Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

It's been 90°F in Florida the past few days. Cases are rising faster than ever. It has nothing to do with heat or sun, but herd immunity and protective mitigation strategies performed by ALL.
Oh, I'm well aware. I just like to be armed with correct information when I combat falsehoods being spread in our town FB group, so I really appreciate the info you shared. :)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I thought this at first, too but to be fair, there is a little bit more to the story:

• They were concerned because without all beach cities along that coast acting in unison, all they would be doing is pushing these folks further down the beach and condensing them.

• Given the crowds they were dealing with, they were not sure how they were going to actually be able to successfully enforce this, initially.

• There was concern that pushing these people back into hotels to drink and hang out in close quarters could cause more problems than it solves.

I'm sure there was a financial component not being publicly mentioned but I was initially wondering why they weren't acting sooner, too.

Some of the info that's been disclosed on the decision making process makes it a little more clear.
Of all the years we could have used a Red Tide...

LSU beat them... sorry, just couldn't resist!

orlandogal22

It's been 90°F in Florida the past few days. Cases are rising faster than ever. It has nothing to do with heat or sun, but herd immunity and protective mitigation strategies performed by ALL.

We've hit 90? For the last few days? News to me. Where are you at in Florida that it's been 90 the last few days? Mid- / high-80s for a couple hours in the afternoon - maybe 89 for a short short time yesterday (like 1/2 hour) here in Orlando.

It's 80 in Miami right now and 85 in Orlando (actually 83 registering where I'm at in Orlando metro) :)

EDIT: Just checked historical records on Weather Underground - Orlando had high of 88 Thurs., 86 Wed., 86 Tues., 86 Mon., 88 Sun., 87 Sat. Miami's been cooler. Tampa's been about the same as us.

Don't bring on 90s any sooner than necessary! LOL

21stamps

We've hit 90? For the last few days? News to me. Where are you at in Florida that it's been 90 the last few days? Mid- / high-80s for a couple hours in the afternoon - maybe 89 for a short short time yesterday (like 1/2 hour) here in Orlando.

It's 80 in Miami right now and 85 in Orlando (actually 83 registering where I'm at in Orlando metro) :)

EDIT: Just checked historical records on Weather Underground - Orlando had high of 88 Thurs., 86 Wed., 86 Tues., 86 Mon., 88 Sun., 87 Sat. Miami's been cooler. Tampa's been about the same as us.

Yeah, even the Keys are @ 80 all week and next.

Whoah, I just checked Orlando, they do have a lot of hot afternoons right now. That’s crazy.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
As I mentioned a few days ago, but now supported by folks on beaches, Disney cannot allow Spring Break to occur. So the tentative date will move to about 4/20.

It will be interesting to see if there are mass layoffs announced as well. If there are layoffs, expect the closures to continue well beyond 4/20. If they continue to cary salaries of CM, it would be a more optimistic sign for reopening sooner rather than later.

DisneyCane

Yeah, except that within two weeks of knowing H1N1 had touched down in the US, CDC had thousands of tests on the ground and ready to go. By the same point in that outbreak, we had hundreds of thousands SHIPPED. It doesn’t mean you have control over the pathogen, but you’re not failing on the most basic level of seeing who has this. Right now, we have the worst testing rate in the Western world by any metric, per capita, absolute numbers, anything. This isn’t our first rodeo. We’re supposed to be the leading center of disease response on the planet.
Completely honestly, once the number of cases needing testing exceeded the CDC capacity to test, it didn't really matter because it was no longer containable by quarantine.

Everybody exhibiting any symptoms that can be COVID-19 can and should just assume they have it when it comes to isolation.

For treatment it doesn't really matter if you have COVID-19 or not except for the PPE of the provider.

If the report is accurate that 13% of cases were from asymptomatic transmission, then the focus on testing failures is even more overblown. You can't even get people to voluntarily not form crowds at the beach. Even if the tests were available, there is no chance to get any significant percentage of people with no symptoms to go get a test that requires shoving a swab up your nose to the back of your throat.

The only thing wider testing is allowing is to get a more realistic mortality rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToTBellHop

Thanks for the info. In my head it’s going to be much longer. Hope I’m wrong.
Another extension is certainly possible. This move is just to provide a “breather”. It’s obvious 4/1 isn’t happening, so this provides a few weeks to let the situation unfold without people obsessively calling to ensure that the 7DMT FP they got in late January will be honored.

No significant layoffs yet. Just attrition for now.

DisneyDebRob

Another extension is certainly possible. This move is just to provide a “breather”. It’s obvious 4/1 isn’t happening, so this provides a few weeks to let the situation unfold.
What I can’t process in my head is this. If a vaccine isn’t available soon.. earliest they have said is 6 months away.. but with most saying 12-18 months.. how will places like Disney deal with crowds? I’m just not sure if the testing now that everyone is doing reaches a point where the cases level off or go down, is that the time to say, ok crowds are now no problem? Sort of like the chicken and the egg scenario. Tough to figure out. I’m not just talking about Disney, I mean all things that have hundreds or thousands of people.

VaderTron

The difference between 88 and 90 cannot be determined by most without a thermometer or weather service. Even the IRS is giving people a break right now. Do you mind forgoing an audit and accepting my temperature estimates or must I provide notarized records of temperatures in Florida recorded by weather experts? Goodness...I know people are bored, but there's GOT to be something better to do than "ACTUALLY!..." people on a temperature estimate. 🙄

DisneyCane

What I can’t process in my head is this. If a vaccine isn’t available soon.. earliest they have said is 6 months away.. but with most saying 12-18 months.. how will places like Disney deal with crowds? I’m just not sure if the testing now that everyone is doing reaches a point where the cases level off or go down, is that the time to say, ok crowds are now no problem? Sort of like the chicken and the egg scenario. Tough to figure out. I’m not just talking about Disney, I mean all things that have hundreds or thousands of people.
No vaccine will be available in 6 months. Too much testing is needed. They are pretty much banking on the current extreme measures to reduce spread to a trickle and for it to stay that way due to seasonality to buy more time.

Possibly some treatments may be available soon that could treat it well enough to make mitigation of spread somewhat unnecessary.

ToTBellHop

What I can’t process in my head is this. If a vaccine isn’t available soon.. earliest they have said is 6 months away.. but wil most saying 12-18 months.. how will places like Disney deal with crowds? I’m just not sure if the testing now that everyone is doing reaches a point where the cases level off or go down, is that the time to say, ok crowds are now no problem? Sort of like the chicken and the egg scenario. Tough to figure out. I’m not just talking about Disney, I mean all things that have hundreds or thousands of people.
Ignoring politicians, those with actual knowledge expect this to be most widespread for 7 more weeks then start to wane. It is far more widespread than reported. You don’t see spread like this from 16000 cases in a nation of 328,000,000.

DisneyDebRob

No vaccine will be available in 6 months. Too much testing is needed. They are pretty much banking on the current extreme measures to reduce spread to a trickle and for it to stay that way due to seasonality to buy more time.

Possibly some treatments may be available soon that could treat it well enough to make mitigation of spread somewhat unnecessary.
Was just mentioning the earliest I heard. I agree that’s probably impossible. Let’s hope we do have treatments for it or this could go a lot longer then anyone expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom