plantation life.

MrMcDuck

I can't believe Disney is changing the ride . This is only the beginning, the same article calling for cancellation of Splash also called for Dumbo, Peter Pan to be removed and Lady and the tramp to be banned .
Disney Parks is full of magic and innocence , I am not sure how far this will go .
We love Princess and the frog , I just hope they don't slap on a cheap overlay and make it as immersive as Splash already is .

Oh, this is just the beginning of the fun. We know how this will go. It’s the way it always goes with these types. Thankfully, not all with good values and a real education are old. Some of us millennials that managed to make it out of our school years with a sound mind will still be around to clean up the mess.

As for the PatF retheme, you shouldn’t expect much from it based on recent Disney history. It’s a great movie and deserves more, but this is modern Disney.

Hawg G

That's been pretty thoroughly debunked; the delay was due to disagreements over what would be in the president's script that went back and forth for awhile.

And even if it was true, I reiterate: Disney would have only done it because they would fear that their bottom line would be impacted in some way. That's the end all, be all of their motivation, as it is for every major company.

It’s cute you really think companies aren’t activist for political reasons, even if the bottom line is hurt.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I love the animation. I like that it tries to weave folk tales (the animated parts) in with live-action. But the portrayal of African Americans as happy-go-lucky minstrel types who long for the good old days, along with some of the slang and the interaction between black and white characters is racist. The tar-baby is racist. The live-action bookends are pretty poorly written and produced. I can see why Disney would not stand behind the film today, and why they do not appreciate the ongoing connection of the ride to the film.
I figured you’d say that. I don’t like the things you said either, but I believe it should be let out for all to see. I see what Disney tried to do, it just didn’t pan out right. He was happy to be free, but it wasn’t the happy go lucky time. I am happy that the man got the Oscar though.

This country though is done. They’ve found the way to topple this nation. From the inside out.

UNCgolf

I read somewhere on twitter that the number $50 Mill was thrown around.

Following up on this, I wonder how much money they spent on MMRR. I'm sure it was several times that amount.

They had to install a whole new ride system, which won't be an issue with Splash, but Splash is more than twice as long as MMRR, so there's far more space to fill with AAs (or screens, or projections).

Animaniac93-98

I am from the UK, where the film wasn’t banned, and had a video of Song of the South that I watched often. Even as a British child with very little knowledge of American history, I recognised that the film was romanticising the lives of African Americans who were in servile positions (I couldn’t quite tell if they were meant to be slaves or not). Such romanticisation may not be racist per se, but it’s deeply problematic and certainly plays into a racist discourse that tries to minimise the horrors of plantation life.

None of which is depicted in Splash Mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom