Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

It’s okay, they brought in an old white man to serve as a creative consultant and be a major public face for the project. As a creative consultant, this white man will help the teams develop the project and it will be presented to the white men who are the creative leads for the respective parks and the white man who is the president of their creative organization. Ultimately they will seek the final creative approval from the white men who serve as CEO and Executive Chairman. After this, the project teams must remember that their ideas are not worthwhile and they must only use ideas that come from an industry that is itself far too dominated by toxic and abusive white men.
It will be interesting to see where Ms. Carter's Imagineering career is in 5 years. One of the things I see repeated on social media is how black people are constantly frustrated by being brought onboard a project for "diversity," and trotted out when someone wants to look woke. And then having their opinions, suggestions and future career path marginalized in favor of white men. I wasn't sure of her name, so I Googled to make sure I got it right. I clicked on a couple different "mainstream media" articles and saw Bob Weis' name, Tony's name. It took going to the "site that must not be named" to get *her* name (I didn't want to scroll off my WDW Magic window, so I didn't look here and opened a new tab). Progress? Not feeling it.

stretchsje

Whew. Just went back and watched Princess and the Frog, and it is absolutely full of stereotypes. Negative stereotypes. Granted, so are many Disney movies. Cancel culture may just come for them all.

No Name

My 2 pennies is simple. If Disney won't even put Song of the South on Disney Plus or support it in any way, then it might be time for a retheming. It's hard to defend the ride with all the stuff from Song of the South when the company tossed the movie into the vault and threw away the key.

I love the ride and have a ton of merchandise from it, but my life wouldn't be ruined if it were changed. Ironically one of the ideas that keeps coming up is to retheme it with Zootopia characters.

I think this is the unfortunate consequence of the company and some of its fans seeing rides as extensions of or promoters of movie franchises or vise versa. Like I said in another thread, I feel like it’s a kid being judged for his/her aunt’s poor behavior. The two are related but the content is distinct. I’m all for eliminating systemic racism but I don’t find this to be an example of that.

I do think Princess and the Frog is a better choice than Zootopia, especially for its setting in the park, which portrays a legitimately concerning view of history rather than simply a tangential connection to a film, but I digress.

RoysCabin

I have a feeling that the Cultural Erasure being perpetrated now on a level nearly unprecedented in US history will foment a Counter-Erasure that will end up plunging society into ever deeper discord. Newton's Third Law. To erase, deny, or imply that aspects of American culture people can naturally self-associate with (including theme park log flumes with Academy Award-winning soundtracks) are defective or evil will lead some people to believe that they themselves are being considered defective or evil. People generally do not take too kindly to attacks on their identity.
Um...you do know about the amount of cultural erasure that was carried out on nonwhite populations across American history, right?

I'm talking things like schools that Natives were forced into to convert them from their traditional religions, cut their hair, and make them adopt European mannerisms, all as colonizers built over their land and erased signs of their presence and culture; enslaved Africans being sorted specifically so they could not easily bring their traditions with them after being abducted; Mexican people who lived in the American west suddenly having their legitimacy questioned because the US took the land they lived on from under them but had no plan to accommodate them; Chinese immigrants forced to only accept certain jobs by law, and being made to change their cultural hair and clothing or risk lynchings and race riots; the list goes on.

To call "a few statues designed for no other reason than to inspire racial terror" being taken down an "unprecedented level of erasure" first supposes that the Confederacy was a "culture", and also ignores pretty much the entirety of American history.

Bairstow

Nuance would also include understanding adaptation and censorship, both of which were used in the making of Splash Mountain.
...and personally I think they did an adequate job, but today's racial climate is different from the mid-80s, and there's a less objectionable and extremely viable IP ready to replace Song of the South now.

But yeah, there's about a thousand things I would use the money on at Disney World before I'd make this change.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
That doesn’t really matter though. Ask Fallon and Kimmel if things done early on in your career can come back and haunt you. Regardless of the path you’ve been on recently.

If some group decides to take old Mickey cartoons and make an issue with them - you better believe they will. Luckily that hasn’t happened. But it doesn’t mean it won’t.

All it takes is someone to ask "Did Disney whitewash Goofy?" or "Is Goofy based on a black stereotype?" and it could snowball from there... Scary stuff.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

No, if it's irredeemably racist.
Nuance, man.
I think this is a good time to bring this up.

Song of the South, without refute, is an offensive film. HOWEVER, having watched the film, and based on what is known about the creation of the film, there was absolutely no intent to make a mockery of or insult black people. It’s racist, but it’s “casually racist” (Meaning racist without intent). That’s still bad. However, it creates a bit of a strange paradox.

You look at the Cannibals in the Mickey Cartoons. That’s racism with the intent to mock. The Natives in Peter Pan. You can be the judge on that, but I feel it lies closer to mockery than innocent racism. The Simese Cats From Lady and the Tramp. I think you get the point.

Why is it okay to celebrate these films, despite these intentional cultural appropriations? Why can’t we put a disclaimer on SotS, but we can on these films?

The reason? Well there’s two:
1) SotS had a major E Ticket it was based on. Hiding it protected Splash. Well, look how that turned out.

2) SotS, despite being casually racist, is casually racist and awkward through much of the films runtime. 6/130 Mickey cartoons are racist. A very small amount of Peter Pan is dedicated to the stereotypes. Etc.

Should this be the merit to judging what is and isn’t okay? Who am I to make that call? But it’s interesting to note.

GoneForGood

The idea that Splash Mountain -- arguably Disney's most beloved ride, alongside Haunted Mansion -- has to go down the toilet because it is based on Song of the South is absolutely absurd.

I'm a young black man. I am a progressive one at that and anyone who isn't actively dismissing and/or turning a blind eye to racism can clearly see that Song of the South very much is based upon it. However SPLASH MOUNTAIN is not. It's a ride at a theme park, and depicts no humans let alone racial relations between them! No references to the movie are made. Dumbo is based on animal cruelty, all the princesses and castles are based on (cruel) fuedalism, and the entirety of Frontierland is based on the (obviously cruel) genocide and extermination/removal of Native Americans. We gonna take these down too? Ridiculous.

Disney consistently makes their parks worse, or at least almost never makes them better. A decision like this represents all the problems of modern Disney and why I thinknI can spend my tourist dollars better at another destination.
Thank you for speaking up :)

Brer Oswald

I think I understand that my voice..even as a black person who feels strongly about this, doesn't matter. I am slowly accepting this fact, I have always felt....odd about sharing my interest in these characters and their history..their REAL history..it shouldn't end this way..But. We lost.
Make them feel bad about it. They can take away your ride, but they can’t take away your passion for the story.

Da Bird is Da Word

Honestly? I'd be fine with Mt. Rushmore going.

I don't see much of a slippery slope here: people are most loudly and adamantly against statues and commemorations that glorify what they see as negative or even evil historical events. Mt. Rushmore fits that bill pretty well, given that it was built upon violently stolen land and serves as what amounts to a middle finger to the massacred and robbed Sioux people. More here: https://apnews.com/50f6bdb9e2fd2349bb39b99c1250b093

Meanwhile, I don't see anyone asking for, let's say, historically preserved southern plantations to be torn down. Most would rather see them preserved, slave quarters and all, as a reminder of where this country came from, and the real forces that shaped it, including those that aren't always comfortable to confront. There's a pretty big distinction between that and a statue created years after an event with the purpose of "let's antagonize this particular group of traditionally marginalized people" in mind.

Violently stolen land? Seriously? All land is stolen land. You can’t point to a single country today that wasn’t at one point stolen from someone else. Life isn’t fair. There are winners and losers. You can conquer or be the conquered. Europeans had guns and battleships, Natives had bows and arrows and sharp sticks. They didn’t stand a chance. If Americans didn’t take the land and make their own country, someone else would have. Mt Rushmore is an awesome piece of art, a remarkable feat of human ingenuity, and a greatly historical landmark that pays homage to America’s founding fathers. Blowing it up would be a travesty. No offense, but someone saying they’re okay with blowing up Mt Rushmore doesn’t have a leg to stand on when they insist there is no slippery slope. That’s as slippery as the slope gets.

Animaniac93-98

...and personally I think they did an adequate job, but today's racial climate is different from the mid-80s, and there's a less objectionable and extremely viable IP ready to replace Song of the South now.

If Splash Down Photos gets replaced with Bibbidi Bayou Boutique, we'll know the real reason why it was changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom