Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have a question Marni what would you have done differently regarding some of these decisions? I'm really curious which ones you are fine with and others you would change. Like I like the idea of France and UK getting new rides and other stuff like Spaceship Earth getting updates. But I'm not the biggest fan of the Guardians coaster. I wish it was put in Hollywood Studios.
Pretty much what you’ve just said. UK deserved a dark ride though. Rat works for me since a) it’s an addition and b) can be taken or left given its location. Sightlines notwithstanding. SSE needs a refurb and a finale, so long as it’s sympathetic. The ride and the park have been dumbed down enough already.

Energy and the core plans to me are a travesty. In short, Epcot should have gotten items that wouldn’t fit in any of the other parks. Then it would still have been Epcot, whilst being able to appeal to a modern audience. All IMHO of course.

Don't get me started on the cartoon night show mind.

The Grand Inquisitor

Pretty much what you’ve just said. UK deserved a dark ride though. Rat works for me since a) it’s an addition and b) can be taken or left given its location. Sightlines notwithstanding. SSE needs a refurb and a finale, so long as it’s sympathetic. The ride and the park have been dumbed down enough already.

Energy and the core plans to me are a travesty. In short, Epcot should have gotten items that wouldn’t fit in any of the other parks. Then it would still have been Epcot, whilst being able to appeal to a modern audience.
I agree It's always better to see additions rather than take things away. I'm still disappointed they did not replace wonders of life with an inside out pavilion. Play Pavilion sounds really lame. I really hope if the Mary Poppins project is delayed they will decide to make it a dark ride instead. Doesn't EPCOT have a lot of expansion pads? They should be able to build more rides or countries.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree It's always better to see additions rather than take things away. I'm still disappointed they did not replace wonders of life with an inside out pavilion. Play Pavilion sounds really lame. I really hope if the Mary Poppins project is delayed they will decide to make it a dark ride instead. Doesn't EPCOT have a lot of expansion pads? They should be able to build more rides or countries.
It currently has 3 usable pads left in Showcase and one in FW. 4 in Showcase if you got rid of the Frozen not-allowed-to-meet-anymore.

doctornick

Garden with some waterfalls then?

Sure. That seems like a reasonable description. Am I correct in believing that it will have some edutainment component in describing the life cycle of water or something like that or is it just supposed to be pretty to look at? I feel like they've hinting to some informative aspect but it's not clear.

Regardless, what is being planned is far different from some toddler aimed area to just get wet. I don't even remotely understand how anyone could look at the concept at and think this would be a "splash pad".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sure. That seems like a reasonable description. Am I correct in believing that it will have some edutainment component in describing the life cycle of water or something like that or is it just supposed to be pretty to look at? I feel like they've hinting to some informative aspect but it's not clear.

Regardless, what is being planned is far different from some toddler aimed area to just get wet. I don't even remotely understand how anyone could look at the concept at and think this would be a "splash pad".
To be honest it reminds me of a water feature outside the lobby to a posh hotel. I’ve seen some other stuff, but not the possibility of edutainment so I can’t comment on that.

If it’s worthy of being in this park, in this location, or what potential was lost for it, will be a discussion that will go on for quite some time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Am I correct in believing that it will have some edutainment component in describing the life cycle of water or something like that

There was one blurb or video somewhere that I forget which made "The Journey of Water" a lesson in the cycle of water (evaporation, rain, river, lakes/ocean, evaporation, etc...). But it was more of an intimation than an exact claim that that's what it's supposed to be.

We can hope that it's the edutainment of the cycle of water. But even if that was the original intent, we know that such things can get cut in execution.

It's also suppose to be interactive with one's hands. But, that could get cut and they put up a fence keeping people away like almost all of the other water features.

The Grand Inquisitor

There was one blurb or video somewhere that I forget which made "The Journey of Water" a lesson in the cycle of water (evaporation, rain, river, lakes/ocean, evaporation, etc...). But it was more of an intimation than an exact claim that that's what it's supposed to be.

We can hope that it's the edutainment of the cycle of water. But even if that was the original intent, we know that such things can get cut in execution.

It's also suppose to be interactive with one's hands. But, that could get cut and they put up a fence keeping people away like almost all of the other water features.
It would seem kinda pointless and lame if guests cannot interact with it. It would basically be just a nice looking water feature with some tress. The interactivity element is the coolest sounding part about it.

csmat99

Nothing.

unfortunately for us though that EPCOT no longer exists.
Don't worry instead of Moana I'm sure Chappy will just put a Target store right in middle that everyone needs to pass through to get to World Showcase. But hey I hear it will have a fountain in front of store.

1586364706540.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It would seem kinda pointless and lame if guests cannot interact with it. It would basically be just a nice looking water feature with some tress. The interactivity element is the coolest sounding part about it.

Indeed that is true.

But tell me. With all the lakes and fountains that Epcot has (and had), which ones could you get close enough to to stick your hand in?

WDW's history with water features is to reduce them and cordon them off... With the exception of the eye blasters.*

*Water pad fountains that lure a child to look down into the spout and then blasts them in the face.

Last edited:

Horizons1

Yep. Soarin’ and Wonders took the other two. The big blue box thing infringed on part of the ultimate build out plan.
Well, I doubt they would have done that build out plan anyway. They have no idea how to improve the footprint that exists now. There’s no way they could expand out that way with any sort of improvement with their current decision making.

Tragic, though. Just imagine an EPCOT Center where the park was expanded out that far with radical new pavilions that challenged our perception of the world with the hope of creating a better tomorrow for all.

...yeah, right.

DreamfinderGuy

Yep. Soarin’ and Wonders took the other two. The big blue box thing infringed on part of the ultimate build out plan.
Is that even a big enough pad to put anything useful in? Wonders and Soarin' were pretty big plots. There was obviously some room to expand between Space and TT, but that was for a restaurant, not a pavilion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is that even a big enough pad to put anything useful in? Wonders and Soarin' were pretty big plots. There was obviously some room to expand between Space and TT, but that was for a restaurant, not a pavilion.
Funnily, the space between Space and TT wasn’t a designated pad. The three second generation pads would have been like Wonders, with comparatively narrow entrances leading to buildings set back from the others.

aladdin2007

I would like to see that one left (between land and sea) used for an actual attraction or pavilion, like it was intended...but cant help but think they would forfeit it as a new entrance/exit link to a new connected hotel that has been talked about so much over the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom