Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

rle4lunch

The animatronics move like a wax museum beginning to come alive, or like we’re watching Night at the Museum at 0.25x speed. It has its allure and I love the ride, but it definitely shows its age. The idea of the refurb was to bring the whole attraction closer to modern standards in terms of both technology and presentation. So that young guns would ride it and think “oh wow, what a great ride” instead of “oh wow, this old relic is still here, that’s cute.” Problem being that’s a tough task, and a lot of people around here weren’t confident they’d get it right. But the intention was good.

It's kinda like that Simpson's episode where they're riding thru the Eastern Airlines attraction. The only thing that doesn't need refurbed is the HVAC system. Always a nice break from the heat in there, and a bit of a snooze if you need it.

I really wanted this refurb. Not because I don't like the ride, but BECAUSE I used to LOVE this ride. Now it's a such a shadow of it's former glory. I take my kids on this and I'm kinda embarrassed, because it used to mean so much for me when I was 6-7-8-10 years old. Going on this in its heyday was amazing. For Disney to let it rot to death because of their 'milk it till it's deader than dead and/or irrelevant' business model makes the EPCOT fan in me die a little bit more, each time I ride it.

Haymarket2008

I think they can put off the actual pavilion/attraction overhauls in World Nature and World Celebration for a bit, but the actual redevelopment of the Spine Project is not something they can afford to trash. They knew this work had to be done, not just cosmetically. Epcot needs the attendance and income.

(Besides, World Discovery is right on track to be complete within a year: Opening Cosmic Rewind, PLAY!, Space 220 and landscaping.)

rreading

The animatronics move like a wax museum beginning to come alive, or like we’re watching Night at the Museum at 0.25x speed. It has its allure and I love the ride, but it definitely shows its age. The idea of the refurb was to bring the whole attraction closer to modern standards in terms of both technology and presentation. So that young guns would ride it and think “oh wow, what a great ride” instead of “oh wow, this old relic is still here, that’s cute.” Problem being that’s a tough task, and a lot of people around here weren’t confident they’d get it right. But the intention was good.

My 11yo still will complain if he only gets to ride it once in our Epcot visits.

FigmentsFangirl

So back to the topic at hand since we seem to have gotten off the topic so far, is this overhaul shelved, will Spaceship Earth reopen when the rest of the park opens ?

disney4life2008

So back to the topic at hand since we seem to have gotten off the topic so far, is this overhaul shelved, will Spaceship Earth reopen when the rest of the park opens ?

Epcot is a mess. Future world is an absolute embarrasnent. They would be a fool not to reopen. All the construction in the middle of the park they have to fix but buildings for refurbs not go happen

At first, Yes until the have a proper sanitation process in place. Disney is taking it slow to open the parks so they don't have a PR disaster.

Did you see that the CDC has updated its website to say the virus "does not spread easily" through surfaces or objects? I wonder if that will affect any of their decisions regarding ride sanitation or shop policies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom