Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMetroid567

I think people worried when their vacation will be need their head checked. This train is just starting to build steam...

How to holiday should be the lowest thing in your list of worries right now.

I'm 50/50 on this. I think it's...fine to be worried about if this affects your May or June vacation. But I've seen some on FB and Twitter worry that it's going to impact their Halloween trip.

If the impact of this virus lasts that long, we will be living in a dramatically different world then we currently do.

Lilofan

I’m thinking CM will get back in toward beginning of May to begin taking deliveries, purchases, testing, etc.

What is the social distancing suggestion? 10 or 15?
If the elected officials approve. Taking deliveries, purchases, testing, are not "essential" services. Beginning of May? That's really wishful thinking. In this pandemic, Disney does not decide when to bring in cast members "early".

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wonder how long it would take to prepare MK only to open (fully operational) on June 1st (date as an example)?
So it could take a month to prep?
Without other complications there’s around a 7 day lead time before opening. Then add in new training. And new protocols. Then you have cleaning, sanitising and fixing. The parks are in a mess and that’s only after two weeks. Imagine the mess after 2-3 months.

To be clear June 1 is an aspirational date it seems in the community. There is no reopening date as things stand. Obviously to say it would be preferable for pretty much everyone is an understatement.

Lilofan

We are hoping they’d have said ‘We are paying hourly employees until April 18th and after that we will no longer’... if they didn’t intend to for a little while longer. Like hopefully not waiting til the last min!
Somewhat and also not related
"Act like you have the coronavirus, and act accordingly"
Act like you are going to be laid off or furloughed after April 19 and act accordingly.

Lilofan

Can I ask in what way(s)?
On my take off the top of my head, -- dirt, dust, grime, mildew, on many covered surfaces outside and inside, overgrown and weedy landscaping, rotten and expired food in kitchen storage areas, outdoor resort swimming pools and water park facilities bodies of water floating with debris of many kinds including contamination. If Disney shut off the power or AC to buildings to save money, one could smell the stench of mildew.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
On my take off the top of my head, -- dirt, dust, grime, mildew, on many covered surfaces outside and inside, overgrown and weedy landscaping, rotten and expired food in kitchen storage areas, outdoor resort swimming pools and water park facilities bodies of water floating with debris of many kinds including contamination. If Disney shut off the power or AC to buildings to save money, one could smell the stench of mildew.
And that would be after only 2 weeks.

celluloid

Yes. Also, the entire bus line and mechanics of anything with wheels and engines. Things sitting tend to not go in motion or at the very least get flat tire spots.
It is alot more than many would think. Not to mention leaks and things that were also causing trouble and without crews given time and this going further, gusty storms and Hurricanes will be blowing things, especially unfinished projects around.

Lilofan

Yes. Also, the entire bus line and mechanics of anything with wheels and engines. Things sitting tend to not go in motion or at the very least get flat tire spots.
It is alot more than many would think. Not to mention leaks and things that were also causing trouble and without crews given time and this going further, gusty storms and Hurricanes will be blowing things, especially unfinished prjects around.
All these vehicles ridden by guests and or cast, boats, monorail with lots of moving parts. One member posted the mechanics were already sent home so these areas are not being regularly checked and or serviced. But a question would be, does WDW have enough TP?😉

LittleBuford

I assumed they would have a skeleton staff in place to keep up basic maintenance, but perhaps that’s wishful thinking on my part.

celluloid

Skeleton crew for living things under their responsibility, Tri Circle D, Living With The Land, Living Seas and Animal Kingdom of Course, but I imagine the skeleton crew for the rest are quite small. Those may be the ones safest from being laid off or furlough, especially if their management is kept for working from home scheduling purposes. A smaller team can only do so much.

But we have also seen how matinence was when the cash flow was coming in at all time highs, and how former projects had been left to rot.

Jon81uk

I don't expect park operations to return to true normal until 2021. Domestic shutdown is likely to be at least three months so June to July for re-opening would be the earliest. Then depending on how things pan out international travel may be restricted for most of 2020, depending on how other countries are coping. If the USA takes longer to act and doesn't keep it under control I could see restrictions on movement from UK to US, similarly it very much depends on how Italy and Spain recover as there could be restrictions on travel to them for much of 2020.

Touchdown

To those of you think it’s pointless to worry about a vacation currently, it’s nice to have something to look forward to when you deal with this virus everyday. My job is absolutely 100% secure, I’ll let you guess what I do, and when this is all said and over I’m absolutely going on a vacation.

Most models are suggesting we will be over the hump by June and the peak of this occurring in late April. It appears widespread testing will become available and implemented in the next two weeks. Once that occurs it will be a game changer in stopping the spread of this virus and may change those models (for the better.) This will be especially true when the antibody test becomes available as researchers will finally get a good idea of how many people have already been “sick” (asymptotic) and recovered from the virus.

I think it is very likely that international travel will be severely impacted for the rest of the year (the cases in the sourthern hemisphere are taking off suggesting there will be a seasonality to the virus) but I expect that by the time WDW opens we will not be practicing social distancing.

zengoth

Could be a virtual queue system setup for most popular rides without an outdoor queue (which in FL is just about all rides, more outdoor queues at DLR). For dining they may have availability issues for smaller restaurants with half as many tables. The larger places should be OK. Transport will be dicey. Half full buses, monorail cars and boats may be the norm...along with longer lines. Rental car companies may make out OK if that’s the case.
Wouldn't the whole park need to be on a virtual queue system - just to get in? If individual attractions have virtual queues, that's cool - but then you have packs of people waiting (people eater rides have become people snackers at this point). How do you keep the throngs waiting six feet apart? And, if only a few are let in to the whole park at one time, the crowds amass at Transportation and Ticket Center? Remain in their cars? Queue along I-4? I believe it will be "invitation only" to a select few (hundred?) at the beginning of the reopening.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Wouldn't the whole park need to be on a virtual queue system - just to get in? If individual attractions have virtual queues, that's cool - but then you have packs of people waiting (people eater rides have become people snackers at this point). How do you keep the throngs waiting six feet apart? And, if only a few are let in to the whole park at one time, the crowds amass at Transportation and Ticket Center? Remain in their cars? Queue along I-4? I believe it will be "invitation only" to a select few (hundred?) at the beginning of the reopening.

and the bathrooms, shopping, dining, transportation, drink carts, etc. there's nothing Disney can do to really stop the spread in their parks just like there's really nothing our local grocery stores, drug stores, or take our restaurants can do. They can try things to make us feel safer and possibly help (sorta like as a facade) in places, but the risk is always going to be there until a vaccine wipes this away. At some point, we are going to have to go back to the way things were and hope there are new medications (which they are testing now) to help combat the effects of this virus to make it less severe.

The next time we go to Disney, just remember to wash your hands and don't touch you're face and we likely won't catch it based on what doctors are saying now

DisneyCane

Could be a virtual queue system setup for most popular rides without an outdoor queue (which in FL is just about all rides, more outdoor queues at DLR). For dining they may have availability issues for smaller restaurants with half as many tables. The larger places should be OK. Transport will be dicey. Half full buses, monorail cars and boats may be the norm...along with longer lines. Rental car companies may make out OK if that’s the case.

I would actually think you'd want the queue to be outdoors as much as possible if you were to do something like this. Especially in Florida in the potential opening time frame. Aside from the air outdoors "diluting" the virus particles, the heat outdoors will kill/deactivate the virus more quickly than indoors and the humidity will cause the particles to fall to the ground faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom