News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

donaldtoo

A9824C5F-74F8-4702-A452-A8A86CEAC30C.jpeg

Sorry, couldn’t resist just one more... :cyclops:;)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But the company is better off now than it was 15 years ago. Eisner was absolutely wrong about Iger.

I would mostly agree on the basis of experience and certainly interview skills but here we are. Iger convinced the board that a parks guy would be the best for the job, otherwise Chapek wouldn't be there. It might take awhile for us to see what the board sees.

1. Iger has had a good tenure...but that has nothing to do with Eisner’s labeling him a suit or questioning his creativity. Bob isn’t the same type.

2. That’s a huge assumption. We have no idea what the opinion of chapek by “the board” is? This arrangement is weird and at least raises questions?

Being an internal Disney employee doesn’t really equate with the size they are now...the street would want someone with broader experience. And chapek is a T-shirt salesman...plain and simple. He’s neither a big money guy nor creative.

This is like if Eisner appointed pressler in 2002. Let that sink in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He ran the parks like merchandise outlets.

Indeed...and Disney 101 (for anyone who spent 10 seconds in a business unit) says:

The parks sell the stuff...not the other way around. And the IP is what creates the brand pull at home and at amc...and creates the draw to the parks...not the other way around.

The next lesson is: don’t overprice till your audience hates you...there’s no raft back across the rubicon in the other direction.

orky8

Meh. Iger took Disney as it was, and added Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel and (fwiw) Fox to its portfolio.

In the parks, he supported: the rebirth of DCA before they started monkeying with it again; repurchasing and starting expansion/renovation of DL Paris; creating Disneyland Shanghai (which ultimately should be great); and has greenlit quite a few WDW projects.

Be as skeptical as you want about stock price, but it does reflect the value of the company. It had been ~$26 for years and recently $150 in a <10 year period. He took a floundering company with a remarkable history and turned it into the entertainment powerhouse in the world. Without hyperbole. Give the man some credit. Jobs was a true once in a lifetime visionary, but Iger has done an amazing job for the company as CEO. Objectively speaking
Iger has done a good job as a CEO. So has Cook. Neither are what I’d call creatives (with the accompanying volatility). A good number crunching CEO can purchase IP. Pixar was a no brainer, the marriage of which would have happened years prior but for the way Jobs/Eisner butted heads. Because, again, those two are much more comparable. Buying Lucasfilm was pretty logical, but not creative. And while yes, the money is finally flowing to repair the fact that Iger let the parks stagnate, the reinvestment is finally on par with pre-Iger levels after over a decade of languishing. So, no, your analogy is still way off in comparing Iger to Jobs.

And, I’d say we’re off topic, but the point being that Iger was not what I’d call a creative CEO and now he’s head of creativity over Chapek. That scares me. To find a more apt analogy, Iger is the Wells of the Eisner/Wells combo and for his tenure we needed his Eisner counterpart, which never came to much of our disappointment. I think there was hope Lasseter would be that, but we know how that went. Chapek strikes me as the worst parts of Iger if you like the parks. The optimist in me hopes he’s been a yes man and we’ll all be pleasantly surprised when he gets to make the decisions, but I don’t see any reason for optimism based on what we saw at D23 from him.

gmajew

Premium Member
Iger was an incredible CEO that did a ton for the company and took it to new heights. Yes through purchases but no matter how you cut it he transformed Disney into a Huge beast of a business. Open a new park in China the list goes on and on. Him stepping down is a huge lost... in My opinion he was the best since Walt for the business.

as far as the new CEO I don’t know what to think. He ran parks and people hate him but is it all on him? the labor market has a lot to do with the decrease in quality of the front line workers.

When the market is as good as it has ever been and people cannot fill spots you take a lesson level employee and try to make them great. Issue is the bottom of the barrel people looking for jobs today.... more the reason for front line decrease then anything else.

so fingers crossed this works out but I would think this tenure won’t be taking on big changes and growth. Will be asked more to keep the ship steady and slowly grow with what we have.

rk03221

I see a lot of people on these forums trash Iger and talk about the parks “deteriorating”. Iger was a really good CEO, he saved the company from the mess Eisner left behind. Saved Pixar, revamped DCA, opened Shanghai, brought us Disney+ and approved revamping wdw+Disneyland Paris. I’m going to tell everyone here a little secret as a former CM at WDW-DW is the cash cow of all the parks in the world, it doesn’t matter how deteriorated it is or how much the quality has gone down because people still keep going back. Just like the people on this sub who complain about it all the time-they just keep going back. Also first time visitors and internationals is wdw main demographic and the reason why ticket prices keep going up and the crowds keep getting bigger. Its probably not what you want to hear but it’s a fact. So it’s not going to matter who the next ceo is, wdw will always be getting overlooked unless the crowd levels dip significantly and money is being lost

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger has done a good job as a CEO. So has Cook. Neither are what I’d call creatives (with the accompanying volatility). A good number crunching CEO can purchase IP. Pixar was a no brainer, the marriage of which would have happened years prior but for the way Jobs/Eisner butted heads. Because, again, those two are much more comparable. Buying Lucasfilm was pretty logical, but not creative. And while yes, the money is finally flowing to repair the fact that Iger let the parks stagnate, the reinvestment is finally on par with pre-Iger levels after over a decade of languishing. So, no, your analogy is still way off in comparing Iger to Jobs.

And, I’d say we’re off topic, but the point being that Iger was not what I’d call a creative CEO and now he’s head of creativity over Chapek. That scares me. To find a more apt analogy, Iger is the Wells of the Eisner/Wells combo and for his tenure we needed his Eisner counterpart, which never came to much of our disappointment. I think there was hope Lasseter would be that, but we know how that went. Chapek strikes me as the worst parts of Iger if you like the parks. The optimist in me hopes he’s been a yes man and we’ll all be pleasantly surprised when he gets to make the decisions, but I don’t see any reason for optimism based on what we saw at D23 from him.
Fantastic
Iger was an incredible CEO that did a ton for the company and took it to new heights. Yes through purchases but no matter how you cut it he transformed Disney into a Huge beast of a business. Open a new park in China the list goes on and on. Him stepping down is a huge lost... in My opinion he was the best since Walt for the business.

as far as the new CEO I don’t know what to think. He ran parks and people hate him but is it all on him? the labor market has a lot to do with the decrease in quality of the front line workers.

When the market is as good as it has ever been and people cannot fill spots you take a lesson level employee and try to make them great. Issue is the bottom of the barrel people looking for jobs today.... more the reason for front line decrease then anything else.

so fingers crossed this works out but I would think this tenure won’t be taking on big changes and growth. Will be asked more to keep the ship steady and slowly grow with what we have.
The modern juggernaut Disney is NOTHING without Eisner, Wells and Roy E.

One of the biggest failings of the last 20+ years of fan forums is that people don’t understand the foundation Iger inherited and where that came from prior.

I’m sorry...this is just not correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom