The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Day 2 of back at the firm fun...
The first dozen (again, the other 11 employees return next Monday) of us back are gettin’ used to the “new normal”...masks, distancing, wiping things down, just not touching things if we don’t have to (i.e. I can send to the plotter without ever touching anything but my copy - copies - that it spits out, the main office door is stopped open all day, etc.).
Plenty of work to do and projects still piling up, and productivity is improving. Just a career where personal collaboration is essential to best productivity.
New tech is also being researched for obvious reasons.
If there’s a resurgence, and unfortunately, and sadly, I’m betting there will, we’ll be better prepared to drag all our stuff back home, yet again.
On another bright note, my dear DWifey started a new job at a title company today. Higher pay than her last gig at the engineering firm by a good bit, and she said they were very welcoming and she had a great first day. They are Covid practicing like we are at our firm.
Again, this **** ain’t over by a long shot, but, another pretty good day...!!! :)

Congrats to your DW on the new job!

21stamps

The Attic is in Clarkesville, about 10 miles from our house. Pretty tasty place.

oh neat! It was really good!
Glad you liked Tallulah Gorge. Nice little campground there and lots of hiking. Did you read about Wallenda in the interpretive center then see the remnants of the cable tower where he walked across the gorge?
Yes!! 1 one still standing (south rim). The other was on its side... What a crazy stunt!! I wouldn’t even want to watch that... but good for him!
I recommend Cimmi's Courtyard for breakfast. It is just up the road from the parking lot at Betty's. But, they used to only be open on weekends in the off season. If they are not open, Hofer's across the road if it has reopened. You might just have to get breakfast at Betty's, I don't know. If so, they have pretty good biscuits.
Thanks!

Cesar R M

Tallulah Gorge was INCREDIBLE!!!

thanks to @epcotisbest for the recommendation!! I have no idea how I’m going to choose my favorite photos. I took way too many today.

Stopped at a restaurant in a different town on the way back. Dined IN.
They took our temperatures before entering, plastic ware, paper plates, sanitizer on the table (we had brought our own anyway, but good to see), also, each table had a brown paper covering, all staff was wearing masks ( I only saw 2 staff members)

The food was DELICIOUS and the restaurant was ADORABLE, only annoying thing was that fries were a la carte in addition to a $13 hamburger, but, T said they were the best sweet potato fries that he’s ever had, I tried 1 ( meaning 4), and I agree. He said the burger was delicious too, qs was my food.
Oh, how I’ve missed eating inside a restaurant.
Here’s a few pics..

View attachment 470126View attachment 470127

Sanitizer at our table..
View attachment 470121

Mozzarella sticks and fried green tomatoes..
View attachment 470120View attachment 470119

My portobello burger,
View attachment 470124

T’s hamburger..
View attachment 470125

Loved the decor!

View attachment 470123

View attachment 470122
Unsurprisingly, T didn’t finish his massive hamburger. Lol
View attachment 470128
Had to double take, those fried tomatoes looked like chalupas XD

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Keep up the reports. (You realize you're our first "returning to the real office" guinea pig, right?) :p

I love how optimistic you are. :inlove:

A few days ago I mentioned my DD Fortune 100 company said nobody was returning to the tower until July. There have been many who are essential on the ground that have worked through all this without missing a beat, But sadly they have many in the heavy haulers division that are dead, many of them including the department chair. :cry: The Corporation is essential so they all plug on.

A week has gone bye since they were told the earliest most would return would be July to the Tower. Today they were told most not until after Labor Day, just a week. This is the corporation that saw the dawn coming weeks before our government acknowledge anything beyond we would fine and it would just go away, they sent all their non essential employees home to work. Their medical advisors saw what was coming before our leaders did. Then my DD leader said the quiet part outloud again today for her division, look to 2021 before we are not the satellites from home. The corporation has been spot on before any indication from our leaders. Scary.

Gabe1

Just a thought here, and I don't in anyway think that this is the case with your Mom, but sometimes we get to a point when we no longer have a purpose or anything important to identify with and what appears reckless really is expressing that we no longer care. Life is a lot of pain, loneliness and everything requires so much energy to do, that we just say to hell with it. What happens, happens! We are not suicidal, but we don't really care if we are alive or not. It probably isn't the wisest way to think, but it does enter the old brain box.

I know what you are trying to describe and I wish it was as simple as that. It is not that. She is in limbo-land. She wants to be the matriarch. She wants and does as she pleases no matter how wreckless it is. She is fit enough still to take care of herself but endangers herself because she will not be advised by anyone what she should or should not be doing. It is getting beyond dangerous. My Sis and her family nor me and mine will go near her or her home during this pandemic. We feel bad about that but unfortunately during this pandemic she is a walking time bomb. She blows off all caution and is thoroughly enjoying it bragging it is all a hoax. Maybe by Gods Grace she will come out the backside OK. I've made my peace with trying and failing.

Gabe1

We started with a small one last Christmas. It lasted a year. Brian replaced it with this one. It has a rounded back so you can put a 12” pizza in it, plus it has several functions.

View attachment 469997

It cooks faster than regular oven, and faster than our previous model.

What I like less: you can’t just pull out the tray and shake mid-way through. And it reminds me of a toaster

I believe it was around $80+ on Amazon.
If I want any chance of leftovers I set up racks over sheet pans in my oven. Oh wait you meant a normal family https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-...stant+pot+air+fryer&qid=1589307318&sr=8-5This should be big enough for your needs. Do not get a fryer lid for your instant pot! I've heard a few burn stories about themView attachment 469996

Thank you! :inlove:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Day 2 of back at the firm fun...
The first dozen (again, the other 11 employees return next Monday) of us back are gettin’ used to the “new normal”...masks, distancing, wiping things down, just not touching things if we don’t have to (i.e. I can send to the plotter without ever touching anything but my copy - copies - that it spits out, the main office door is stopped open all day, etc.).
Plenty of work to do and projects still piling up, and productivity is improving. Just a career where personal collaboration is essential to best productivity.
New tech is also being researched for obvious reasons.
If there’s a resurgence, and unfortunately, and sadly, I’m betting there will, we’ll be better prepared to drag all our stuff back home, yet again.
On another bright note, my dear DWifey started a new job at a title company today. Higher pay than her last gig at the engineering firm by a good bit, and she said they were very welcoming and she had a great first day. They are Covid practicing like we are at our firm.
Again, this **** ain’t over by a long shot, but, another pretty good day...!!! :)

Your company is following "new" standard protocols. And, I know you're freaking out about the lack of free FOOD in the company break room! ;)

I spoke with a friend yesterday who has been working remotely during all this, and his company will be phasing employees, back into the physical office. (Management first, then "waves" of employees -- but, only half at a time will be working in the company office. They're going to alternate half the staff to work at home for a week, while the other half works in the office. So that "musical chairs" approach will be in effect for quite some time to come.) This approach makes sense, so they don't have to spend a pile of money to redesign the office, to space out workstations, etc.

They're lucky that it's a business that can also work remotely. But he did mention, that it's really more efficient when everyone is in the office; so the workarounds are not ideal. (Note, he works in an essential medical supply company, so their staff can go back there earlier than many businesses here.)

I 100% agree with you that there will be a resurgence this fall. 😞

Meanwhile, congrats to DWifey!! :happy: Good for her!!! During this time of upheaval, it's exciting that she landed another job with more money! So glad for her, and you.

Goofyernmost

I know what you are trying to describe and I wish it was as simple as that. It is not that. She is in limbo-land. She wants to be the matriarch. She wants and does as she pleases no matter how wreckless it is. She is fit enough still to take care of herself but endangers herself because she will not be advised by anyone what she should or should not be doing. It is getting beyond dangerous. My Sis and her family nor me and mine will go near her or her home during this pandemic. We feel bad about that but unfortunately during this pandemic she is a walking time bomb. She blows off all caution and is thoroughly enjoying it bragging it is all a hoax. Maybe by Gods Grace she will come out the backside OK. I've made my peace with trying and failing.
Sounds familiar. There is an old saying that one gets what they deserve. There does seem to be a limited truth to that, as of late, but like everything else in life, the pendulum swings in both directions. The time will come for reconning, even on earth.

MySmallWorldof4

Me, too! It was ages ago -- late spring one year. It was corn snow conditions, and that's icy. Scary, too, and I was just on the beginner hill. :jawdrop: (Years after that, I only did cross country skiing out in farm areas.)
Skiing in NH was rough. Generally icy conditions. Went to Attitash a couple of times. One day the temps were close to zero degrees. My stepdad and I went out on the slopes while my mom and grandma stayed in the lodge. (They didn’t ski). The wind was brutal. We went out cause as my stepdad said,”I paid for the lift tickets”. After one run I was done. He took a second and was done after that. That area of NH is lovely though. We went to North Conway a lot when I was in my teens. I have great memories of it.

Goofyernmost

I really don't think what I described is all that simple. It is brought on by many deeper psychological factors and acting as a matriarch is one of them. Holding on to power or perceived power is a hallmark of human existence. The way that old folks have of trying to maintain that stronghold can manifest itself in many ways. One would be what you described and another might be guilt tripping those that you feel should be snapping to their every desire or another close relative of that is manipulation which combines the two. It doesn't really mean that we should bend to it, but it doesn't hurt to understand the why's and not just the whats.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

All I can say about 80's musicView attachment 470178
Sure, but everyone was just working hard on "staying alive" Oh, oh, oh oh, staying alive! How things change. I remember wearing ties with no knot so it just fell down straight like an ascot. And mens hair covering the ears. Now it's hair shooting from the ears. It seems like I remember Disco more from the 70's.

And then, of course, there was this in the 80's...
1589368479362.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom