monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Disney-CEO-Bob-Chapek-and-Bob-Iger.jpg

So many meme possibilities....

gmajew

Premium Member
Fantastic

The modern juggernaut Disney is NOTHING without Eisner, Wells and Roy E.

One of the biggest failings of the last 20+ years of fan forums is that people don’t understand the foundation Iger inherited and where that came from prior.

I’m sorry...this is just not correct.

every company is built upon the people before it. Eisner would have nothing with out Walt....

i Never said Eisner was bad he was the right person at the right time for Disney. Then like all CEO he had his expiration date. In comes the next. And they either grow it, keep the status quo or take it to new heights.

Iger did the new heights through purchases and Grew the company more Then anyone since Walt.

I don’t think Iger was at his end date yet as he was still doing good for the company. Which is why I think Bob C job is to maintain the status quo as his tenure

rk03221

Fantastic

The modern juggernaut Disney is NOTHING without Eisner, Wells and Roy E.

One of the biggest failings of the last 20+ years of fan forums is that people don’t understand the foundation Iger inherited and where that came from prior.

I’m sorry...this is just not correct.

Eisner left Iger Hong Kong which I don’t think to this date hasn’t been profitable other than one year, a numerous amount of flops at the box office (I.e. home on the ranch), a terrible DCA, almost lost Pixar, etc.

DDLand

Iger is not jumping ship or cashing out. That is not the Iger way. Say what you will about the man, but he is obsessed with leaving the company in a good position. It is his life’s work. In many ways he is the company’s founder. The Walt Disney Company of old is gone, completely absorbed into Iger’s Disney. Iger’s Disney is a massive IP conglomerate that is looking less and less like Walt’s Disney. He created this thing, and it’s his legacy.

I’m pretty sure he wants to be known as one of the greatest CEOs ever. Whenever anyone mentions a great CEO, Bob Iger is going to have to enter to conversation. He was going to leave in the mid 2010s, but the business blew up. The media business started its decline. Iger was not going to be known as the CEO who broke Disney. So he tenaciously stayed on. He has now created a business that is so easy to run that an idiot could do it. Someday, in the not-so-distant future, Disney+ will have 100s of millions of subscribers paying $20 a month making 10s of billions annually. Hulu and ESPN will likewise be giants in their own right. All Iger’s successor has to do is:
1) Keep the price low for in order to get as many subscribers as possible
2) After reaching a solid base of 150-200 million subscribers, begin raising prices slowly
3) Profit!

This is a guaranteed route to consistent incremental growth in revenue and profit. The path to growth is clear and as compelling. What’s more, this strategy could potentially last decades. Steve Jobs created iPhone. Bob Iger, he hopes, will be remembered for creating Disney+. Couple that with a newly revived Paris parks complex and high margin cruise ships and you have a nearly stupidly simple path to success. Tim Cook didn’t build modern Apple, he’s just sort of made sure the place doesn’t blow up. Bob Chapek doesn’t need to be a genius or a creative, he just needs to keep the company moving forward.

Iger’s whole legacy hinges on this. There are only a few more things left to accomplish before he leaves.
1) He mentioned focusing on creating content in his new role. I think he’s going to focus on getting all of the studios fully transitioned for their next phases. He wants each studio to have its own Lassiter or Feige before he resigns. Marvel is obviously already in good shape. Walt Disney Animation and Pixar both recently received new leaders and are doing well. That leaves 20th Century and Lucasfilm. I think this is where his primary effort will be. Both those studios have been struggling and their leadership needs a restructure. Iger will reorganize the units and spend time ensuring their long term success.
2) I wouldn’t be shocked if he works on the park’s vision for the next decade. Disneyland Mumbai or a new China park would be a good last move.
3) I feel like the successful launch of Indiana Jones is probably a high priority.

Chapek’s job is to simply leverage Disney+ like Tim had to figure out how to leverage iPhone. Chapek mentioned collecting tons of data from Disney+. That seems attractive. The goal is to make Disney+ essentially a utility. Disney will be able to make content based off the most popular content on their platforms ensuring success and consistent subscribers.

The future is bright for the stock! Yet, I also find this entire thing deeply uninspiring. Iger has managed to turn media into a utility. Remarkable.

Last edited:

IanDLBZF

Eisner left Iger Hong Kong which I don’t think to this date hasn’t been profitable other than one year, a numerous amount of flops at the box office (I.e. home on the ranch), a terrible DCA, almost lost Pixar, etc.
Plus he started Epcot's fall, and ruined Animal Kingdom.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Iger is not jumping ship or cashing out. That is not the Iger way. Say what you will about the man, but he is obsessed with leaving the company in a good position. It is his life’s work. In many ways he is the company’s founder. The Walt Disney Company of old is gone, completely absorbed into Iger’s Disney. Iger’s Disney is a massive IP conglomerate that is looking less and less like Walt’s Disney. He created this thing, and it’s his legacy.

I’m pretty sure he wants to be known as one of the greatest CEOs ever. Whenever anyone mentions a great CEO, Bob Iger is going to have to enter to conversation. He was going to leave in the mid 2010s, but the business blew up. The media business started its decline. Iger was not going to be known as the CEO who broke Disney. So he tenaciously stayed on. He has now created a business that is so easy to run that an idiot could do it. Someday, in the not-so-distant future, Disney+ will have 100s of millions of subscribers paying $20 a month making 10s of billions annually. Hulu and ESPN will likewise be giants in their own right. All Iger’s successor has to do is:
1) Keep the price low for a to get as many subscribers as possible
2) After reaching a solid base of 150-200 million subscribers, begin raising prices slowly
3) Profit!

This is a guaranteed route to consistent incremental growth in revenue and profit. The path to growth is clear and as compelling. What’s more, this strategy could potentially last decades. Steve Jobs created iPhone. Bob Iger, he hopes, will be remembered for creating Disney+. Couple that with a newly revived Paris parks complex and high margin cruise ships and you have a nearly stupidly simple path to success. Tim Cook didn’t build modern Apple, he’s just sort of made sure the place doesn’t blow up. Bob Chapek doesn’t need to be a genius or a creative, he just needs to keep the company moving forward.

Iger’s whole legacy hinges on this. There are only a few more things left to accomplish before he leaves.
1) He mentioned focusing on creating content in his new role. I think he’s going to focus on getting all of the studios fully transitioned for their next phases. He wants each studio to have its own Lassiter or Feige before resigns. Marvel is obviously already in good shape. Walt Disney Animation and Pixar both recently received new leaders and are doing well. That leaves 20th Century and Lucasfilm. I think this is where his primary will be. Both those studios have been struggling and their leadership needs a restructure. Iger will reorganize the units and spend time ensuring their long term success.
2) I wouldn’t be shocked if he works on the park’s vision for the next decade. Disneyland Mumbai or a new China park would be a good last move.
3) I feel like the successful launch of Indiana Jones is probably a high priority.

Chapek’s job is to simply leverage Disney+ like Tim had to figure out how to leverage iPhone. Chapek mentioned collecting tons of data from Disney+. That seems attractive. The goal is to make Disney+ essentially a utility. Disney will be able to make content based off the most popular content on their platforms ensuring success and consistent subscribers.

The future is bright for the stock! Yet, I also find this entire thing deeply uninspiring. Iger has managed to turn media into a utility. Remarkable.
This is satire, right?

Genie_naughty_whispers

That's your opinion and you're welcome to hold it.

However, CM got good ratings from the audience, even better from critics and made $1.1 Billion at the Box Office. CM2 is going to happen.

All movies are subjective, but Big box office numbers does not necessarily correlate to a movie being good. I mean look at some of the fast and furious movies. Fun movies but not necessarily good.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s the bad ending...

The foundation is the sad state they took over with in 1984 and what they managed to build by 1995.

They took a rather “small potatoes” cartoon studio and grew it into what would became an international powerhouse.

History is fluid...you can’t cherrypick from the whole picture.

rreading

Iger has done a good job as a CEO. So has Cook. Neither are what I’d call creatives (with the accompanying volatility). A good number crunching CEO can purchase IP. Pixar was a no brainer, the marriage of which would have happened years prior but for the way Jobs/Eisner butted heads. Because, again, those two are much more comparable. Buying Lucasfilm was pretty logical, but not creative. And while yes, the money is finally flowing to repair the fact that Iger let the parks stagnate, the reinvestment is finally on par with pre-Iger levels after over a decade of languishing. So, no, your analogy is still way off in comparing Iger to Jobs.

And, I’d say we’re off topic, but the point being that Iger was not what I’d call a creative CEO and now he’s head of creativity over Chapek. That scares me. To find a more apt analogy, Iger is the Wells of the Eisner/Wells combo and for his tenure we needed his Eisner counterpart, which never came to much of our disappointment. I think there was hope Lasseter would be that, but we know how that went. Chapek strikes me as the worst parts of Iger if you like the parks. The optimist in me hopes he’s been a yes man and we’ll all be pleasantly surprised when he gets to make the decisions, but I don’t see any reason for optimism based on what we saw at D23 from him.
Fair enough. I’ll continue to disagree, but I’m young enough to not have really paid attention during the Eisner/Wells period so I suppose I lack some perspective. I appreciate your perspective either way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

1) Keep the price low for in order to get as many subscribers as possible
3) Profit!

1) He mentioned focusing on creating content in his new role. I think he’s going to focus on getting all of the studios fully transitioned for their next phases. He wants each studio to have its own Lassiter or Feige before he resigns. Marvel is obviously already in good shape. Walt Disney Animation and Pixar both recently received new leaders and are doing well. That leaves 20th Century and Lucasfilm. I think this is where his primary effort will be. Both those studios have been struggling and their leadership needs a restructure. Iger will reorganize the units and spend time ensuring their long term success.

Well...it looks like you’ve been prepping this for along time...well done.

I also loved you on 20/20, Willow 😉

peng

I have the feeling that Chapek is being set up as the fall guy when the Coronavirus hits or the other shoe is dropped. It is too late for Iger to do a run for the presidency (he'll probably attempt to run in 2024), but I do think Marvel has peaked and it is about time to get to the decline phase of the Iger Disney era. The 2020s will be rocky, but the company has been creatively stale and needed this for a while.

UNCgolf

That's your opinion and you're welcome to hold it.

However, CM got good ratings from the audience, even better from critics and made $1.1 Billion at the Box Office. CM2 is going to happen.

Captain Marvel actually wasn't highly reviewed by critics. It's one of the worst reviewed Marvel movies with a 64 on Metacritic (only better than the Incredible Hulk, the first two Thor movies, and the second and third Iron Man movies) and a 78 on Rotten Tomatoes (only better than the first two Thors, Incredible Hulk, Age of Ultron, and Iron Man 2).

I personally thought it was fine -- not great, but not terrible. Middle of the road among the MCU.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom