Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffR

My heart is broken over this. I understand why they did it. I'm sure the change will be done very well. This was such a beloved attraction, and a few weeks of outcry erased it. It feels like they are trying to erase their history; the movie, music, characters are now all gone. I stand by my initial point in saying they should have put things in context; tell people who James Baskett was, explain the controveies of the film, but also explain how he was awarded an Oscar for his performance and how he wasn't even allowed to attend Opening Night, these things are important.

The ride needed work, and I know the Imagineers will do well and make something great. However, to me this feels like another monument being torn down by the mob.

PuertoRekinSam

The problems with the film are undeniable, and the attraction is forever linked to the film even if it does exclude the problematic themes.

The climax of the ride is based on one of the more controversial of the “Uncle Remus” stories.
Just do a google search for the line:
"Do anything you want with me – roas' me, hang me, skin me, drown me – but please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch"

to understand why it’s considered controversial by many.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It looks like this announcement probably occurred earlier than was originally planned. Likely intentional.

"As part of the creative development process, conceptual design work is well underway and Imagineers will soon be able to conduct preliminary reviews and develop a timeline for when the transformation can start to take shape."

GeoffR

Well they are going to demo Frontierland because it represents a time that is not looked at too fondly! Time for Frontierland and Liberty Square to go!

I look to Walt's Disneyland opening speech "Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America…with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. "

Looks like people want to avoid 'hard facts'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom