What's Still On and What's Now Off

UNCgolf

I wonder if that is to appease the Golden oaks and the rich people or the area?

I doubt it. The Disney golf courses aren't especially good (they're not bad, just kind of average) so I'd imagine any "rich people" that really care about golf are members of a private club in Orlando. And even if not, they'd likely play the Four Seasons course if possible (not sure if it's still open), which is better than the Disney courses.

celluloid

While my profile says “new member” - I’ve been around since 2015 - so not exactly new - just quiet. And as I said - it’s my opinion.

Your opinion was a wrong conclusion. You stated it as a fact and followed it by saying your opinion. It is not the same as saying something in a subjective. You claimed Disney was more ethical than Universal in this situation. I would provide evidence to the contrary if you want to go on.
The truth is all are just trying to do their best.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, we already know that it is morally imperative that Universal shut down their projects and fire everyone. It’s good to also know that they’ve already started charging construction workers admission to Universal’s Epic Universe of Epicness so much that it is somehow already profitable.
...now that’s more like it!!! 🧐

Notes from Neverland

Rejuvenate and turn what’s left into the events pavilion. Build something south of it that looks like what was torn down and stick their much needed (apparently) bar in it. Make it two floors and stick the M&G downstairs. Voila. Same endgame, fraction of the price. And quick.

Could be the only good thing to come out of this sorry sorry mess.
Is this an actual possibility? Or a hopeful outcome?

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Some posts mentioned virtual queues. How much capacity could the parks run at with virtual queues (with all attractions open, post virus reductions)? It seems they need lines to absorb people and guard against multiplying issues with crowded walkways, shoppers, people staking out restaurant tables killing time, etc more than they already do. And virtual lines would only make all that worse, short of cutting capacity?

TrainsOfDisney

Some posts mentioned virtual queues. How much capacity could the parks run at with virtual queues (with all attractions open, post virus reductions)? It seems they need lines to absorb people and guard against multiplying issues with crowded walkways, shoppers, people staking out restaurant tables killing time, etc more than they already do. And virtual lines would only make all that worse, short of cutting capacity?

40-50% has been mentioned on this board. If you cut fireworks and parades, you also have less people staying for certain parts of the day. There’s a reason Disney has fireworks every night, it keeps people from leaving until closing time.

Josh Hendy

I can't imagine how any strategy can possibly allow theme parks to function if there is still a contagious disease in the population.

No matter what you do with queues, parades and restaurants, the rides themselves have a million things that people touch such as railings, lap bars, handholds and things. The ride vehicles and theater seats are cheek by jowl. Imagine all the saliva and boogers being spread everywhere by hand touching alone ... never mind if someone coughs or sneezes. An army of thousands of wipers per theme park couldn't go around wiping everything frequently enough. And there would be either a mountain of disposable wipes to deal with, or a pile of washable towels that would be loaded with germs.

I think the virus has to be virtually eradicated by either natural or induced immunity before any kind of theme park or entertainment venue can operate again.

DDLand

I try to give them a pass on downtime because I have no idea what it takes to keep these things going.

I forgot about the Moana water trail for Epcot. LOL. Whoops. They could always keep the building that's left and put in some props and projections and signs and add a meet and greet and call it a day.
I say they put down some pavement, and get a cast member to spray guests with a hose... Moana: Water Encounter!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What's remarkable is two companies in the same industry doing the same type of work hiring (essentially) the same contractors in the same area of the same state working under the same regulations and both having very similar contracts and insurance schemes. One of them is saying let's continue as before, one of them says, shut it down 100%.

Either the two companies' safety policies or their spending policies are 180 degrees opposite.
tenor.gif

disney4life2008

I doubt it. The Disney golf courses aren't especially good (they're not bad, just kind of average) so I'd imagine any "rich people" that really care about golf are members of a private club in Orlando. And even if not, they'd likely play the Four Seasons course if possible (not sure if it's still open), which is better than the Disney courses.
40-50% has been mentioned on this board. If you cut fireworks and parades, you also have less people staying for certain parts of the day. There’s a reason Disney has fireworks every night, it keeps people from leaving until closing time.

I'm not sure I agree. That was the old Disney I would say up until 2010. If Disney could, they would eliminate all Parade and shows. They have in the past for select entertainment Ala fantasmic (to save cost). Trust me, they would have no problem with 7pm closing across the board. On the inverse, people would complain which is what we did about fantasmic.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
...or a pile of washable towels that would be loaded with germs.
Have you ever noticed the CMs in the CS venues with their spray bottles and buckets of disinfectant? They use the same towels over and over... saturated with the sanitizing solution, they're hardly hospitable havens for gregarious germs or vivacious viruses.

Lilofan

Have you ever noticed the CMs in the CS venues with their spray bottles and buckets of disinfectant? They use the same towels over and over... saturated with the sanitizing solution, they're hardly hospitable havens for gregarious germs or vivacious viruses.
Good points but many companies not just Disney clean with the same dirty rag.

MotownMurder

If Disney is apparently on the verge of going bankrupt because of the virus, then how is Universal blazing ahead with construction? Do they really have that much more liquidity than Disney, or are they just being reckless?

willtravel

I don't know anything about construction of attractions but is it easier to continue building and or finishing these new/refurb attractions with no one around meaning the public? Get it done faster? Just thinking about how Universal is going forward with theres.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I don't know anything about construction of attractions but is it easier to continue building and or finishing these new/refurb attractions with no one around meaning the public? Get it done faster?
It depends on the circumstances of the site but its irrelevant as Disney has stopped all construction in the US.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom