Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeymiss

Yes the Springs have the T-Rex issue was out of Disney's control and the management and owners of T-Rex need to be held accountable if they were aware the worker was sick, and if the worker actually knew he was sick should be fired period.

Yes cases are up and when you see people walking around without masks you can see why the cases are up. They need to enforce the no mask rule kick people out of any establishment if they do not have one.

At Costco it's mandatory you have a mask if not one will be provides if you do not want to wear one you are asked to leave. It's not that hard, Publix, Walmart, malls, ect.... can do the same thing.

How do we know if cases are up due to mass protesting or even broad outbreak contact tracing that yields a bunch of asymptomatic people? That's happening in my small state once a week where most of the cases are coming from one place.. This is hardly a reason to derail SAFE opening plans. Bars need to recalibrate, sure, but many businesses have comprehensive safety plans. Disney being exceedingly cautious in my view.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1592590565740.png

Florida's death rate is like the optical illusion of stairs going down in a circle but never actually goes down.

1592590654142.png

Rider

How do we know if cases are up due to mass protesting or even broad outbreak contact tracing that yields a bunch of asymptomatic people? That's happening in my small state once a week where most of the cases are coming from one place.. This is hardly a reason to derail SAFE opening plans. Bars need to recalibrate, sure, but many businesses have comprehensive safety plans. Disney being exceedingly cautious in my view.
To your first question you can look up data for those states with major protests and see. For example: MINNESOTA cases continue their downward trend: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

I agree that Disney is doing the right stuff. I feel much safer at Disney Springs than at the restaurants down the block from me. If everyone behaved like Disney this wouldn't be an issue and we could be talking about better things.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Major League Baseball’s first known coronavirus outbreak has occurred at the Phillies’ spring-training facility in Clearwater, Fla. Five players and three staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, the Phillies said in a statement Friday, confirming an NBC Sports Philadelphia report, with the first confirmed case occurring June 16."

"The names of the infected people -- which extends to family members (adults and children), according to a source, who weren’t counted in the Phillies’ stated tally -- have not been released due to medical privacy law. It’s not believed that any of the people have required hospitalization, the source said.
Eight staff members have tested negative, according to the team, while 32 others (20 players, including minor leaguers, and 12 staff members) are still awaiting their test results."

All facilities in Clearwater have been closed indefinitely to all players, coaches and staff and will remain closed until medical authorities are confident that the virus is under control and our facilities are disinfected.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have temporarily closed their training facilities after several players and staffers test positive for COVID-19

oceanbreeze77

"Major League Baseball’s first known coronavirus outbreak has occurred at the Phillies’ spring-training facility in Clearwater, Fla. Five players and three staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, the Phillies said in a statement Friday, confirming an NBC Sports Philadelphia report, with the first confirmed case occurring June 16."

"The names of the infected people -- which extends to family members (adults and children), according to a source, who weren’t counted in the Phillies’ stated tally -- have not been released due to medical privacy law. It’s not believed that any of the people have required hospitalization, the source said.
Eight staff members have tested negative, according to the team, while 32 others (20 players, including minor leaguers, and 12 staff members) are still awaiting their test results."

All facilities in Clearwater have been closed indefinitely to all players, coaches and staff and will remain closed until medical authorities are confident that the virus is under control and our facilities are disinfected.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have temporarily closed their training facilities after several players and staffers test positive for COVID-19

I honestly don't see the NBA plan coming to fruition.

mickeymiss

To your first question you can look up data for those states with major protests and see. For example: MINNESOTA cases continue their downward trend: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

I agree that Disney is doing the right stuff. I feel much safer at Disney Springs than at the restaurants down the block from me. If everyone behaved like Disney this wouldn't be an issue and we could be talking about better things.

If daily mass protesting is verifiably not leading to spikes then Disney still has the green light to open. Outside/masks/6 feet apart/temp checks/transient environment. You can't get more cautious than what they are planning. Protests do not involve any distancing whatsoever. They also weren't all wearing masks. Some sadly were physically fighting each other and your data suggests that it still ended up being safe from a covid perspective. This looks like proof that Disney would be a million times safer than that.

The Mom

Premium Member
Palm Beach county is currently at 19% remaining capacity same as Orange is at 23%, those are pretty much regular numbers. AZ is not drastic either the are sitting around 16% for ICU, with the vast majority not being Covid,w ith the nmumbers actually decreasing since Wed. Nothing rapid going on.

also here is Houston Texas medical system ICU capacity from yesterday , still below normal but worth monitoring, not a rapid rise panic mode. It is the same story with California as well.

Which means that they might have to delay elective surgeries again - or further reduce the numbers.

ImperfectPixie

If daily mass protesting is verifiably not leading to spikes then Disney still has the green light to open. Outside/masks/6 feet apart/temp checks/transient environment. You can't get more cautious than what they are planning. Protests do not involve any distancing whatsoever. They also weren't all wearing masks. Some sadly were physically fighting each other and your data suggests that it still ended up being safe from a covid perspective. This looks like proof that Disney would be a million times safer than that.
That's assuming that anyone who gets sick gets tested. It also assumes no spread resulting in asymptomatic infections.

oceanbreeze77

We won't see the results from the protests for a few more weeks. What we are seeing now is still the results from mothers day and Memorial Day. The incubation period is 14days. It takes longer for people to get sick enough to get tested/be hospitalized. And longer for people to actually die.

Seanual757

Florida reported a new record of 3,822 new COVID-19 cases today:

Italy had 6,600 cases on its worst day on 21 March before cases started going down. That was almost 2 weeks after the start of their national lockdown.

Italy's population (60 million) is almost 3 times that of Florida (21 million), so Florida's cases right now are far worse than Italy on its worst day and we're opening things up and wearing masks has turned into a political issue.

If this continues I don't see how Disney World is opening up in 3 weeks.

Covid released hospitalizations in Central Florida are still very low,
Leaving it up to each individual business is never going to work. I think that something like this needs to be enforced at the state or national level.

This is why Orange County is making it mandatory but the local businesses need to step up and enforce masks only policy and stick to it.

Rider

We won't see the results from the protests for a few more weeks. What we are seeing now is still the results from mothers day and Memorial Day. The incubation period is 14days. It takes longer for people to get sick enough to get tested/be hospitalized. And longer for people to actually die.
The average is 5-6 days. Min 2, max 14. Memorial Day was 26 days ago. Mother's Day was 40 days ago.

The Mom

Premium Member
People are not voluntarily getting tests, they can't force them to. is not the same as having no policy to test as much as possible. Same with contact tracing.

After the report of a dozen cases (the bunch of friends who went bar hopping) voluntary testing reached capacity - for the first time in weeks. You're absolutely correct - people haven't been getting voluntary testing unless they believe they are at risk.

My husband and I are "high risk" due to age, but haven't had any testing. AFAIK we haven't been in close contact with anyone who has it, and are social distancing and wearing masks when we go into public places, such as the grocery store. Our chances - right now - of contracting Covid are very low. If that changes, we'll get tested.

mickeymiss

Where's our task force? Why can't we know what patterns they see in cases and transmission? If bars are the problem in Florida, work on that. Manufacturing, nursing homes, etc. We have been left in complete darkness about what they are observing about the virus. We should all be united in wanting to know what they've been up to these past few weeks. They know something. They interview those who become infected and can often trace things back. Let us know what you know so we can understand. Otherwise it feels like drive-by fear when there's usually much more going on that they could discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom