Disney to start Furloughs April 19th

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Uh, maybe it's just the planner in me, but isn't all that specified in their current contract?
I think the unions are doing what they can...but they have generally little leverage to dictate who, when, and how many people are rehires.

I’ve very “pro-CM” (though I hate that term as disrespectful)...I’ve been on record. I hope for the best for the frontline workers. The place doesn’t exist without them and they don’t get the proper slice of the pie as is...

Getachew

Exactly. With parks and resorts opening up slowly, not all cast are needed for staffing. With CPs and ICPs being considered in the staffing also so that impacts cast from not all needed to work. A union contract in a company should have verbage on furloughs/lay offs.

they may bring in their regular workers first before CP's.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
they may bring in their regular workers first before CP's.
...I got some bad news on that...
Who knows, the CP housing is a cash cow and Disney is losing more $$ when they don't collect rent from the thousands of CP/ICPs.
...exactly.

Though it’s not the rent. It’s that many if not most of the CPs are parent funded - and the IPs tend to be those with some means - and they spend like sailors in Singapore...

And their minimum wages USED to be federally subsidized as an “internship”...don’t know if they still are. Things have “destabilized” since my day.

HauntedMansionFLA

and that's probably part of what the union is negotiating. Bring in regular CM's first before CP's
I wonder where the seasonal CM falls into all of this? You have the FT/PT and the CP’s who Disney only has to pay $1.00 out of $10.00 and then makes money when collecting rent. I’d be nervous if I was seasonal.

Getachew

I wonder where the seasonal CM falls into all of this? You have the FT/PT and the CP’s who Disney only has to pay $1.00 out of $10.00 and then makes money when collecting rent. I’d be nervous if I was seasonal.

I imagine they may just re-apply down the line, at least some of them? I'm not sure how it works. I know some people who are seasonal don't even live in FL, and just work for a few weeks when they visit family, or just come down for "vacation", etc.

celluloid

I imagine they may just re-apply down the line, at least some of them? I'm not sure how it works. I know some people who are seasonal don't even live in FL, and just work for a few weeks when they visit family, or just come down for "vacation", etc.

They were phasing those out where they could in recent years. Their hours were more demanding and had metrics that were harder to meet where they could no longer just pick up shifts for the parks. College Program in the long run seem to be the replacement plan with more housing and being able to gurantee an income off of their rent and pay less hourly.

Ouray

Disney has the last word and ruling on that.

This is not entirely true. While Florida is a right to work state and this weakens unions, it doesn’t change the fact that the contract covering the largest swath of hourly workers does contain language relating to furlough, lay-off, and recall. Recall is based on seniority, with some additional language relating to qualification. There’s also language relating to the maximum percentage of part time labor that can be utilized by the company. I don’t think the contract has specific language relating to the college program, but I believe there are memoranda between the union and the company outlining how many colleges program participants may be used in a specific area.

Lilofan

This is not entirely true. While Florida is a right to work state and this weakens unions, it doesn’t change the fact that the contract covering the largest swath of hourly workers does contain language relating to furlough, lay-off, and recall. Recall is based on seniority, with some additional language relating to qualification. There’s also language relating to the maximum percentage of part time labor that can be utilized by the company. I don’t think the contract has specific language relating to the college program, but I believe there are memoranda between the union and the company outlining how many colleges program participants may be used in a specific area.
That's all and good but it's speculation. I find that hard to believe a union contract with a company does not contain verbiage of lay offs and furloughs. I agree with another member who posted that the union doesn't have much pull.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom