Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

5thGenTexan

I am not going to do a "I told you so" because I didn't talk to anyone about what I thought was coming. I did tell my mother back in Feb that she needed to start picking up stuff she might want to have on hand for a few months. Otherwise I kept my thoughts to myself. Personally, I started hitting Sam's and buying meat to put in smaller packages to freeze, buying dry goods to keep in the pantry, yes I bought TP back then. Right now I am picking up perishable stuff at the store, and trying to save my frozen stuff. I am thinking we have yet to see it bad. People in grocery stores getting sick, drive through and curbside restaurant people getting sick... all of a sudden there is a real limit on being able to pick up food. They have started here limiting how many people can be in stores like Costco or Home Depot, and that will start filtering to other types of stores. I have also said from the beginning, like back in Feb talking to my mother I though this would all last through June and maybe July. I still think that is an accurate timeline.

John park hopper

You think a pandemic with no government response wouldn't be an economic disaster? Take Disney for example, besides a small ignorant minority, who would go to a theme park during a pandemic? Disney would shut down anyway with only 5% of regular attendance.

There would still be news of hospitals being overwhelmed, decisions made about who lives or dies -- already happening in Italy, but with no enforced measures, only much worse. And with that news, who's going to travel? Go to sports games? Go to theme parks, restaurants, movie theaters?

Who would let their child go to school or college? Who would casually shop around malls and stores?

People would wind up self-quarantining because, ya know, they don't want to die. Or let their parents or grandparents die. Or let their child with asthma die.

If you think we could have just gone about our regular economic activities while a pandemic is on the loose... you're wishful thinking there.
No government response---- as the pandemic spread across the country and the death toll rose to a million + there would me total anarchy just look at what happen in New Orleans after Katrina and that was just one city,

Calmdownnow

There also a cultural thing where people are patted on the back for powering through sickness. Peer pressure is really effective. If coming into work sick is frowned upon by most after this it will have a big impact.
Before retirement, I worked with a police officer who used to boast that he had never missed a days work in almost 40 years, turning up for duty even when sick -- at first sight of him approaching the office anytime between October and April, I used to send my staff out of the backdoor so that he didn't infect the mere mortals on my team.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Sure there is...June-ish....

We were told two days ago the next 2 or 3 weeks are going to be the worst we have seen during this crisis...so let's all get over this hump and see where we are at the end of it so we can reassess...

I think the point is technically, if we keep pushing out the 'peak' date for this, then when does it actually end? If the 'peak' date without social distancing was April, but now the 'peak' date with social distancing is late July (once again, these are all based off models), do we all stay home through July? What happens if the peak ends up in September or October?

21stamps

Sure there is...June-ish....

We were told two days ago the next 2 or 3 weeks are going to be the worst we have seen during this crisis...so let's all get over this hump and see where we are at the end of it so we can reassess...

I, along with the rest of the state of Ohio, was just told that our peak could be as early as April 15th or it could be May 15th.. or possibly later.
That’s longer than 2-3 weeks.

JohnD

The more I read threads like this, the more eternally grateful I am that the virus started in a place like China rather than a place like the United States. China handled it very poorly, but they eventually did hard lockdowns.

The United States would have kicked and screamed for months, doubting the virus was even real and refusing to shutdown the economy for any means. Would probably lead to a lot more infections and death.

It's going to be hard not to be political but it comes down to this: In Communist China, you're locked down with the threat of being shot. In the United States, you have freedom. So you have to be more creative. "Safer at home", for example, in Florida.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think the point is technically, if we keep pushing out the 'peak' date for this, then when does it actually end? If the 'peak' date without social distancing was April, but now the 'peak' date with social distancing is late July (once again, these are all based off models), do we all stay home through July? What happens if the peak ends up in September or October?

I have said my piece about pushing full lock downs into May and June....I don't want to get into that again. Right now, I am focused on the next two to three weeks, where it is supposed to be the worst. I am hopeful after that, we will be on the downward side...

21stamps

That is my question. I don’t even think the experts know the answer to it.

lazyboy97o

Unfortunately, life has risk. I'm asthmatic - my wife is working CV19 patients at the hospital. We're all in this together.
Why do you get to decide that others must take this risk? How have you determined that it is a worthwhile risk?

Stay home and take the available unemployment benefits in order to spare their health.
People over 45 represent 41.6% of the US population. You're way past half the population if you then include their dependents and care givers.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I have said my piece about pushing full lock downs into May and June....I don't want to get into that again. Right now, I am focused on the next two to three weeks, where it is supposed to be the worst. I am hopeful after that, we will be on the downward side...

You're prepared for the next 2-3 weeks and have set that in your mind, mentally. You've prepared yourself. What if May/June turns into July/August? What if the worst is in September? Are you mentally prepared to keep the lock downs going?

And I say this as someone who feels like we should've shuttered between mid-March through mid-May. This would've required these factoris and corporations to go into overdrive to get the necessary supplies out to hospitals and health care workers, to put tremendous focus on finding cures, solutions, and eventually a vaccine. This would've required the government to do everything in their power and then some to make people whole so they didn't have to stress/worry about it and could actually enjoy their forced time away to do the right thing. There are many who can continue to work (raises hand) from home. There are others who can't make a living if their business is shut. You've got to make everyone whole for the sacrifice they're making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom