My Love of the Parks is Dwindling. Not sure what to do.

UNCgolf

There's nothing wrong with losing your love of the parks. I loved Disney World and Disney movies as a kid, but I stopped being interested in Disney films etc. in the mid-90s. I went from watching Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid, and the Lion King (among other older movies) dozens of times each to not even seeing the newly released films once (Mulan, Hercules, Hunchback, Tarzan, etc.). I actually still haven't seen a significant number of Disney's films from the past 25 or so years, although I have seen some.

I enjoyed Disney World when I went one more time around 1999, but I wasn't dying to go back (although I'm sure the fact that EPCOT was my favorite park and by 1999 EPCOT had been butchered didn't help). It was another decade or so before I returned, and on that trip I again had fun, but didn't really have any special desire to return. It wasn't something I ever thought about.

It really wasn't until a couple of years ago when I took my GF to WDW (she'd been once as a kid, but only for two days and just to Hollywood Studios/Magic Kingdom) that I fell in love with the parks again. We had such a great time that we went back this year, and may go again next year depending on how things look.

Just because you may lose some or all of your interest in Disney right now doesn't mean it'll be gone forever.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
@Brer Oswald ,
I sympathize with your pain about not being able to realize one of your dreams, for now. Life is full of surprises, and this roadblock could also be an opportunity for you to discover new passions and interests.

I believe many of us will come out stronger from this crisis. Don't let this pause in your plans, deter you from pursuing your dreams. Hang in there, be patient. Better days are ahead.

JIMINYCR

Take a deep breath, refocus and think positive. These times are hard to accept for all of us. Everyones hurting from how its affecting our daily norm. Disneys going to reopen and the opportunity you were looking for will be there again. This shutdown is an aberration. Dont think of it as a dream ender, its just a pause in your plans. You say you love the parks and you want to be working for Disney... it will happen if you wait this out and remain committed to your dream.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I completely understand your frustration. You don’t need to apologize to anyone for that and feel free to express.

BUT...I advise every college programmer that the “program” actually makes it harder in most cases to parlay into something permanent. It’s a trap for many.

There’s little room in meaningful ranks for the tens of thousands each year who go through that and then boomerang back. Trust me. I know dozens of people who tried with little success.

It sucks...I’m not telling you to get over it at all. That’s your right. I just advise that is is not the end of the world. Good luck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think all of us - especially those with a few years under our belt - have experienced the loss of a dream - be it a failed romance, marriage, etc or that "dream" job we didn't get.

Yet those of us who have been there also know that the last thing we wanted to hear was "maybe it was for the best." :rolleyes:

Right now it hurts. Just keep going day by day - looking for any little thing that puts a smile on your face, or makes you feel that maybe there are still lots of good things in life. Apparently, the moon is unusually pretty tonight - if possible, step outside, and just take a look while taking a deep breath. Try to appreciate the things in life that haven't changed when everything else seems to be crashing down around you.
I don't know why that is a bad thing to hear. Almost every disappointment I have ever had was followed by something much better. I can't think of one time when it didn't happen that way.

A wise man once said: “I believe that you need a good hard failure early in life”

It was a cartoonist who lost his prized lucky rabbit in a bad business deal.

This posters experience is NOT a failure...but it can be used to their advantage like one.

Shouldigo12

For most of my life, Disney has been the thing that keeps me going. I was bullied for it when I was younger, which was hard, but I was committed to the wonderful worlds Walt and his successors created.

But it’s become increasingly harder in the past few years. I’ve learned more about the company’s past and what used to be. I’ve noticed a further distancing from Walt’s ideals. The cynicism in the community has also gotten more intense. I always wanted to work for the company I loved the most, but this made me even more committed to do so than before.

I was supposed to work in Florida this summer. It would have been my foot in the door to a potential dream come true. I’m sure it would’ve been the same for many others as well. Perhaps it’s selfish of me to be upset or foolish to think this could’ve led to greater things, but it seems like this may have been my only chance for a lifelong goal of mine. I understand why things were cancelled, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

I don’t know if I should be sharing this or not, but I just feel like I need to talk about it. I still love Disney. I don’t think that will ever change. It’s such a huge part of me. But it’s becoming increasingly painful to think about it and what could’ve been. Every time I go to Disney, I feel so much pain leaving. It feels like it’s the only thing I have.

(Note: Moderators, if this isn’t the right board, feel free to switch it. Just please don’t delete it.)
I don't think anyone should be making themselves feel guilty over feeling sadness and disappointed due to the virus mucking up their plans. Everyone has a right to be upset over those things. But as others have said, please don't get into the mindset that this is it for you. There will be more opportunities for you. Even if those opportunities aren't at Disney, there will be some at other companies that match your ideas and vision.

Sorry if this has already been asked, bit why do you feel Disney is all you have?

Goofyernmost

I went to Casting years ago to apply for a job as a bus driver. I was told then that they couldn't even look at an application if it didn't have a local mailing address (not a P.O. Box). They just expressed that even though they would not make any promises, there was a pretty good chance, based on my experience to be hired. But that meant since I didn't know anyone in Central Florida I would have to rent someplace and/or physically move before I could get a vaguely promised job. I guess to many people applied and when hired had to back out because they either decided it was to risky to move or that they just couldn't leave home. I lived in Vermont at the time and it would have been a big move for me, but I would have done it. I would have done it if I had been guaranteed a job when I got there. Very disappointing.

I ended up moving to North Carolina just a couple years after that and gave up on my desire to work at WDW. I did get to visit more often because I lived closer. I now know that disappointment worked out well. I am now down here with my children and grandchildren, loving the better weather, a day trip to Orlando by car and so much happier then I know I would have been if my original quest had been successful.

Hcalvert

I have spent the last week worrying that I was going to be reduced in force at the end of the school year because my district is doubtful that they are going to get their operating levy. Yesterday, I found out that most likely that will not happen, but I will not know for sure until next Friday. I was reduced in force by this same district in 2016. When that happened, I really thought my teaching career was over. No district (other than charter schools) is looking to hire a teacher that has taught 10+ years, has international teaching experience, and has a MA when they can hire a new teacher for peanuts. I would get the interviews, but ultimately most hired within or a newer teacher. I didn't give up though. I ended up swallowing my pride and applying for a substitute position at the same district and covered 4 different teachers' maternity leaves that year, which resulted in me teaching AP English, English 9 & 10, 7th grade Math, and 7th & 8th grade Science all in one school year (over 400 students). The following school year I ended up being recalled and was awarded my tenure too.

So, roll with the punches and get back up when you are pushed or knocked down. Open a door or make a new opening. Take the road less traveled and needing wear.... or whatever other motivational quote/saying that will propel you to greatness. It will happen someday, don't worry. Here is a picture of positive feedback that I received from one of my students yesterday. It doesn't seem much, but it puts a smile on my face as this student has been somewhat challenging to engage in a lesson and even more so now we are teaching remotely.

1586451108795.png

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
Reading all of these posts, I start to feel that I don’t have it so bad after all. Maybe I am overreacting. Maybe not.

Regardless, I don’t regret making the original post. This was the inspiration I needed. Part of me feared I’d be dismissed, but I was once again reminded of why Disney became so important to me in the first place. It’s the wonderful community that keeps me going.

I hope I’m not the only one to get something out of the stories you’ve shared. I struggle to think clearly through hardships, but I suppose that will get easier with time. Like many of you have said, we need to experience failure and disappointment to get stronger. It’s difficult in the moment, as it is right now, but I need to see where it goes.

Thank you.

Hockey89

I think all of us - especially those with a few years under our belt - have experienced the loss of a dream - be it a failed romance, marriage, etc or that "dream" job we didn't get.

Yet those of us who have been there also know that the last thing we wanted to hear was "maybe it was for the best." :rolleyes:

Right now it hurts. Just keep going day by day - looking for any little thing that puts a smile on your face, or makes you feel that maybe there are still lots of good things in life. Apparently, the moon is unusually pretty tonight - if possible, step outside, and just take a look while taking a deep breath. Try to appreciate the things in life that haven't changed when everything else seems to be crashing down around you.
Nice thoughts. So true and apart of life.

The Empress Lilly

For most of my life, Disney has been the thing that keeps me going. I was bullied for it when I was younger, which was hard, but I was committed to the wonderful worlds Walt and his successors created.

But it’s become increasingly harder in the past few years. I’ve learned more about the company’s past and what used to be. I’ve noticed a further distancing from Walt’s ideals. The cynicism in the community has also gotten more intense. I always wanted to work for the company I loved the most, but this made me even more committed to do so than before.

I was supposed to work in Florida this summer. It would have been my foot in the door to a potential dream come true. I’m sure it would’ve been the same for many others as well. Perhaps it’s selfish of me to be upset or foolish to think this could’ve led to greater things, but it seems like this may have been my only chance for a lifelong goal of mine. I understand why things were cancelled, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

I don’t know if I should be sharing this or not, but I just feel like I need to talk about it. I still love Disney. I don’t think that will ever change. It’s such a huge part of me. But it’s becoming increasingly painful to think about it and what could’ve been. Every time I go to Disney, I feel so much pain leaving. It feels like it’s the only thing I have.

(Note: Moderators, if this isn’t the right board, feel free to switch it. Just please don’t delete it.)

At any rate, just hang in there. At some point Disney reopens. If it is your dream to work there, then do it. There will be a new day.

Dreams are private, hopes and objects of consolation and ambitions are formed in private events, in the confrontation of your own personality with the external world. Just pursue whatever it is that formed in your own soul.

ddbowdoin

I think the economics of life has played a role in my weaning passions for WDW. Actually, I wouldn’t say it’s a weaning passion but more of a willingness to let it simmer on the back burner. My 20’s were defined by WDW... engaged there, honeymoon there, numerous trips with an AP despite being in Boston. We always did it up wayyyyyy to big, best resorts and restaurants. A series of dumb financial decisions, hello credit card debt! We are ok now but with a newborn and a mortgage those days are long gone. I think my interest has weaned because if I’m not going to do it the way I used to then I’m not sure I can enjoy a lesser version. Maybe I will, we will wait a little bit under my son is older. He’s 8 weeks old!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think the economics of life has played a role in my weaning passions for WDW. Actually, I wouldn’t say it’s a weaning passion but more of a willingness to let it simmer on the back burner. My 20’s were defined by WDW... engaged there, honeymoon there, numerous trips with an AP despite being in Boston. We always did it up wayyyyyy to big, best resorts and restaurants. A series of dumb financial decisions, hello credit card debt! We are ok now but with a newborn and a mortgage those days are long gone. I think my interest has weaned because if I’m not going to do it the way I used to then I’m not sure I can enjoy a lesser version. Maybe I will, we will wait a little bit under my son is older. He’s 8 weeks old!
Cue the "How Young is Too Young To Visit WDW" debate... :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom