Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piebald

I agree. It's one huge no-win for everyone. For me, I'd like to see things start to reopen, because I know people who are close to losing or have lost businesses because of this. It's the most heart-wrenching thing to see someone who's put everything (including heart and emotion) into a business they built from the ground up, that will go under because of all this.
Yeah I am being cautious just because I realize it's the right thing to do, but I also recognize I work from home and was just advised we dont have to worry about going back the rest of the year (possibly ever) so I cant anticipate the world stops. I want things to reopen because I want things to go back to normal.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I agree. It's one huge no-win for everyone. For me, I'd like to see things start to reopen, because I know people who are close to losing or have lost businesses because of this. It's the most heart-wrenching thing to see someone who's put everything (including heart and emotion) into a business they built from the ground up, that will go under because of all this.
It’s very selfish to care about a business you know.

hopemax

Laughable. New York made a policy decision to kill off people in LTC facilities. Skews the numbers a bit, don’t you think?
Not really. It changed the speed in which those people might have been infected. It didn't change how their bodies reacted once exposed.

lazyboy97o

Interestingly, because of the health crisis, the ADA laws that would normally allow for certain exemptions are not applicable.
An accommodation does not have to be provided if it is unsafe and I’m guessing that is how the lawyers would argue the matter. You’re not being discriminated against because of your disability but because you pose a safety to risk to others. The reason why you are not wearing a mask is not why you are being turned away but just because you are not wearing one.

ImperfectPixie

An accommodation does not have to be provided if it is unsafe and I’m guessing that is how the lawyers would argue the matter. You’re not being discriminated against because of your disability but because you pose a safety to risk to others. The reason why you are not wearing a mask is not why you are being turned away but just because you are not wearing one.
Exactly.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I know I hear that one all the time to. Most of the locals work in hospitality making no money. Hell even the vloggers can't afford the Disney experience. Disney can't make it on them. They need to tourist who can afford to stay in the resorts and spend money. No offense to the locals but they can't cough up the dough to keep them afloat.
Considering the metro population of just Orlando is over 2 million, and you add in Tampa and the surrounding area, do you honestly think that literally millions of people don't make enough money to visit Disney? Who do you think kept Disney going during the last recession?

Chi84

Premium Member
The ADA requires only reasonable accommodation of a disability. My thought is that an accommodation that would allow possible spread of a contagious virus to others is not reasonable.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
CDC backtracks again...shocker. But hey, this is good news, so I'm sure the "we don't know enough about this virus" crowd will simply wait for more "new research" which will tell them to stay inside longer and they should now wear three masks at the same time and all will be right in their world again.

View attachment 471743

Sure. Makes sense. You’re right. This is science.

However, and here’s the kicker....

They didn’t just release info did they? Policies with far reaching implications where made around this info.

This has already been debunked in this thread to an OPEN NOW-er...

How about this from the CDC TODAY! So tell me again how we know many FACTS about how this virus spreads?

This is you, again, twisting data to support OPEN NOW!

Don't use a summary, go to the source...

Person-to-person spread
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
  • Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.
    • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
    • COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.
The virus spreads easily between people
How easily a virus spreads from person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious, like measles, while other viruses do not spread as easily. Another factor is whether the spread is sustained, which means it goes from person-to-person without stopping.
The virus that causes COVID-19 is spreading very easily and sustainably between people. Information from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic suggest that this virus is spreading more efficiently than influenza, but not as efficiently as measles, which is highly contagious.
The virus does not spread easily in other ways
COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads. It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads.
  • From touching surfaces or objects. It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.

Takeaways directly from the CDC:

1. COVID is more infectious than the flu. The "open now" movement keeps wanting to say that it's only as bad as the flu. But, if you're running to the CDC for your info, you have to take all their info as fact. COVID is more infectious than the flu.

2. COVID spreads easily. Period. Again, here's the CDC (the source you're using) making that very plain.

3. COVID spreads easily through respiratory droplets. Again, this is the CDC saying that. So... how do we reduce this easily infectious disease from being easily transmitted through respiratory droplets?
  • Social distancing.
  • Wear masks.
4. The part from the CDC about "not spread easily in other ways" is not the same thing as "doesn't really spread at all in other ways." The CDC admits the science is out on just how transmissible COVID is when landing on surfaces (via droplets or touch). However, keep in mind, that a lot of what has been happening with lock-downs and social distancing and masks isn't so much to avoid contact through things. It is this contact through things that the CDC is saying is likely not as infectious as just being around people not wearing masks. This is the "FACT" that is unsure. Not the facts of points 1-3 above which has been driving the shut-downs, distancing, and masks. It is clear the CDC (your source you're quoting) believes that the points 1-3 above are indeed facts [as much as the scientific method allows].

But hey, thanks for admitting that we should trust what the CDC says and recommends!

So, no... all the things we've been doing with regard to social distancing and mask made perfect sense in light of the fact that the CDC still maintains that aerosolized transmission when people are close to one another is very infectious. Lockdowns were still needed even if there was no contact transmission because aerosol transmission was so infectious.

The part about contact transmission through touching the same surfaces was all about washing our hands and surfaces. The CDC is saying that such transmission isn't as infectious. Which does not mean at all that it isn't infectious. It is. Just not as easily.

And this is because current science is good at detecting where the virus has landed based on protein sequences, but not that good on determining if those proteins are still viable to infect.

Not gonna get a million posts deleted. If you want to defend the CDC and our state and federal governments for their actions, be my guest.

They're not perfect. No organization it. But they're better than politicians or the general public playing armchair epidemiologists. So, yeah, I will defend them when warranted.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
There were a few cms on Reddit saying that disney let them stay and continue to not wear masks. Here’s another thread:

My point being is this isn’t going to last long

Did the CMs follow them around and see this family not wearing masks walking through DS?

Because, the picture we've seen is them sitting at a table to eat. And you don't have to wear a mask if you're seated at a table eating.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

I kinda thought that they wouldn't be able to open until the governor OKs it and that hasn't happened. The governer, if he follows the Task Force guidelines, would have to move Florida to Phase 2 for that to happen (if he accepts their recommended phases). Phase 2 is open slowly with minimal attendance.

Bob Harlem

I kinda thought that they wouldn't be able to open until the governor OKs it and that hasn't happened. The governer, if he follows the Task Force guidelines, would have to move Florida to Phase 2 for that to happen (if he accepts their recommended phases). Phase 2 is open slowly with minimal attendance.

DeSantis did approve it. Expect Phase 2 to happen that same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom