Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
54% of small business owners are over age 50. The average age of CEOs is 59. The average age of CFOs is 56. In this plan to "just let it run it's course," either these people will get sick or have to remove themselves from the day-to-day operations of their businesses (good luck on that), and many would die, how does that avoid "economic disruption?" Many of these people, due to the stress and lifestyle of running a business have "pre-existing conditions" that would leave themselves vulnerable.

Some of you gotta this image out of your head that the old people, are all tottering, feeble, half senile or all senile octogenarians. And therefore expendable.
Plus all those 10 cent coffees at McDonalds ;)

Its also young people who are sick who are high risk.

JohnD

Not sure if this was already posted or really adds much:

Yes. Already posted. They could have decided to close a week ago and MK would be packed the night prior. If they had decided to close on Sunday then MK would have been packed on Saturday. Whatever. They’re closed now, currently through 3/31 but I’m not optimistic they’ll reopen 4/1.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes - everybody who has pre-existing conditions should be in taking all precautions necessary to protect themselves as they should during every flu season and when similar viruses are going around.
Part of the flu protection is a vaccine and if that is ineffective anti-virals tested for the flu. That’s the difference here. As I posted earlier, looks like it may only be a month or so for anti-virals to be available to the masses assuming testing goes well. The vaccine may still be a 9 months to a year.

RobWDW1971

Part of the flu protection is a vaccine and if that is ineffective anti-virals tested for the flu. That’s the difference here. As I posted earlier, looks like it may only be a month or so for anti-virals to be available to the masses assuming testing goes well. The vaccine may still be a 9 months to a year.
Completely understood - everybody understands this particular virus is not influenza. The point being that influenza every year kills 40-60K people in the US and the vast majority of those deaths are this similar set of individuals (elderly and those of any age with pre-existing conditions) so they should, like always, be taking extra precautions, especially when this particular virus is more dangerous - for those people.

21stamps

Through or to? Kind of appropriate not to have services during Lent. Easter would be a wonderful day to come back in celebration.

64EA6F80-ACAF-410A-A629-574C83E0317D.jpeg

HongKongFooy

Catholic Mass is suspended in Ohio thru Easter Sunday. Per the bishops.

Yep, more or less all organizations are changing patterns........even ISIS is directing its healthy operatives to stay out of Europe.

We're all doing our part to deal with this thing.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes. Already posted. They could have decided to close a week ago and MK would be packed the night prior. If they had decided to close on Sunday then MK would have been packed on Saturday. Whatever. They’re closed now, currently through 3/31 but I’m no optimistic they’ll reopen 4/1.
They didn’t need to announce ahead of time. Just wait until the parks close and announce that night they would not open the next day. I get that the last day open would have still seen crowds, but when many places were already closing schools and limiting public gatherings it was a little odd they kept it open.

I agree 4/1 is unlikely too. When the CDC called for no gatherings over 50 people for 8 weeks I was thinking mid May at the earliest, but now they seem to have walked that back to no gatherings over 10 people for 15 days. Either way I imagine they don’t want a Spring Break crowd level so 4/20 at the earliest.

Nubs70

She's simply extrapolating "if 1% had the virus" to get to the number. BTW, it is a virus that is twice as contagious as the flu so probably much more than that will get it. But they always bury the important part paragraphs down:

"Not everyone with the virus has symptoms, and about 80 percent of people with the virus do not end up needing hospitalization, experts say. However, the virus can be deadly especially for older people and those with underlying health conditions."

Currently around the world ~90% only have a mild case meaning they don't even need hospitilization. Wash your hands. Buy a churro. And carry on.View attachment 456669
Saw this bozo and his medical sidekick do an interview. When pressed to explain the methodology, DeWine deferred to his medical sockpuppet, she could explain nothing about the methodology by which the conclusion was derived. Her best explanation was " I am tired, I cannot remember the details." Well sugar britches, before you get on national tv with such a claim, you better damn well have your story straight. How anyone could get on national TV and claim their state has more infected individuals than the entire world (at that time) without having an iron clad analysis to back it up? Its beyond me. The host should have thrown them off the air.

This was the most blatant attempt to create panic I have seen yet.

21stamps

Yep, more or less all organizations are changing patterns........even ISIS is directing it's healthy operatives to stay out of Europe.

We're all doing our part to deal with this thing.

I have a feeling that we’re going to see a lot of businesses and churches be forced, financially, to shutter their doors for good in the coming months.

I really hope that “we’re” doing the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom