Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just don’t get the delays. People complaining so know we wil keep them open a few days more. Need to be a bit more serious.
My county in PA has already gone on essential businesses only as have several others in the Philly suburban area. I think the issue is if you look at a map of the PA cases by county there are some more rural areas in the middle of the state hardly touched and the Pittsburgh area is less impacted. I think people tend to view This through their own eyes and say “there’s not that many cases in my area so why am I being asked to sacrifice”. We’ve seen some of that in this very thread. I can understand the mentality but the flaw in that thinking is that testing is not ramped up to the same level everywhere. In Montgomery County PA they opened a drive thru testing location at a Temple University satellite campus. They are doing lots of testing and that leads to more positives. In West Virginia a few days back there were no positives but they had only tested 40 some odd people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It may be that factories are shifting to producing more toilet paper, masks, tissues, etc so have cut down on other paper products?
I did read somewhere that the factories are starting to switch over from producing the large commercial TP rolls used in public toilet stalls to more home use products. It may just take a little time until we see the benefits.

Nubs70

LA County -

"The nation’s second-largest municipal health system has told its staff that it is essentially abandoning hope of containing the coronavirus outbreak and instructed doctors not to bother testing symptomatic patients if a positive result won’t change how they would be treated."

Same concept occurred during H1N1

thomas998

There's a matter of the dose making the poison, and how an individuals immune system responds to it.
A person with a well functioning immune system may inhale a small number of virus and fight it off quite well.
A person with a weak immune system and underlying health conditions might not.
Similarly that first person might not fare as well if they got a heavy dose - say an infected person sneezed right in their face.
It really comes down to probabilities. Fling a single virus onto a person and the virus has to hit just the right place to even had chance to take off and spread... it the dead skin cell that was about to fall off and the virus has hit a break wall... land right near the mouth and have the person lick their lips and your luck as a virus just went off the chart. And at any point until you reach a critical level of viruses there is a chance something will happen that stops the virus from replicating... The immune system isn't going to even know what to do when a virus first enters a person's body, it first has to be triggered to respond... In the end you could get sick from a single virus landing in just the right place and finding a perfect home... but the odds of that happen are pretty low... with each virus flung your way the odds of one finding a perfect place go up and so do your odds of getting infected... It really isn't a matter of dosage as that would imply that if Mr. A is really health that he could be exposed to X number of viruses every day or so and it wouldn't matter because none of the dosages was ever pas the threshold... when in fact a single virus could infect him and it is only a matter of the probability increasing based on the number of viruses he is exposed to.

DisneyCane

21stamps

I just don’t get the delays. People complaining so know we wil keep them open a few days more. Need to be a bit more serious.

Trying to save lives in multiple ways. Our governor said yesterday that he is not shutting down almost all business as of now, he wants to preserve our economy as much as possible.. he has a list of things that businesses must do to keep their employees and/or customers safe.

Imo, this is the correct way to handle it.

DisneyDebRob

My county in PA has already gone on essential businesses only as have several others in the Philly suburban area. I think the issue is if you look at a map of the PA cases by county there are some more rural areas in the middle of the state hardly touched and the Pittsburgh area is less impacted. I think people tend to view This through their own eyes and say “there’s not that many cases in my area so why am I being asked to sacrifice”. We’ve seen some of that in this very thread. I can understand the mentality but the flaw in that thinking is that testing is not ramped up to the same level everywhere. In Montgomery County PA they opened a drive thru testing location at a Temple University satellite campus. They are doing lots of testing and that leads to more positives. In West Virginia a few days back there were no positives but they had only tested 40 some odd people.
I lived about a half mile away from the Temple campus that they are testing at now. I live a few miles more away from it now. The testing just started 2 days ago and they are having tons of problems. People are computhey can’t be tested. As a matter of fact, the first day was for hospital workers and emt’s and those people which is good. Again, you need a doctors note, a appointment and something else which is slipping my mind right now. Not that I disagree but a lot of people are not happy. If we are going to control this the best we can, shut down as much as possible.
I do agree with you about the “ why do I have to sacrifice “ part. Shame people can’t put the better good for all above everything .

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Trying to save lives in multiple ways. Our governor said yesterday that he is not shutting down business as of now, he wants to preserve our economy as much as possible.. he has a list of things that businesses must do to keep their employees and/or customers safe.

Imo, this is the correct way to handle it.
I think the point @DisneyDebRob is making is why delay for a few days? If they wanted to follow your “plan” then don’t shut things down ever. If you are closing all but non-essential businesses why delay it 2 days? That’s not preserving the economy, just potentially putting you 2 days behind. Look how fast things are changing day to day. It’s a bit foolish to delay.

21stamps

I think the point @DisneyDebRob is making is why delay for a few days? If they wanted to follow your “plan” then don’t shut things down ever. If you are closing all but non-essential businesses why delay it 2 days? That’s not preserving the economy, just potentially putting you 2 days behind. Look how fast things are changing day to day. It’s a bit foolish to delay.

2 days can generate more profits. They probably realize that the impact is too great, can’t go back on the order, but at least delay and get a couple more days in.

DisneyDebRob

2 days can generate more profits. They probably realize that the impact is too great, can’t go back on the order, but at least delay and get a couple more days in.
Seriously though, 2 days is not going to save any business if this goes longer then anyone expects it. But the possible number of new infections could tilt it to a even longer shutdown. Do it now and let’s get started.

thomas998

It may be that factories are shifting to producing more toilet paper, masks, tissues, etc so have cut down on other paper products?
More likely it is warehouses have shifted the priority of what gets shipped out on the trucks which are going to be fewer and fewer as drivers get sick and stop driving. Most factories are so specialized in the machines that manufacture a product that most aren't going to be capable of easily switching between a feminine hygiene pad and a box or tissues or masks even if they wanted to switch... which is why you don't have masks flooding the store shelves. Even if 3M wanted to double their production of masks they can't because a factory is like a Disney ride it moves at a certain speed and that's the limit. All those factories will have had sources of raw materials sorted out before they even opened up so the material used isn't going to be an issue for them... it will pretty much come down to whether the worker at the factory are well enough to run the factory and whether the trucks are available to transport the final product.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We can agree to disagree. I view this as if there’s a need to shut things down then do it. It’s a yes or no decision, not a maybe. Leaders need to be decisive not wishy washy and I had been pretty happy with the governor‘s actions so far. This one was a head scratcher.

thomas998

Seriously though, 2 days is not going to save any business if this goes longer then anyone expects it. But the possible number of new infections could tilt it to a even longer shutdown. Do it now and let’s get started.
Well the flip side is that if you have some people that haven't stocked up on something they are going to need to survive and you shut down their supply without warning then those people may die. A shut down generally needs to happen after sufficient notice of it is given so people can prepare.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well the flip side is that if you have some people that haven't stocked up on something they are going to need to survive and you shut down their supply without warning then those people may die. A shut down generally needs to happen after sufficient notice of it is given so people can prepare.
Essential businesses like grocery, convenience, pharmacy and gas stations are staying open. Nobody’s supply is being impacted.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
More likely it is warehouses have shifted the priority of what gets shipped out on the trucks which are going to be fewer and fewer as drivers get sick and stop driving

This is the worst scenario. Trucking shuts down. If that happens there will be mass panic. Ironically, with all the advancement of technology - right now it comes down to a few guys and gals driving trucks.

mikejs78

Premium Member
If that turns out to be the case then shutting down the economy is pointless. The reason behind it is to slow the spread. If the whole country becomes like New York then it isn't working.
I don't think the whole country is going to become NYC. NY waited too long to institute controls given its population density. Social distancing works - S Korea is a good example of this.

Any government waiting to close to "preserve the economy" is going to actually make the economy worse in the long run. The longer controls are held off, the longer and worse the situation will be. S Korea locked down immediately on discovering the virus in their boarders, and the impact was minimal for them.

Basically the reason we need all these shelter in place orders / school closings / social distancing is because of lack of tests. Again, S Korea locked things down, tested like crazy, isolated and quaranteened more targeted areas, and then were able to relax the lockdown. We need these lockdowns until we can ramp our testing up and get through the current wave. Then we can reopen and get more targeted going forward.

DisneyDebRob

If you read the article, the governor was getting waivers from all businesses, including dry cleaners and such. Not really essential. I see your point but I’m willing to bet most people in the country are well aware as of a few weeks now this could be coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom