Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Well remember smoking is a risk but if he quit 6 years ago it isn't as bad as it could be. Most reports now are putting obesity as the highest risk factor so hopefully he isn't overweight, and hopefully the heart surgery fixed whatever was wrong in which case he probably isn't in the worst case group just yet.

You might ask the wife is it hurt like H--- when they gave her the test, most of the false negatives are being attributed to the tester not getting the swab deep inside the nasal cavity, and if it goes deep you feel it big time.
He's overweight...but I definitely wouldn't say he's obese. We aren't technically supposed to know that he has it yet (he knew hubby would be super ed that he hasn't been more careful to avoid their mom, so he asked her not to tell us), so I can't call and ask her. :rolleyes:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Depends on the timeframe you are looking at. While 2019 was higher than the previous 4 years it was still below 2015. And if you look at Monday Night Football back in before 2010 you would often have viewer over 15 million. So have it improved since the low point in 2017 when it averaged 10.7 million, yes... but it has still been underperforming compared to its heyday.
No it hasn’t.

Live sports are the only thing keeping TV going. They are the only programming worth anything.

I doubt they will end the year with a loss at all. Remember the parks are only a part of their business. Their networks are still making ad revenue their streaming service continues to do well and is probably getting even more customers now because of the lockdown. Maybe going into next year when lots of people start tightening their budgets they will see some drop in streaming subscriptions but I doubt they will end the year in the red.
Well, Parks and Resorts make up approx 40% of TWDC revenue. Add in the film division and you are looking at around 62% of revenue. Those two things are now generating negative income. It’s not impossible to see this as a year where TWDC takes an L.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Another person close to has has tested positive - my husband's brother. His wife tested negative, but I suspect it's a case of false-negative because she was sick almost 2 weeks ago. My BIL has had heart surgery, and quit smoking 6 years ago, so he is high risk. So far, no respiratory issues, but he's in A LOT of pain with all-over body aches, and has a fever. The scary part of this is that they both visited my MIL around the 28th-ish of March, and she and her boyfriend are VERY high risk, and my MIL is dropping stuff of and coming into contact with them even though we keep telling her not to. :(
Wishing you and your family the best and a speedy recovery!

MickeyLuv'r

Wearing masks at a theme park/amusement park just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. You won’t be able to wear them on the rides.

Depends which rides are open.

Mind, I've said a few times there are major problems with social distancing at WDW.

Buses and monorails are just one big problem, at least the way WDW normally operates them crammed full of people. And if the buses aren't full, it is going to take a very long time clear the parks. Plus all the space needed to hold people while they are waiting to board.

And that's just for a start.

Oh, and they'd have to provide a way to protect bus drivers.

Oh, and they'd have to find a way to load scooters while still protecting bus drivers. Or else they'd have to find another way to transport scooter users to/from the parks that is safe.

Polynesia

Japan has train pushers who push people in to the train. Wonder how they’re handling that
1586806298032.jpeg

_caleb

A few pages back one of the insiders here said they heard the tier 1 fast pass rides as well as all headliners in MK were going to a boarding group system so no standby lines. I don’t think it’s a permanent change but if it works well maybe it will be. The only other physical changes seem to be likely delays in construction projects.
I'll be interested to see how the wide implementation of virtual queues and boarding groups works.

I've also seen mention of the installation of temperature check camera arrays. Widespread installation of water bottle filling stations was mentioned. @WDW Pro mentioned something about painting arrows and distancing boxes on the ground to try to route and control traffic. Someone also mentioned plexiglass barriers/windows between retail/foodservice CMs and guests. I haven't seen much about the installation of sanitizing machines for attractions (like a car wash for ride vehicles between unload and load), but that wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT: I've also seen suggestions of MagicBands for all guests (for tap-activated tickets, purchases, and fast passes), food pre-orders via app, and total guest number caps.

I'm just very curious how far Disney may go with these sorts of things.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'll be interested to see how the wide implementation of virtual queues and boarding groups works.

I've also seen mention of the installation of temperature check camera arrays. Widespread installation of water bottle filling stations was mentioned. @WDW Pro mentioned something about painting arrows and distancing boxes on the ground to try to route and control traffic. Someone also mentioned plexiglass barriers/windows between retail/foodservice CMs and guests. I haven't seen much about the installation of sanitizing machines for attractions (like a car wash for ride vehicles between unload and load), but that wouldn't surprise me.

I'm all for whatever they deem necessary. All I know is, I'm not going to head down until the canaries give the ok.

thomas998

No it hasn’t.

Live sports are the only thing keeping TV going. They are the only programming worth anything.
You can't let your love of sports cloud reality. In 2019 the viewers were 12.9 million in 2006 they were just over 13.5 million. That was just a random year I'll pulled up, I'm pretty sure if I pulled up other years in the early 2000's they would be higher than they are today. Football is simply falling in popularity.
Fact is football's popularity has been in decline for years. It may still be the most popular overall but its being slowly beaten down and probably won't be the most popular in the future.

thomas998

I really want to know who the temperature check cameras are going to work when people are going to be out in the hot Florida sun just about the time they get scanned. I can see those camera working when you have people passing them in a climate controlled area but they don't have any real climate controlled areas in the parks.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You can't let your love of sports cloud reality. In 2019 the viewers were 12.9 million in 2006 they were just over 13.5 million. That was just a random year I'll pulled up, I'm pretty sure if I pulled up other years in the early 2000's they would be higher than they are today. Football is simply falling in popularity.
Fact is football's popularity has been in decline for years. It may still be the most popular overall but its being slowly beaten down and probably won't be the most popular in the future.
This is way off topic, but I'll just say this, your numbers are WAY off. NFL averaged 16.5m viewers per broadcast in 2019.

Also....

"Last year, the league averaged 15.8 million viewers and league games finished with 46 of the top 50 telecasts during the season. This season, NFL games finished with 47 of the top 50 telecasts."

So even in down years, they dominate the Television market.

_caleb

I really want to know who the temperature check cameras are going to work when people are going to be out in the hot Florida sun just about the time they get scanned. I can see those camera working when you have people passing them in a climate controlled area but they don't have any real climate controlled areas in the parks.
There's already a thread devoted to the topic of temp checks, but in general, these camera arrays are very accurate and take into account fluctuations due to environmental temperatures. They can measure many people at a time in real time. They're used widely in airports and public spaces around the world, particularly in East and Southeast Asia. There is no automatically-set temp threshold, people who register temps out of normal may be subject to additional screening.

As we know, people can be contagious even when asymptomatic, so temp checks would only be part of a system of measures to mitigate risk.

Last edited:

thomas998

This is way off topic, but I'll just say this, your numbers are WAY off. NFL averaged 16.5m viewers per broadcast in 2019.

Also....

"Last year, the league averaged 15.8 million viewers and league games finished with 46 of the top 50 telecasts during the season. This season, NFL games finished with 47 of the top 50 telecasts."

So even in down years, they dominate the Television market.
give you the last 5 years of Monday Night Football. I think part of the problem is I have been talking about the viewers for Monday Night Football which is what the whole conversation on viewership was based on in the earlier post about ESPN and their Monday Night Programming... Now you've throwing in all NFL games.

If you want to look at all NFL games then here is the averages for viewers the top 10 broadcast shows in 2006 during the regular football season.
Program Viewers
1. FOX Sunday National Game 21.8 million
2. Desperate Housewives 20.7 million
3. Dancing With The Stars 20.5 million
4. CBS Sunday National Game 19.5 million
5. Dancing With The Stars Results 19.0 million
6. CSI 18.8 million
7. NBC Sunday Night Football 17.0 million*
8. Grey’s Anatomy 16.9 million
9. CSI: Miami 16.1 million
10. Deal Or No Deal 16.0 million

You'll notice that back then you have much higher viewership than you do today with your 15.8 million viewers. Those are just the facts like it or not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Medical grade IR thermometers take into account ambient temperature.

Also, humans aren't cold blooded. We regulate our temperature to the same small range whether it's cold or hot. If we didn't, we'd die.

thomas998

What? Lol
My point was when you are walking up to the park entrances there is no climate controlled area that you are in. Most of the time you are out in the sunshine prior to entering the parks. Shine some sun on you arm and it warms up, that was my point. I'm well aware that once you get inside the park you can find some climate controlled areas, in my mind I have a pretty good route to get from the front of the park to other areas with the maximum amount of AC time... but checking someone temp inside the general store isn't going to be of much value since they already were elbow to elbow with people on the monorail or ferry boat.

peter11435

My point was when you are walking up to the park entrances there is no climate controlled area that you are in. Most of the time you are out in the sunshine prior to entering the parks. Shine some sun on you arm and it warms up, that was my point. I'm well aware that once you get inside the park you can find some climate controlled areas, in my mind I have a pretty good route to get from the front of the park to other areas with the maximum amount of AC time... but checking someone temp inside the general store isn't going to be of much value since they already were elbow to elbow with people on the monorail or ferry boat.
Do you understand how body temperature works though?

DCBaker

Premium Member
This is the county Tampa is in - they will also be voting on mandatory mask wearing on Thursday.

"Hillsborough County leaders have approved a curfew for residents amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The curfew, which goes from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., was announced during Monday afternoon's emergency policy group meeting on a 5-3 vote. The curfew order goes into effect starting Monday night"

"The announcement of the curfews come as the entire state of Florida is under a "safer-at-home" order. County leaders say the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office received more than 200 calls related to people not complying with the state's "safer-at-home" order since it took effect."

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
give you the last 5 years of Monday Night Football. I think part of the problem is I have been talking about the viewers for Monday Night Football which is what the whole conversation on viewership was based on in the earlier post about ESPN and their Monday Night Programming... Now you've throwing in all NFL games.

If you want to look at all NFL games then here is the averages for viewers the top 10 broadcast shows in 2006 during the regular football season.
Program Viewers
1. FOX Sunday National Game 21.8 million
2. Desperate Housewives 20.7 million
3. Dancing With The Stars 20.5 million
4. CBS Sunday National Game 19.5 million
5. Dancing With The Stars Results 19.0 million
6. CSI 18.8 million
7. NBC Sunday Night Football 17.0 million*
8. Grey’s Anatomy 16.9 million
9. CSI: Miami 16.1 million
10. Deal Or No Deal 16.0 million

You'll notice that back then you have much higher viewership than you do today with your 15.8 million viewers. Those are just the facts like it or not.
Yeah. No Scott....

“Given the ongoing contraction of TV ratings, any growth is noteworthy. As it happens, the NFL’s gains coincide with a 7 percent seasonal decline in the overall usage of TV and a 9 percent year-to-year drop in overall primetime deliveries.

The gulf between the reach of the NFL and even the most popular scripted series has grown only wider; while CBS’s “NCIS” remains the most-watched entertainment program with an average draw of 11.4 million live-same-day viewers—a figure that more than doubles the overall primetime average of 5.9 million viewers per night—that pales in comparison with the numbers football puts up each week. The league’s top TV property, the national Sunday afternoon window shared by Fox and CBS, averaged a staggering 24.3 million viewers in 2019, up 8 percent versus last season’s 22.6 million, while NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” grew 4 percent to just under 20 million viewers.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom