Disney to start Furloughs April 19th

DCBaker

Premium Member
The following statement has been released from President of the council Matt Hollis (Service Trades Council Union)

"Union leaders met throughout the day on Friday with representatives of Disney about the Company’s proposed furlough. We had productive discussions, but a number of issues remain unresolved.

The coronavirus crisis presents workers with a complicated set of challenges, risks and dangers. We need to consider all of the circumstances that Union members face before we reach any agreement with Disney. With so much at stake, we cannot rush into a quick settlement. We will push for the absolute best result for Union members and their families."

Lilofan

Service Trades Council President tells News 6 that negotiations went on all day and will resume over the weekend. As soon as his full statement/update comes in I'll let you all know.
Probably discussing how, when and how many are employed after the furlough. With the parks and resorts not expected to be fully opened that affects how many actually are needed to work. A union contract with a company generally explains about furlough / lay off situations. Executives, salaried, non union have already been given furlough date that impacts them. To impact union workers, a company needs to meet with the unions to state next plans moving forward. FL is a right to work state.

Getachew

I’m having a hard time understanding what’s being negotiated.

Could be several things. One is probably who comes back first, when, especially if things open back up in phases. They probably won't bring everyone back right away. Even when they re-open, there could be numerous people still out of work. What if they decide to "phase out" certain positions?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Looks to me like instead of "negotiating" with Disney, the unions would be pleading their cases for furloughs vs lay-offs.

The Workers United Local 50 (Disneyland) gave a little more info -

"Resort closing update April 3, 2020

The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind for everyone. We talked to the other Union leaders about yesterday's announcement to plan together what needs to be done. We received a request from the company to negotiate on the continued effects of COVID 19 and have met virtually with them to begin the negotiation process. While the negotiation process is not completed and will continue over the weekend and the following days, there is good news.

The company proposes to suspend all non-essential union members starting April 19 As part of this permission, the company would continue with all the characteristic benefits (health, dentistry, vision, life insurance and EAP). At this point in the process, the company is willing to pay the amount of the member's contribution while a member is on leave. Ensure much needed medical benefits for all members who trust Disney to get health insurance during this pandemic.

This permission is not a dismissal or termination of members. This will help ensure the jobs and seniority of members. When the park reopen for visitors, the members of Local 50 will be the ones to serve them.

Negotiation is not over and will continue. We have a number of items we want to address. If you have a problem you want us to mention, contact us directly. We will continue to update as the negotiation process continues.

It's lucky that Union-backed Democrats pushed for worker s' economic support in recent $ 2 trillion Coronavirus legislation passed last week. We believe that members will be eligible for state unemployment, including the federal boost to unemployment that was part of the legislation. In addition, to alleviate the difficulties that everyone feels, stimulus checks must start disbursing from April 13 for those who received their income tax returns by direct deposit.

If you are looking for help on how to file an unemployment application or look for information based on the county you live in, check out the COVID 19 resource page of our website at https://www.wulocal50.org/covid19. We update the page daily and, if you are looking for information that is not on the page, contact us directly and we will help you as best we can.

In solidarity,
Workers United Local 50"

HauntedMansionFLA

Could be several things. One is probably who comes back first, when, especially if things open back up in phases. They probably won't bring everyone back right away. Even when they re-open, there could be numerous people still out of work. What if they decide to "phase out" certain positions?
Yep. Phase out a lot of positions/departments. Take away perks like Main Gates - you would see a lot of cast members head to the exit.
I guess we will find out tomorrow. Maybe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep. Phase out a lot of positions/departments. Take away perks like Main Gates - you would see a lot of cast members head to the exit.
I guess we will find out tomorrow. Maybe.
Gonna have to disagree with you there...

What good is a main gate when you can’t afford anything Cause you’re out of work and/or falling Behind?

And I hate to be frank about this: but where else are Disney emps going to work? Especially in Orlando?

If you’ve got the key to mobility down there...I’d love to hear it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom