Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk03221

Out of all the movies Disney has remade, I really wish they would remake Song of the South and set the record straight. I’m really bummed because splash mountain is my favorite ride and love the soundtrack. I understand it’s bad taste but people need to think about the time period which it was made. Erasing history never goes over well

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Soooooo, just thinking out loud here.

Splash is dead, correct? It won’t be reopening with the rest of the park in a few weeks?

Because, if it’s “problematic” enough to warrant this change of theme, it’s definitely problematic enough to be cancelled immediately, right?

They really need to throw up a scrim tomorrow and shut the thing down.

It's unlikely Disney will come out and say Splash is/was problematic because that's an admission. The line will be that they wanted to "plus" the attraction and make it better. They're already coming out with phrases like "planned for over one year."

To that I'd expect Splash to remain open.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
And George Lucas was a “creative consultant” on the new trilogy. These titles are meaningless.
EbXzV6xWAAEpgn5

Paradisefalls

Splash Mountain is an isolated situation so people saying “WHAT ARE THEY COMING FOR NEXT?!” Is a bit of an overrraction in my opinion. The reason for that is the IP in which Splash is based on which Disney has distanced themselves really since Song of The South was released. And has been going on long before statues were being torn down so I think we can separate that a bit from this conversation. Now 30 years ago when this opened they could get away with passing this off as some sort of theme park exclusive where they could pretend Splash wasn’t based on any sort of property. But nowadays with google and internet in our pockets a quick google search of Splash Mountain links it to Song of the South and thus the controversy of that movie itself. So I can understand them wanting to rethink this to in a sense finally cut all ties with Song of The South, it sucks that a great ride is victim to that but I understand it.
I will miss this ride it was quintessential Disney World for me so I feel why people are upset. But in no way do I think this has been a year in the making or that we will see this anytime soon. I think disney was trying to save face by saying this is in the works but I don’t expect to see it till 2023/2024 they are doing what they believe is their part in the national conversation right now.

Tony Perkis

Out of all the movies Disney has remade, I really wish they would remake Song of the South and set the record straight. I’m really bummed because splash mountain is my favorite ride and love the soundtrack. I understand it’s bad taste but people need to think about the time period which it was made. Erasing history never goes over well
What record should Disney be straightening here?

hokielutz

They said they've been working on it for a year. I don't think it's a knee-jerk decision.

They said they've been working on it... but its political speak. They also said Imagineering hasn't been inside the rides to perform assessments of what to do for the new attraction yet. Its real easy to come up with some artwork like they did because they have the talent to do so.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Soooooo, just thinking out loud here.

Splash is dead, correct? It won’t be reopening with the rest of the park in a few weeks?

Because, if it’s “problematic” enough to warrant this change of theme, it’s definitely problematic enough to be cancelled immediately, right?

They really need to throw up a scrim tomorrow and shut the thing down.
well... I feel like its closed half the year anyway with the constant refurbs lol

Magenta Panther

You're right! How dare they include a representation of an alligator after one accidental death that happened on their property. It's so offensive. They should instead keep the old ride themed to a racist movie about a slave instead! It's not like anyone died from being a slave! :rolleyes:

Uncle Remus wasn't a slave, nitwit. He was a sharecropper. Duh. Definition: a tenant farmer who gives a part of each crop as rent. He was a free man. Try not to paint everything you don't like with the same ignorant PC brush.

And Brer Rabbit was a character invented by blacks, whose tales were transcribed by Joel Chandler Harris, who invented Uncle Remus to related those tales. So what exactly makes Brer Rabbit OR Remus racist characters?

RSoxNo1

That being said, Splash has not been consistently 100% operational for a while... elements have either broken or turned off over time or are operating intermittently. But the ride is almost 30 years old so its not unheard of to perform an update to an aging ride beyond mechanical, paint and water filtering. “Walt Disney famously said that 'Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." Some of us have angst over this and want our favorite rides to remain untouched. (RIP Toad, etc)
My ride in October was one of the first times in a while where I believe everything was working (including the Blue Bird at the end).

MatheusPG

First the destruction of EPCOT and Hollywood Studios with its new generic themes and loss of charm, now this... The Walt Disney Company has lost all of its identity and no longer cares about being something else, it´s a regular company that only cares about money and appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom