Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miru

I feel more like they had to do this, to a ride already based on an extant movie, than they wanted to.

_caleb

How is the storyline racist?
The storyline of the ride is not racist, it was changed from the film's story, which certainly is racist. But the switch from "tar-baby" to honey was a loose re-telling in an attempt to cover up the offensive original. As society becomes more concerned with getting rid of symbols of racism, it makes sense to me that Disney would change the story completely.

Tony Perkis

Uncle Remus wasn't a slave, nitwit. He was a sharecropper. Duh. Definition: a tenant farmer who gives a part of each crop as rent. He was a free man. Try not to paint everything you don't like with the same ignorant PC brush.

And Brer Rabbit was a character invented by blacks, whose tales were transcribed by Joel Chandler Harris, who invented Uncle Remus to related those tales. So what exactly makes Brer Rabbit OR Remus racist characters?
Could you please not use monolithic terms like “blacks”? Thank you.

Epcot_Imagineer

I mean... I don't mean to be the one to say it... but many people also believe that Princess and the Frog is itself a problematic movie. A black villain who is a voodoo witchdoctor? A movie placed in New Orleans directly after Katrina when many people of color were forced out of the city? A non-black prince who is the love interest of a black heroine? I'm just putting out things I've seen before on twitter...

NateD1226

Me trying to read each new post that pops up every second

tenor.gif

DAK1928

Will miss the soundtrack but I certainly support the idea.

Curious how it'll fit in to Frontierland at WDW 🤔. Hope the area retheme is high effort!

tathompson87

I don’t know why I expected more from some people who use this site. For some, your bigotry is shining like the second star to the right. You’re offended/mad/(fill in the blank) about a ride!?

Nostalgia is a part of the problem that keeps the country from moving forward. Feeling like its owed to you for a company you don’t run to keep things the way they were “back in the day” despite it offending somebody. Yes we give them our money and that means something but if you don’t like it don’t ride or just stop visiting. But they way some of you downplay the affects these type of things have on people is the true disgusting part. I really hope this thread gets closed...

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

I cannot believe this. This is the stupidest thing I ever even begin to think of that Disney has done. 99.9 percent of people that ride this ride have no clue about the film- because it has been shuttered for years. Nothing in the ride had anything racist in it. It was all removed for the ride.No tar baby, no Uncle Remus, nothing. And if the dialect is racist then everyone that speaks with a southern low country or Gullah accent offends people? Yo Sho’ nuff done lost yo mind. 😒

SpoiledBlueMilk

I get it. I understand the underlying connotations that the ride has with the film. But I am not behind this. I know Walt said the park should always be changing and should never be a museum, but Splash is such an iconic attraction. It's animatronics, flow and design is quintessentially Disney. Should there be a Princess and the Frog ride? Absolutely. I like the idea brought up in the forums to turn the speedway into a new water ride. Leave Splash alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom