Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

Goofyernmost

Well now I am sad. Ignorance really is bliss.
True, but what never was cannot be considered as removed. All attractions start off as concept ideas and either engineering or accounting or both can weigh in and cancel any further discussion about that concept. It might have been thought of in someones mind and presented as an option, but would never be a lost attraction until it became a solid consideration and was scrapped at a later time.

Knowing it was thought of is a mixed blessing and it depends on our mind set whether or not it can be considered anything other then an idea that didn't hold its own. I think many times about the concept of going to the bank and finding out that some millionaire deposited a few of those millions in my account. Then I check my bank balance and see that it didn't happen. Disappointed sure, but it is very short lived because it never was to begin with. It was just a thought.

spresso81

I'm still mourning Beastly Kingdom 😢. That would have been the best Disney park section in the US in my opinion.
When I saw the original proposals for BK and then watched it fall through, I felt the same. However, after the Pandora replacement, the downfall of Dragons at IoA and likely budget cuts to the original plan - I think we ended up ahead as RedSoxs also concludes.

Still would not mind an updated Dragon ride somewhere in the park if they can tie it in somehow.

Goofyernmost

Depends how far it has to be before being cancelled to be considered “never was”.
To me that is the last step before actual construction begins. Until then it is still a concept. So when the last signature is on the last line of the last approval... then it is something that might/should have been but, wasn't. If it stops at that point, then it was almost a reality and was reachable into reality. (i.e being)

lazyboy97o

To me that is the last step before actual construction begins. Until then it is still a concept. So when the last signature is on the last line of the last approval... then it is something that might/should have been but, wasn't. If it stops at that point, then it was almost a reality and was reachable into reality. (i.e being)
That’s not how the design process works. Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documentation all come between Concept Design and Construction.

rreading

That’s wonderful but your 11yo probably isn’t most 11yos.

Maybe not. I suppose that Disney surveys and thus knows what folks think. I loved it as a child as well and still enjoy it. My daughter (15) enjoys it but doesn't request it.

Goofyernmost

That’s not how the design process works. Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documentation all come between Concept Design and Construction.
Where did I say it didn't. I just said that as far as I am concerned it doesn't come close to birth until the last stage is reached. Anything stopped before that is a concept in different stages of development. It didn't exist except on paper and had no final approval until reaching were the buck stops and the last possible obstacle has it in hand. Up until that point the details are not public so you can't lose what you never had.

lazyboy97o

Where did I say it didn't. I just said that as far as I am concerned it doesn't come close to birth until the last stage is reached. Anything stopped before that is a concept in different stages of development. It didn't exist except on paper and had no final approval until reaching were the buck stops and the last possible obstacle has it in hand. Up until that point the details are not public so you can't lose what you never had.
That’s not how the design process works.

doctornick

There are proposals for a TSR.

I forgot who, but someone on these pages indicated there were plans for a third attraction - sounds like a walk through of a "zoo" including encountering a large AA of the giant flying thing from the movie (the creature that is even larger than the banshees). Was that a real consideration?

I'm assuming no chance now given the financial situation, but I was wondering if it was actually true.

DreamfinderGuy

but the actual redevelopment of the Spine Project is not something they can afford to trash.
Sure it is. It's something that didn't need to be done in the first place. All it needed was a cosmetic overhaul, there was nothing wrong with the buildings themselves other than the dated aesthetics inside and out. Oh, and the massive empty/underutilized spaces that were once known as Innoventions. Those needed help too.

Goofyernmost

That’s not how the design process works.
I do not care how the design process works. I am never going to think that we lost out on something as if they didn't have a right to modify or cancel whatever the hell they wanted too. It is not any of our business. They run their parks and we either decide that we want to go and enjoy what is there or we stay home. We are not in charge nor should we be expecting anything other then what they are willing to give us. If it isn't what we want then our choice is to go someplace that does give us what we want and not make arbitrary decisions about what we should or should not have gotten. We don't make those decision and can vote only with our wallet. So let's just stop imagining that we coulda, shoulda had something that we were never entitled to from the onset.

lazyboy97o

I do not care how the design process works. I am never going to think that we lost out on something as if they didn't have a right to modify or cancel whatever the hell they wanted too. It is not any of our business. They run their parks and we either decide that we want to go and enjoy what is there or we stay home. We are not in charge nor should we be expecting anything other then what they are willing to give us. If it isn't what we want then our choice is to go someplace that does give us what we want and not make arbitrary decisions about what we should or should not have gotten. We don't make those decision and can vote only with our wallet. So let's just stop imagining that we coulda, shoulda had something that we were never entitled to from the onset.
If you don’t care then you wouldn’t be ranting about it, again.

Haymarket2008

Sure it is. It's something that didn't need to be done in the first place. All it needed was a cosmetic overhaul, there was nothing wrong with the buildings themselves other than the dated aesthetics inside and out. Oh, and the massive empty/underutilized spaces that were once known as Innoventions. Those needed help too.

However you want to categorize it, a spine project needs to move forward. Whether or not it is the one exactly detailed/announced in August of 2019 remains to be seen. But the overhaul of that area has to happen. Especially moving into the 50th anniversary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom