News Haunted Mansion To Remain Closed For Unknown Reasons

Pepper's Ghost

Perhaps the downslope is where the force on certain components is greatest, hence the relatively frequent failures in that area.

My understanding of the doom buggies is that it's old-school, custom-machined mechanical technology. I wonder if something newer such as electrically-driven technology (like on Test Track) could be used to drive the buggies and provide reliable rotation when required. Obviously this would require a massive redesign and rebuild.

Or, a rebuild with Mystic Manor technology but with the best-loved effects of Haunted Mansion.

Bite your tongue! Please don't give 'em any ideas. Disney is famous for taking a great attraction and updating it so it sucks, or isn't nearly as good. HM is "fine" as is... or as it was about 20 years ago, anyway. Let's not make any more classics suck.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
When I worked there we had to evacuate once (I broke the E-Stop. Long funny story). Unfortunately none of us had been trained to evacuate. It was a bit of a mess (we were supposed to have 1 person in the water in waders. We had 3 just in costumes). The super (as always, showing up when everything is fixed) were like OMG. And then they realized we hadn't been actually trained fully. So we got evacuated trained... closing the barn door etc. :D
Yeaaaa we were never trained for that either. We were taught WHERE they were to be evacuated (nothing retained or was tested though). During my training, I got to test the waders for leaks. Spoiler, over half of them had to be replaced because they hadn't replaced them in YEARS. I was soaking all the way to my belly (but it was cool because now I can say I waded in Pirates of the Caribbean).

If there had to be an evacuation, absolutely none of the DCPs would have known what to do.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
We got evacuated from Pirates a few trips back and our boat was stuck right near the top of the drop.

They ended up pulling a rope over and latching the front of the boat, unloading the middle of the boat, then the front, and finally those of us in the back 2 rows.

As the boat approached the drop, a grinding noise came from under the boat which I’m assuming was metal catching on metal.

Was quite the experience!

View attachment 454624
Yes, the top of the ramp is an evacuation point. And technically so is the bottom of the ramp, but we were told it is never used because of safety concerns. That grinding noise you heard/felt is an e-brake (forgot the correct term) that is typically used to stop the boat if a STUPID KID ON THE FRONT ROW STARTS DOING THE FLOSS!!!! (True story.)

wdw71fan

Wait... sorry, just want to make sure I understand. So several doom buggies sustained damage at the exact same time, but the track itself wasn't damaged and didn't cause the damage? Am I understanding correctly? Is this confirmed somehow?

Hard to explain, but in short DB had a mechanical issue, it in turn caused several DBs to malfunction due to interaction with the the ride system (track).. Other DBs were involved but they were not damaged.. All of the DBs were inspected for signs of the initial problem that caused the issue.. no others were found.

Pepper's Ghost

Hard to explain, but in short DB had a mechanical issue, it in turn caused several DBs to malfunction due to interaction with the the ride system (track).. Other DBs were involved but they were not damaged.. All of the DBs were inspected for signs of the initial problem that caused the issue.. no others were found.

I see your logic. Couldn't it have been that the steel track that guides the Doom Buggy thing-a-ma-bob broke free completely leaving all following DBs to have nothing to properly turn them? Without knowing anything about the track system, it just makes more sense to me that something on the track broke free affecting all DBs, or damaging all following DBs, than for the track to be perfectly fine and the DBs all individually became damaged.

Honestly, if neither of us know factually, it makes the hypothetical conversation kind of pointless. :) I don't need to get the last word in though, so feel free to respond. 😁:cool:

Pepper's Ghost

Ok, that open door thing is insane. Was that really from today? Did they seriously forget to close the giant door in the attic OR did it just open automatically?

Does this many things normally go wrong we just don't notice it?

Great questions. I think sometimes we assume everything is higher tech than it is. I wonder if this is a weight balanced door that didn't latch and just retracted on its own, or with the help of Constance!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom