Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

Did the CMs follow them around and see this family not wearing masks walking through DS?

Because, the picture we've seen is them sitting at a table to eat. And you don't have to wear a mask if you're seated at a table eating.

The photo is about their grilling hot dogs over an open flame, not about not wearing a mask.

Last edited:

hopemax

The part about contact transmission through touching the same surfaces was all about washing our hands and surfaces. The CDC is saying that such transmission isn't as infectious. Which does not mean at all that it isn't infectious. It is. Just not as easily.
Which is why epidemiologists on Twitter are concerned about how this update will be interpreted. Primarily, when it comes to bathrooms. Most US public restrooms don't have toilet lids, and an area where we don't really have a firm grasp on transmission is from aerosolized fecal matter. There is a Chinese study that says fecal-oral is a transmission path, but common or uncommon is unknown.

The updated CDC rules are more about, don't worry about touching your groceries, takeout containers, mail or other surfaces someone infected might have touched at some point. ie. It's safe to shop, you won't get infected from "stuff."

But wash your hands.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I’m not claiming they aren’t effective.

I’m saying I don’t see their longterm mandatory usage in the “Vegas of the east” - Orlando, Florida, USA.

Masks are gonna hurt the business...bigtime. And even if that’s ok as they “feel things out” for a few months...financially I can’t see that being a plan that lasts.

Unless the virus kicks back up and forces more closures. I won’t discuss that. Disney, Comcast, Florida, Wall Street, the lobbyists on K street have no plan for that. There isn’t one.
I live in Georgia. Many restaurants have been open for a few weeks now and customers are not wearing masks, and guess what....the death count is declining each day. But of course, the news ONLY focusses on new cases, not death toll.

I recall how many people were bashing our Governor for opening things back up and many of those same people were predicting massive death rates. None of it happened. In fact, the opposite happened. And I'm typing this as I sit on the patio with my dog at a restaurant that's open for business as I enjoy a beer.
IMG_20200522_151355439_HDR.jpg

Please know this post was in no way aimed at you, (@Sirwalterraleigh ), Just adding to what you said in relation to what's happening where I live.

DisneyDebRob

When I reported that rumor last week, with the posted article, seems maybe some of it or all could be true. Mostly what some of us were guessing around here. Others not so much in saying it’s all false.https:///2020/05/disney-parks-no-guarantee-admission-ba1/

Last edited:

celluloid

[/QUOTE]
The masks aren't to protect the one wearing it.

How many times must that be said?

Forever. It is the same reason people are always strongly encouraged from medical professionals to get things like Flu Shots and other vaccinations, Polio, Measles, etc... It is never about just one person with those either.
And endless battle to remind human's natural tendencies to be selfish. To what degree is acceptable is always a personal choice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are also many many people on the unemployment+ plan, who have zero desire to go back to work. And who can blame them honestly?
I think the next “compromise” on that will be a reduction of the stipend down to even out injection with desire to work. Maybe $200 a week where it’s not beneficial for most not to work.
That + part of unemployment only goes to July 31. I huge number of people in Florida haven't been receiving unemployment payments since the system is so broken. I know a lot who are still cast members who cannot wait to get back to work just so they can pay their bills!
Well...Florida...

Get what you “pay” for.

But I mentioned this on another thread: extended unemployment is going to be a given. It’s about 3x worse already now than the Great Recession and most don’t remember federal UE was extended to 99 weeks before it was done.

It’s not a philosophical choice...the public without any money wrecks too much of the economic machine. Can’t risk collapse

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The masks aren't to protect the one wearing it.

How many times must that be said?
Yep
I live in Georgia. Many restaurants have been open for a few weeks now and customers are not wearing masks, and guess what....the death count is declining each day. But of course, the news ONLY focusses on new cases, not death toll.

I recall how many people were bashing our Governor for opening things back up and many of those same people were predicting massive death rates. None of it happened. In fact, the opposite happened. And I'm typing this as I sit on the patio with my dog at a restaurant that's open for business as I enjoy a beer.
View attachment 471883

Please know this post was in no way aimed at you, (@Sirwalterraleigh ), Just adding to what you said in relation to what's happening where I live.
I’m not letting that guy off the hook just yet.

He wasn’t “right”...he just took a gamble and hasn’t gotten bitten by it.

That doesn’t mean it was NOT A stupid move.

This is going to play out everyday for 6 months...people need to understand for the collective good that just doing something and not having it blow up doesn’t mean you’re an intelligent policy maker

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
FWIW. Fauci is now an “open now-er”
Fauci has been clear from day one he’s operating off a lifetimes work on viruses. His work with HIV is legendary.

He has never advocated staying closed as an economic policy...in fact he made many statements early on about the best way to get back to normal business or modify for new realities.

Slanted...is what I’m saying...and you’re too bright of a boy to not know that/sell it.

Disstevefan1

I think everyone has forgotten what the nationwide shutdown was for. It was to flatten the curve so that the hospitals would not be overburdened. The nationwide shutdown was NOT to eradicate COVID. During the shutdown we did great things like flatten the curve, manufactured tons of PPE and respirators and learned about COVID.

The curve is Flattened. We have enough PPE and respirators for WHEN the spike happens. This time we will be ready, we know what to do now! No subsequent shutdown needed! Who knows, we could have a vaccine before the spike and there will be no spike.

OPEN NOW

DisneyDoug85

I think everyone has forgotten what the nationwide shutdown was for. It was to flatten the curve so that the hospitals would not be overburdened. The nationwide shutdown was NOT to eradicate COVID. During the shutdown we did great things like flatten the curve, manufactured tons of PPE and respirators and learned about COVID.

The curve is Flattened. We have enough PPE and respirators for WHEN the spike happens. This time we will be ready, we know what to do now! No subsequent shutdown needed! Who knows, we could have a vaccine before the spike and there will be no spike.

OPEN NOW

Where do we have enough PPE, specifically legitimate N95 masks? I know for a fact major center city Philadelphia hospitals don't.

Calmdownnow

Who do you think kept Disney going during the last recession?
Well immediately after 9/11, it was the Brits and other Europeans who came because they had booked and paid whilst a lot of Americans stayed away. During the 2008 recession, I suspect WDW was kept afloat by the very many Americans who were not hit as hard by the economy flat lining -- the retired with saved monies, the professional classes (lawyers, doctors, dentists, etc) and those who could still access credit at favorable rate, plus elites from other countries, including South America. But in more recent years, even as costs have escalated, whilst real wages stagnated in relative terms, a lot of people have come through the doors at WDW. Whether those people are still able to afford the costs going forward over the next 2 years is the big question the Disney business modellers will be looking to address.

Miss Bella

That would be true if Disney saw universal or I-drive as a threat...which they don’t and really shouldn’t.

Disney not opening right after universal doesn’t hurt Disney...it actually hurts universal.

Who’s traveling in the summer to Orlando at high maintenance and expense if wdw isn’t available...not the same thing if the roles are reversed
I am. Im going just for Umiversal and I’m out west.

Lilofan

Well immediately after 9/11, it was the Brits and other Europeans who came because they had booked and paid whilst a lot of Americans stayed away. During the 2008 recession, I suspect WDW was kept afloat by the very many Americans who were not hit as hard by the economy flat lining -- the retired with saved monies, the professional classes (lawyers, doctors, dentists, etc) and those who could still access credit at favorable rate, plus elites from other countries, including South America. But in more recent years, even as costs have escalated, whilst real wages stagnated in relative terms, a lot of people have come through the doors at WDW. Whether those people are still able to afford the costs going forward over the next 2 years is the big question the Disney business modellers will be looking to address.
According to Harris Rosen of Rosen Hotels in Orlando, the national hotel industry unemployment rate currently is 51.5%. I would not count on this group to have much discretionary spending income to go support the tourism industry.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am. Im going just for Umiversal and I’m out west.
But you’re by far the exception to the rule

Wdw is 70% of the Orlando market...and the amount of travelers who go and don’t go to wdw is a tiny speck compared to those that go to wdw and don’t set a foot in universal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom