Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

Surferboy567

It could be scaled back to the point that it's fresh paint and freshly oiled gears, and that's it. Maybe by tying it still to the 'exciting transformation of EPCOT' they can save some face.
Could be, but I’m trying to remain hopeful. Honestly, they just need to rip the track apart, install some new cars, and fix the finale. Unfortunately, that is very expensive and easier said then done.

CastAStone

Voice of Aladdin’s Magic Carpet
Premium Member
Advertisement
Maybe Epcot isn’t as doomed as we all think. Spaceship Earth really needs this update at least in my opinion.
People twisted his words all sorts of ways but Chapek was incredibly clear on the earnings call:
  1. The $900MM in capital spending reductions represents the stoppage of work during the park closures
  2. Good (capital spending) ideas pre-COVID are still good ideas post-COVID.
My takeaway is that everything is on and nothing is off. Not permanently. And as we all know anything not complete is always subject to change with TWDC anyway.

DVCakaCarlF

People twisted his words all sorts of ways but Chapek was incredibly clear on the earnings call:
  1. The $900MM in capital spending reductions represents the stoppage of work during the park closures
  2. Good (capital spending) ideas pre-COVID are still good ideas post-COVID.
My takeaway is that everything is on and nothing is off. Not permanently. And as we all know anything not complete is always subject to change with TWDC anyway.
The $900M was just a cash flow manipulation to match expenses with revenues.

DoleWhipDrea

All valid points, but we also have seen a long history of Disney cancelling WDI projects after things like an economic downturn, hit to tourism, etc...all of which cannot compare in magnitude to what’s happening now, where most revenue streams have had to stop cold in their tracks for the company on the whole.

IMHO, given the company’s history, leadership’s focus on investments heavily featuring IP, and how this situation has affected the company’s bottom line, I can’t see a group of board members saying, “Sure, let’s fund the makeover of Spaceship Earth, a ride we won’t be interested in advertising to get new visitors to EPCOT!” when having to pick and choose between several projects where things are just going to have to get axed.

At this point I’m just hoping they’re willing to replace the track within the next 5 years.

Beacon Joe

1. I hope this rumor is true.
2. If not, I hope this silliness has delayed its closure for two months. That's all I need to ride it one last time.
3. All they really need to do is bring back Jeremy Irons, fix the burned boy, and turn the green chariot back on again and it will be perfect.

t3techcom18

As that one other site says all the time...

CONFIRMED: According to the Local 362 Union, the union responsible representing Attractions, answered a question in a Zoom meeting regarding SSE's rehab HAS been pushed back and WILL reopen with the rest of the park.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Here’s a screenshot of their screenshot View attachment 474126
Here's a screenshot of your screenshot of their screenshot:
1591067314132.png

Also, I find it interesting that The Site That Shall Not Be Named often derides these forums on Twitter as an old an antiquated form of communication, full of bitter people who spew hate toward them. Yet apparently they are reading these forums and, in this case, even use a post as a source of their news. How sad. Oh, and hi Mr. Corless!

Top Bottom