Nu-Citra Brainstorming Thread - Project Five: Give My Regards to Broadway

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I guess we're doing Incredibles then, unless someone has any other suggestions.

The goal of this show should be to separate from Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark as much as possible. Action is going to be really weird to portray in a stage musical, but I'm sure that we can make it work.
There's already a song we can use by a now-Disney-owned property! :p

goofyyukyuk

I think that's what would make it unique... all the Broadway adaptations have additions and extra components to them to differentiate themselves from the movies... it'd be great in The Incredibles to really elaborate on the stories of all the central characters- giving Syndrome/Mirage a more expansive backstory, a heavier focus on Dash and Violet, etc

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Dash could be done pretty easily quicksilver style. Everyone else freezes on stage and he moves at a regular speed.

He could do a whole number in the halls of his school where he keeps "freezing time" to sing a ballad about feeling alienated and hiding who he really is. Reprise with the same gimmick with syndrome troops chasing him in the woods on the island except now it is upbeat about him finally feeling like himself.

That effect could work better than trying to recreate him running on water while space ships chase him.

DashHaber

Here’s a song from Phineas and Ferb called “Fabulous” and I really think we should do something akin to this for Edna Mode.

Oh, that is a fun tune.

When I saw your mention of a fashion song for Edna, I initially pictured a patter song for her. I can imagine her rattling off the facts of details of her career as a superhero costume designer as a quick pace, with the occasional harsh punctuation of NO CAPES!

goofyyukyuk

Dash could be done pretty easily quicksilver style. Everyone else freezes on stage and he moves at a regular speed.

He could do a whole number in the halls of his school where he keeps "freezing time" to sing a ballad about feeling alienated and hiding who he really is. Reprise with the same gimmick with syndrome troops chasing him in the woods on the island except now it is upbeat about him finally feeling like himself.

That effect could work better than trying to recreate him running on water while space ships chase him.

Yes, for sure! Violet and Elastigirl are going to be the two that are a little more difficult to do... I'm thinking for Elastigirl, one way that would make sense would be to have her punching/kicking behind a screen that has an elongated arm/leg and another person's hand/foot hitting whoever she's trying to hit on the other side of the screen... that would be a little more difficult to pull off... I'm trying to find a picture to describe what I'm thinking, but apparently I can't find the right keywords haha!
As for Violet, it would probably be easiest and most convincing to put a purple spotlight on her, indicating that she is using her power to make herself invisible, and the rest of the stage is a little dimmer to really sell that effect.
I'm doing my best to describe what I'm picturing going on in my head haha, I'll try and see if I can find some pictures to explain better!

NigelChanning

Oh, that is a fun tune.

When I saw your mention of a fashion song for Edna, I initially pictured a patter song for her. I can imagine her rattling off the facts of details of her career as a superhero costume designer as a quick pace, with the occasional harsh punctuation of NO CAPES!
Maybe Bob rattles off ideas for a suit at her and she tells him to keep brainstorming and he suggests a cape and the song suddenly comes to a stop as she yells “NO CAPES!”

NigelChanning

Should we include scenes from the short “Jack Jack Attack”? I’ve always found that short to be hilarious and I love the character of the babysitter. It might diminish the shock value that Jack Jack has powers though.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, for sure! Violet and Elastigirl are going to be the two that are a little more difficult to do... I'm thinking for Elastigirl, one way that would make sense would be to have her punching/kicking behind a screen that has an elongated arm/leg and another person's hand/foot hitting whoever she's trying to hit on the other side of the screen... that would be a little more difficult to pull off... I'm trying to find a picture to describe what I'm thinking, but apparently I can't find the right keywords haha!
As for Violet, it would probably be easiest and most convincing to put a purple spotlight on her, indicating that she is using her power to make herself invisible, and the rest of the stage is a little dimmer to really sell that effect.
I'm doing my best to describe what I'm picturing going on in my head haha, I'll try and see if I can find some pictures to explain better!
Violet heavy scenes could be done with a full blacklight and black backdrop. Like the Under the Sea song from the Little Mermaid show at MGM studios. People in black jumpsuits bascially invisible moving object that she is supposed to be holding while invisible. They can cover her with a simple black blanket to make her disappear completely.

The purple light effect could work for simpler scenes or shorter bits.

Elastigirl is a tough one. A screen she can be partially behind could work. I don't really have any other ideas for that

goofyyukyuk

Should we include scenes from the short “Jack Jack Attack”? I’ve always found that short to be hilarious and I love the character of the babysitter. It might diminish the shock value that Jack Jack has powers though.
I would think we could? I don't think there'd be as much shock value in the musical as in the movie... in that same vein, I'd say it'd be cool to focus more on Helen's growth as a hero as well, given that it isn't really realistic to assume there'd be a musical of Incredibles 2 to accomplish that

goofyyukyuk

Violet heavy scenes could be done with a full blacklight and black backdrop. Like the Under the Sea song from the Little Mermaid show at MGM studios. People in black jumpsuits bascially invisible moving object that she is supposed to be holding while invisible. They can cover her with a simple black blanket to make her disappear completely.

The purple light effect could work for simpler scenes or shorter bits.

Elastigirl is a tough one. A screen she can be partially behind could work. I don't really have any other ideas for that

Yeah that's a good idea for Violet! The purple light effect would also work for the force field

NigelChanning

What if we added a scene where Bob attends a support group for past superheroes? There, we can show how almost every other past super has the ability to move on accept for Bob. He can talk to Gazerbeam, which adds to the shock value when he’s found missing a few days after. That can also be where Mirage spies on Bob. Maybe add a detail like “It’s been two weeks since I’ve last engaged in illegal superhero activity”

Last edited:

DashHaber

What if we added a scene where Bob attends a support group for past superheroes? There, we can show how almost every other past super has the ability to move on accept for Bob. He can talk to Gazerbeam, which adds to the shock value when he’s found missing a few days after. That can also be where Mirage spies on Bob.
Maybe that could be the opening of the musical, with that "Glory Days" song idea you mentioned.

Or perhaps that's where we could have Bob's "I want" song.

NigelChanning

Maybe that could be the opening of the musical, with that "Glory Days" song idea you mentioned.

I think “Glory Days”, which recaps the events that lead to outlawing supers (Bomb Voyage, the train, Incredi-boy), should be sung by these guys from the end of the original. Kinda like how the Muses sing “The Gospel Truth”. I don’t know who else would sing the song.
DA99BD3C-8A20-4D44-8841-96A15C7D365B.jpeg

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
What if we added a scene where Bob attends a support group for past superheroes? There, we can show how almost every other past super has the ability to move on accept for Bob. He can talk to Gazerbeam, which adds to the shock value when he’s found missing a few days after. That can also be where Mirage spies on Bob. Maybe add a detail like “It’s been two weeks since I’ve last engaged in illegal superhero activity”
I love that! And I think that is a scene that could take the place of the burning building scene from the movie and fill the same narrative purpose a lot better for the stage version!

What if we used that for the opening with Glory Days (Or Glory Days can be seperate and this is just the intro to the present day), Gazerbeam is there. He goes back a little later for his "I Want" song, Gazerbeam is mysteriously missing and we find out why later, but Frozone went with him this time to support Bob after he got fired (around the time of the fire scene in the movie), and Mirage sees him there since she was following Frozone.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think “Glory Days”, which recaps the events that lead to outlawing supers (Bomb Voyage, the train, Incredi-boy), should be sung by these guys from the end of the original. Kinda like how the Muses sing “The Gospel Truth”. I don’t know who else would sing the song.View attachment 478140
Weren't those supposed to be cameos from old comic book writers? Either way that is a strong idea

JokersWild

I think that it would be cool to have them as a sort of Greek chorus, but we'd need to have them present somehow beginning to end.

Maybe glory days could be sung by passing city citizens? Like just a general chorus rather than distinct characters?

goofyyukyuk

I think that it would be cool to have them as a sort of Greek chorus, but we'd need to have them present somehow beginning to end.

Maybe glory days could be sung by passing city citizens? Like just a general chorus rather than distinct characters?
I like that idea... like they're seeing newspaper headlines/remembering when supers were around and singing about it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom