Opening WDW with Social Distancing

Kobe!!

Has it been mentioned about rides with interactive queues being removed? - Space Mountain, Seven dawfs mine train, haunted mansion, etc...

thomas998

Your math would be correct if every visitor was a solo guest - which is not the case. Families can be as close as they wish. Couples can be as close as they wish. Even friends who traveled together can be as close as they wish.
But you could never enforce social distancing if you allowed friends or even family to be close because you would not know what was family and who wasn't or who was in group that came together. That's another one of the problems with the social distancing nonsense, if you make exceptions then there is no point to it at all.

Giss Neric

I will bet you $10,000 right now that if something is not in some way enforced upon them, people will not voluntarily socially distance at Walt Disney World. There is 0% chance of that happening. All you have to do is look around at how people are behaving right now as even the slightest loosening of restrictions is kicking in. As soon as anything is opened, people are treating it like everything is back to normal. That is exactly how they are going to act at WDW unless they are forced to do otherwise.
It's so sad but this is 100% true. I hate people sometimes.

havoc315

Masks are really not practical in this setting. Masks can carry the virus and per CDC guidelines, should be replaced (or washed) for each use. So, a family would need to bring at least a daily supply of masks for the entire vacation. And, that does not even get into the proper handling of masks to prevent further contamination. Kinda like how people are not utilizing masks and gloves properly in simple settings like grocery stores. And, that is adults. Young children would have an even more difficult time.

Where would they ever get the masks...

jaklgreen

I will bet you $10,000 right now that if something is not in some way enforced upon them, people will not voluntarily socially distance at Walt Disney World. There is 0% chance of that happening. All you have to do is look around at how people are behaving right now as even the slightest loosening of restrictions is kicking in. As soon as anything is opened, people are treating it like everything is back to normal. That is exactly how they are going to act at WDW unless they are forced to do otherwise.

Or fights breaking out because someone is "not staying 6 ft away from me".

Tom P.

ZoneOfTheEnder

Up to $1 million. It still helps out the cause. This is a huge $$ maker for Disney.
$19.95 for Disney printed washable face masks.
“Disney will also donate all profits from the sales in the U.S. of Disney’s cloth face masks to Medshare, up to $1 million, now through September 30, 2020.”
Polyester face masks. . . Washable . . . Hmmm not feeling good about this too many unknowns about effectiveness and if you don’t have a washing /drying machine then a family of 4 for a 10 day vacation might have to shell out $199.50 plus tax? for face masks.
If one cannot get disposable face masks then kaching more money for Disney.
We are gonna pass on this.
( 10,000 guests buying for a family of 4 for 10 days - Gross Disney sales
1.995 million dollars. All profits can imply after all expenses.It sounds good but. . . What happens after 9/30/20?)

Last edited:

NelleBelle

If we we’re going, it would be a hard pass for us as well. They don’t look like they would fit very well and the masks I make at home I can ensure conform snuggly to my face with a metal clip, are double line and have a filter! Not to mention I can make about 5 for the price of 1 of their masks (if not more)! And can find cuter Disney fabric 😉

havoc315

$19.95 for Disney printed washable face masks.
“Disney will also donate all profits from the sales in the U.S. of Disney’s cloth face masks to Medshare, up to $1 million, now through September 30, 2020.”
Polyester face masks. . . Washable . . . Hmmm not feeling good about this too many unknowns about effectiveness and if you don’t have a washing /drying machine then a family of 4 for a 10 day vacation might have to shell out $199.50 plus tax? for face masks.
If one cannot get disposable face masks then kaching more money for Disney.
We are gonna pass on this.
( 10,000 guests buying for a family of 4 for 10 days - Gross Disney sales
1.995 million dollars. All profits can imply after all expenses.It sounds good but. . . What happens after 9/30/20?)

You're overthinking it.

1 -- effectiveness. Virtually all masks are "effective" -- Not effective to prevent becoming infected, but effective at reducing the ability to transmit the disease. It's not about creating a 100% guarantee that you can't get the virus, or that nobody can get the virus. It's about greatly reducing the virus spread, making it far less common, reducing the level of infection. Even imperfect masks can do that.
2. A family of 4, 10 day vacation -- That's a minimum of a $4,000 vacation. Easily a $6,000 to $10,000 vacation if you stay onsite deluxe, include dining, travel, etc. But let's go with the minimum... about $4,000 for 10 nights of hotel, tickets, and dining. Might have to shell out $200 for masks! So... a total of 5% of the vacation cost. (And there are far cheaper face masks available.... you can get 40 face masks for about $10 total, or less).

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Just thinking out loud here.

But if WDW went to FP only (obviously they'd have to increase allotment). Meaning getting rid of standby - they could stagger the queues. On any given ride they would know what numbers to expect and get an idea of what they are dealing with. If at 2pm they had 100 people coming in - at 2:15pm they had another 100 - so on and so on....

They could then use the regular queues that would accommodate more guests and it would be easier to space.

I would absolutely hate a FP only environment. But I can't think of another way to A) limit queues on specific rides and B) ensure spacing guidelines are met.

Any ideas?

ZoneOfTheEnder

You're overthinking it.

1 -- effectiveness. Virtually all masks are "effective" -- Not effective to prevent becoming infected, but effective at reducing the ability to transmit the disease. It's not about creating a 100% guarantee that you can't get the virus, or that nobody can get the virus. It's about greatly reducing the virus spread, making it far less common, reducing the level of infection. Even imperfect masks can do that.
2. A family of 4, 10 day vacation -- That's a minimum of a $4,000 vacation. Easily a $6,000 to $10,000 vacation if you stay onsite deluxe, include dining, travel, etc. But let's go with the minimum... about $4,000 for 10 nights of hotel, tickets, and dining. Might have to shell out $200 for masks! So... a total of 5% of the vacation cost. (And there are far cheaper face masks available.... you can get 40 face masks for about $10 total, or less).
Hmmmm
Then do more research on your own and don't just rely on the media
Food for thought

havoc315

Hmmmm
Then do more research on your own and don't just rely on the media
Food for thought

The article you cited basically said the exact same thing that I said..

"The results from influenza and seasonal coronaviruses suggest that surgical masks can help keep people with COVID-19 from spreading the virus, Cowling said. SARS-CoV-2 probably behaves similarly to the viruses he and his team studied, he said, and the fact that people can spread the virus before they experience symptoms is an argument for recommending masks for everyone......

One thing everyone does agree on is that, whatever containment provided by non-fitted masks do provide, homemade fabric masks are the least effective. The recommendations that everyone wear masks are because "any kind of impediment is better than nothing," Chu said. But fabric masks are not expected to be as protective as surgical masks, she said. That's why public health officials are warning people to remain at least 6 feet apart from one another, even if they are wearing masks. In other words, homemade masks are likely to be just a small piece of the puzzle for controlling the COVID-19 pandemic."

ZoneOfTheEnder

The article you cited basically said the exact same thing that I said..

"The results from influenza and seasonal coronaviruses suggest that surgical masks can help keep people with COVID-19 from spreading the virus, Cowling said. SARS-CoV-2 probably behaves similarly to the viruses he and his team studied, he said, and the fact that people can spread the virus before they experience symptoms is an argument for recommending masks for everyone......

One thing everyone does agree on is that, whatever containment provided by non-fitted masks do provide, homemade fabric masks are the least effective. The recommendations that everyone wear masks are because "any kind of impediment is better than nothing," Chu said. But fabric masks are not expected to be as protective as surgical masks, she said. That's why public health officials are warning people to remain at least 6 feet apart from one another, even if they are wearing masks. In other words, homemade masks are likely to be just a small piece of the puzzle for controlling the COVID-19 pandemic."
You should read the study section on the effectiveness of the masks. It is fairly clear that once someone sneezes or coughs in a mask they become problematic.
With a Biologist (genetics) in the family the current CDC protocols go against basic immunology protocols for dealing with a virus. What complicates this is that one cause of the common cold is a coronavirus and during the course of a year people sometimes get two colds. So lots and lots of folks have coronavirus antibodies in their systems. So do they tests only find Covid19 and/or coronavirus and can they be differentiated?
Plus I believe unsubstantiated inflammatory news reporting is the real pandemic.

havoc315

You should read the study section on the effectiveness of the masks. It is fairly clear that once someone sneezes or coughs in a mask they become problematic.
With a Biologist (genetics) in the family the current CDC protocols go against basic immunology protocols for dealing with a virus. What complicates this is that one cause of the common cold is a coronavirus and during the course of a year people sometimes get two colds. So lots and lots of folks have coronavirus antibodies in their systems. So do they tests only find Covid19 and/or coronavirus and can they be differentiated?
Plus I believe unsubstantiated inflammatory news reporting is the real pandemic.

They acknowledge 1 of the 2 studies cited is crap... a study of 4 people, with entirely illogical results.

Yes, it's really clear that imperfect masks are... imperfect. It's also clear that when universally adopted, even imperfect masks do help.

I'm certainly not saying they are a panacea. They are not a replacement for social distancing. They are just 1 of many tools that should be employed. Nearly anything (not injecting disinfectant!) that reduces the risk of transmission should be utilized.

The only problem with the news is too many people don't read the details other than the headlines (which can be sensationalized or misleading), and too many people jump to conclusions about data they don't actually understand, or rely on demogogic non-journalistic non-scientific supposed news sources. (Someone like Sean Hannity or Laura Ingraham being the biggest examples of offenders). The main stream media has done a pretty good job, though you have to look beyond the headlines. The headlines often fail to tell the whole story.

Masks are a good example -- Some people are claiming the media and the scientists "changed their mind" on masks. But really, if you read the details beyond the headlines, it's been pretty consistent. Policy considerations have changed, but the underlying science and facts have remains consistent.
- Masks can help somewhat.
- Masks, especially non-N95 masks are imperfect
-Masks alone cannot prevent infection, they cannot replace social distancing.

Those facts have remained consistent throughout.... Policy considerations have changed:
- Would make recommendations cause panic mask purchasing, depriving the medical community of the masks at a time of shortage?
- Would masks give a false sense of security -- causing people to ignore social distancing recommendations, and thereby cause more harm than good.

Last edited:

zengoth

wow, the mask debate is going on furiously in at least 3 different threads...
(I reckon we already beat the dead horse that social distancing is near impossible in a themepark with more than 10% capacity.)
Anyone want to chime in on if there will be CMs at each restroom entrance to keep the number of folks using the facilities down to 3 or 4?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom