Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Unfortunately, the majority of people in the US who have died were high risk folks who were already isolated from the rest of society. Their caregivers/visitors/vendors went about business as usual and brought it into their rooms.

I've heard many reports that nursing homes and hospitals are limiting visitors now - limiting them to healthcare workers who have to use precautions..
They've also enacted protocols for those who are allowed contact with residents/patients.

rowrbazzle

This may not be popular and sorry if someone already posted this opinion. We all new corona was coming. why didn't we just have the people that are vulnerable to a severe corona infection isolate themselves and let the rest of society go about business as usual. We could have been proactive and set up a support system for these people.

Unfortunately, the majority of people in the US who have died were high risk folks who were already isolated from the rest of society. Their caregivers/visitors/vendors went about business as usual and brought it into their rooms.

I've heard many reports that nursing homes and hospitals are limiting visitors now - limiting them to healthcare workers who have to use precautions..

You can't just detain people without cause. Vulnerability to infection or interacting with those who are vulnerable is not sufficient cause. But even if you did, then there is no one to take care of those in need. And there's only so much that workers can do. It's obviously a complicated situation.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A by-product of social media is pressure on new moms to be perfect...I succumbed to it for a little bit, and with 2 sons who have autism, I can tell you it was devastating with trying to keep up with it all. Thankfully I'm back to my hippie-ish, laid-back ways and really don't really give a crap what anyone else thinks of my parenting abilities. If I'm concerned about my boys' health...I call the nurse at the pediatrician's office and ask if I should bring them in...it saves us all tons of time and money. (Hubby thinks I'm nuts for not bringing them at the first sign of a cough - and I just keep telling him what they tell me...it's a cold, they'll get over it.)

This pressure started long before social media, trust me. Kids would come home with notes telling you that your child would be checked for nits when they returned to school, so you'd better treat them...or else. Lice aren't fatal, just annoying. And quite common for kids to share.

ELG13

Parents would get a message that someone in the class has lice, so please check your child. Instead of doing that, they would treat them with lice shampoo - "just in case. "

The same is happening now. Someone has cold or flu symptoms (very common this time of year) so instead of staying at home, and treating it with "rest, stay warm, drinks lots of fluids, and to ease discomfort take xyz product"

Instead they are running to the doctor's asking to be tested for Covid-19 - "just in case."
Our school district isnt allowed to tell us there's lice. I befriended a teacher my daughter's kindergarten year and we were setting up a party while the kids were out and she told me that "you didn't hear this from me because we are technically allowed to tell parents but there is lice in the class so check your daughter."
I was like say whaaaaaa? You can't tell me? She said no because then parents will start asking well who has it, who started it blah blah blah so we rely on the school district to release a statement when it's bad enough and parents to just spread the word when they find it.

VJ

A by-product of social media is pressure on new moms to be perfect...I succumbed to it for a little bit, and with 2 sons who have autism, I can tell you it was devastating with trying to keep up with it all. Thankfully I'm back to my hippie-ish, laid-back ways and really don't really give a crap what anyone else thinks of my parenting abilities. If I'm concerned about my boys' health...I call the nurse at the pediatrician's office and ask if I should bring them in...it saves us all tons of time and money. (Hubby thinks I'm nuts for not bringing them at the first sign of a cough - and I just keep telling him what they tell me...it's a cold, they'll get over it.)
as someone on the autism spectrum, i'm sure you're a great parent 😁

ELG13

All the parents live me because after working in the medical field for so long I am all about spreading the word. My daughter had pinworms when she was little Soni told all the parents we had been around bc they are highly contagious and one by one the moms came up to me alone saying that their daughter had them a week or two prior. So my daughter got them from one of them but they were too embarrassed to say anything I was like well if we would have talked sooner we all could have been proactive! It's so stupid to me.

Club Cooloholic

Well, I guess there is no reason they cant get ahead on some maintenance. Let's see fresh paint, all rides working well, yes even the yeti and maybe some stuff in development gets finished ahead of schedule. I am half kidding...but hey fresh paint at least?

Captain Neo

My concern is many things won’t reopen. Anything that is equity heavy in particular.... hoop dee doo, laugh floor, voices of Liberty, castle show, streetmosphere, etc.

Also CM heavy minor attractions like planet watch...

oh Chapek will take full advantage of this just like airlines used 9/11 as an excuse to gut amenities of air travel. Remember there’s a full generation that doesn’t know that we used to get complimentary meals and drinks on air flights,there Were very limited luggage restrictions,and you didn’t have to take your shoes off and go through a cancer causing machine every time you had to catch a flight.

JohnD

Meh - I don't have enough information to know if Disney is going to screw their employees or not. Lots and lots of wiggle room in the statements they've made to date.

You can read into their statement whether they're going to "screw" them all you like. All I know is what is in their statement which doesn't sound "meh" or not knowing enough to me:

"The Walt Disney Company will pay its cast members during that closure period."

DisneyGigi

Office supply stores frequently carry hand sanitizer, toilet paper, wipes, water, etc. That's my go-to place if I need Hurricane supplies.
Can only speak for here, but toilet paper and hand sanitizer completely cleaned out our local office supply. I did not look at water.

DisneyGigi

100 million Americans have high blood pressure and are considered "high risk." That's just one thing. Putting every person with an underlying health condition into isolation would arguably cause the same, if not more, chaos.

That, and there are still some outlier people who otherwise seem healthy that are getting this virus and having serious complications. We just don't know enough about how this virus acts to assume this person is safe and this person is not.
I fall under the high bp category. Long term high bp, since I was 21 years old. I am only 46 and always told with my high risk to get a flu shot. I am going as little places as I can until they know more. Also just in case I can’t get them thankful that I have a little over 3 months of meds as it also regulates my heart beat. I HAVE to have them.

It's about time. Why does everyone have to wait until Disney takes the lead. Those 3 should be ashamed of themselves for taking so long. But, what about paying their employees? Are they paying them? If Six Flags doesn't. I will drop my Diamond Elite Membership. My money only goes to companies that care about their employees.
As somebody who has worked for Six Flags- there is a 0% chance they pay their employees during the closures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom