My Love of the Parks is Dwindling. Not sure what to do.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
For most of my life, Disney has been the thing that keeps me going. I was bullied for it when I was younger, which was hard, but I was committed to the wonderful worlds Walt and his successors created.

But it’s become increasingly harder in the past few years. I’ve learned more about the company’s past and what used to be. I’ve noticed a further distancing from Walt’s ideals. The cynicism in the community has also gotten more intense. I always wanted to work for the company I loved the most, but this made me even more committed to do so than before.

I was supposed to work in Florida this summer. It would have been my foot in the door to a potential dream come true. I’m sure it would’ve been the same for many others as well. Perhaps it’s selfish of me to be upset or foolish to think this could’ve led to greater things, but it seems like this may have been my only chance for a lifelong goal of mine. I understand why things were cancelled, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

I don’t know if I should be sharing this or not, but I just feel like I need to talk about it. I still love Disney. I don’t think that will ever change. It’s such a huge part of me. But it’s becoming increasingly painful to think about it and what could’ve been. Every time I go to Disney, I feel so much pain leaving. It feels like it’s the only thing I have.

(Note: Moderators, if this isn’t the right board, feel free to switch it. Just please don’t delete it.)

NelleBelle

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way...What type of job where you trying to get? I’ve always wanted to work for Disney in some form but I don’t think occupational therapy fits 😉I’ve made peace with that and decided that when I’m older and DH has retired, maybe we could work seasonally. If this is really something you want, hang onto that dream. 😊

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
I’m sorry you’re feeling this way...What type of job where you trying to get? I’ve always wanted to work for Disney in some form but I don’t think occupational therapy fits 😉I’ve made peace with that and decided that when I’m older and DH has retired, maybe we could work seasonally. If this is really something you want, hang onto that dream. 😊
I’m in school for Engineering. The (unrealistic) dream was Imagineering or something in Park management. I see how much these parks mean to everyone else, and I’ve learned so much from the older fans about some of the stuff that I never got to experience. I just want to make a difference to these people, however small it may be.

Don't accept that your dream of working at WDW is over just because of the closure. There will be more opportunities for you later - hang in there.
Thanks. I needed to hear this. I suppose I shouldn’t throw in the towel if I’ve gotten this far already. It’s very disheartening, but it’s a disheartening time for everyone in the world right now. We’ll get through it.

lazyboy97o

I’m in school for Engineering. The (unrealistic) dream was Imagineering or something in Park management. I see how much these parks mean to everyone else, and I’ve learned so much from the older fans about some of the stuff that I never got to experience. I just want to make a difference to these people, however small it may be.
Then look beyond Walt Disney Imagineering. There are other companies that do the sort of work you are thinking about (engineering is a very wide set of disciplines), including for Disney along with everyone else. Just because you don’t have a Mouse branded name tag doesn’t mean you are not doing that sort of work and may well have better opportunities outside of a giant bureaucracy.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think all of us - especially those with a few years under our belt - have experienced the loss of a dream - be it a failed romance, marriage, etc or that "dream" job we didn't get.

Yet those of us who have been there also know that the last thing we wanted to hear was "maybe it was for the best." :rolleyes:

Right now it hurts. Just keep going day by day - looking for any little thing that puts a smile on your face, or makes you feel that maybe there are still lots of good things in life. Apparently, the moon is unusually pretty tonight - if possible, step outside, and just take a look while taking a deep breath. Try to appreciate the things in life that haven't changed when everything else seems to be crashing down around you.

Pepper's Ghost

Since you're speaking of "older fans", I'm going to take it that you're relatively young. With that said why would you give up on your dream now? You have many years to make this dream come true. Actually, you may be better off getting a base of experience elsewhere, and then parlay that into a strong position with Disney later. I greatly admire your desire and drive to make a difference in Disney. It's people like you who make great things great.

One more thought if I may... please be careful of building up the magic and wonder of working for Disney in your mind too much. I'm not saying it wouldn't be magical because I've never worked for them, so I really don't know. And it's wonderful to have a passion for something as much as you do. With that said when you strive for something, anything that is just out of reach for so long, sometimes your imagination makes that end goal far greater than it ever could be in reality. When you finally achieve it, it may not be everything you hoped for which would be a tremendous letdown. Just food for thought. Btw, sometimes when you finally achieve what you've been striving for, it's every bit as sweet as you thought and more. I'm just suggesting that you be careful with how much you build it up because from your message it feels like you're putting all your eggs in one basket.

KBLovedDisney

I think all of us - especially those with a few years under our belt - have experienced the loss of a dream - be it a failed romance, marriage, etc or that "dream" job we didn't get.

Yet those of us who have been there also know that the last thing we wanted to hear was "maybe it was for the best." :rolleyes:

Right now it hurts. Just keep going day by day - looking for any little thing that puts a smile on your face, or makes you feel that maybe there are still lots of good things in life. Apparently, the moon is unusually pretty tonight - if possible, step outside, and just take a look while taking a deep breath. Try to appreciate the things in life that haven't changed when everything else seems to be crashing down around you.
^^ That and things will be ok.

Rosanne

I live in Florida & I'm a senior. I tried to volunteer to work one day of the week at any of the 4 parks doing anything - for FREE. I told them I could not work evenings (too dark) or summer when its too hot for me. Its an hour drive for me from home to parks and I wouldnt have minded once a week. They told me they used to hire retired people that worked seasonal and their own hours, but no more. The older workers there had been grandfathered in. That now I had to be employed by them & salaried because of insurance and security. Imagine - offering to work for free & being turned down. Oh, well. Its a different world now - and even more since the virus.

lazyboy97o

I live in Florida & I'm a senior. I tried to volunteer to work one day of the week at any of the 4 parks doing anything - for FREE. I told them I could not work evenings (too dark) or summer when its too hot for me. Its an hour drive for me from home to parks and I wouldnt have minded once a week. They told me they used to hire retired people that worked seasonal and their own hours, but no more. The older workers there had been grandfathered in. That now I had to be employed by them & salaried because of insurance and security. Imagine - offering to work for free & being turned down. Oh, well. Its a different world now - and even more since the virus.
What you offered is illegal so of course you were turned down.

Lilofan

WDW has Run Disney marathon race weekends several times a year. They are always looking for volunteers. No pay but you get a T-shirt, free passes to the parks, and all the gatorade and energy bars you can eat. I believe the volunteers report to work early around 3-4am. It's a satisfying volunteer event but you need to be in somewhat good physical shape.

Disneyhead'71

For most of my life, Disney has been the thing that keeps me going. I was bullied for it when I was younger, which was hard, but I was committed to the wonderful worlds Walt and his successors created.

But it’s become increasingly harder in the past few years. I’ve learned more about the company’s past and what used to be. I’ve noticed a further distancing from Walt’s ideals. The cynicism in the community has also gotten more intense. I always wanted to work for the company I loved the most, but this made me even more committed to do so than before.

I was supposed to work in Florida this summer. It would have been my foot in the door to a potential dream come true. I’m sure it would’ve been the same for many others as well. Perhaps it’s selfish of me to be upset or foolish to think this could’ve led to greater things, but it seems like this may have been my only chance for a lifelong goal of mine. I understand why things were cancelled, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

I don’t know if I should be sharing this or not, but I just feel like I need to talk about it. I still love Disney. I don’t think that will ever change. It’s such a huge part of me. But it’s becoming increasingly painful to think about it and what could’ve been. Every time I go to Disney, I feel so much pain leaving. It feels like it’s the only thing I have.

(Note: Moderators, if this isn’t the right board, feel free to switch it. Just please don’t delete it.)
"When one door closes...open it back up. It's a door. That's how they work"- Meme I Saw This Week

We have hit the pause button worldwide, but we will hit the play button again. And when we do, just keep chasing your dream.

It sounds like solitary confinement has allowed your mind to chase negative thoughts down the rabbit hole. Light an aroma therapy calming candle, put on some relaxing new agey spa music, get in a warm tub, and drink a bottle of chardonnay. This too shall pass.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I don't know why that is a bad thing to hear. Almost every disappointment I have ever had was followed by something much better. I can't think of one time when it didn't happen that way.

KeithVH

To the OP:

NEVER GIVE UP. The current situation has little applicability to your future goals. Go online and watch the Randy Pausch "Last Lecture" video. I don't mean to focus on his small stint with WDI but his overall message about dreams and goals. And just one thing - I would also say don't get too focused on Engineering. When I see that I think jig design, mechanics of materials, kinematics, etc. It is absolutely GREAT knowledge but I've yet to see an advertised position under TDO where those are the major daily skills and abilities required. My assumption is most of that kind of work is handled by 3rd party vendors, especially construction contractors. Then again, those who can discuss such concepts with the construction people they hire are good as gold. Just don't neglect some aspect of artistic expression as part of your background. For WDI, having multiple skillsets (hard knowledge AND creativity) are key items.

The Empress Lilly

Then look beyond Walt Disney Imagineering. There are other companies that do the sort of work you are thinking about (engineering is a very wide set of disciplines), including for Disney along with everyone else. Just because you don’t have a Mouse branded name tag doesn’t mean you are not doing that sort of work and may well have better opportunities outside of a giant bureaucracy.
Joe Rohde gave this exact same advice too when one of his Instagram followers asked how to get into Disney.

Don't focus on working for one company, for WDI. Focus on what you excel in, develop that, and then get hired by WDI, maybe, provided you're still interested in them in return and haven't discovered there are a million better opportunities for creative talent out there.

To add Tony Baxter's advice too: there really aren't all that many imagineers that get to design parks and rides.

Most people who work in movies don't really get to write and direct Hollywood blockbusters either. There are only so many Spielbergs and Tarantinos, only so many Rohdes and Baxters. In movies as well as in theme park design, 99.9% do sound, or lighting, or computer programming. And don't have long contracts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom