News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

WDW862

In other news the SSE closure date was just buried announced.

AoMf3OSqyXFqFD26WmlFznXWmwOV1WZHOz6RSZ3PLn4.jpg

BigYikesFromMeDawg

I don't have a solid answer yet. I'm working every contact I have, but this took many people completely by surprise. I mean, let me run through some of the ramifications:

1) The coronavirus pandemic is shutting down huge sources of revenue for Disney and can potentially increase exponentially. This is one of the most dangerous times for the company, certainly the most dangerous since 9/11 and could end up being worse.
2) Lucasfilm is moving into dangerous territory for profitability and Chapek does not have the acumen or the gravitas to remove Kathleen Kennedy... Iger did.
3) Fox movies inherited into the Disney company have been almost universally losses and look to continue damaging the company's bottom line. And given that these properties are generating losses, that indicates systemic issues in those studios.
4) Chapek is simply not viewed as anywhere near competent to run a company of this scale. Chapek couldn't run the Parks division and has a shoddy track record. With this sudden announcement out of nowhere in the most volatile time period the company has faced in decades, the stock price could take a huge hit tomorrow morning.
5) There is fear Iger wanted to "lock in" now, suddenly and abruptly.
6) Marvel's future is not as strong as it was leading up to Endgame. The future slate of movies is not viewed within the company and the industry as being strong, and there is significant push to get X-Men up and running... but so far that's not moving as quickly as many would like. Iger was able to form a great partnership with Feige in making Marvel a huge success - Chapek does not have that relationship, and will likely get run over.

As soon as I get more info I'll pass it along. As of now, all I am hearing is that a) there is more to the story, b) this was not planned as of a relatively short time ago, and c) politics are in play here. I don't know what those mean yet.
Oh thank God. Iger was one of the worst things to happen to Disney. He has ruined a good bit in the past decade. Also people are forgetting that a whistleblower exposed that Disney was cooking the books and they are being investigated by the SEC right now. It's been hushed up. There was a brief announcement in the news a few months back about the whistleblower and then it got all hushed up--as usual. I saw an article about the investigation going on now just a few days ago. Methinks Iger's in trouble and he knows it and thinks he can get away.
Bob Iger was bad Chapek is Iger 2 though. Anything Iger did will be continued. Including mass IP anywhere possible in parks.

deWild

Rather than read into every thread - why all the hate for Chapek? Can someone explain it to me? I truly don’t know everything as to why so many are worried with his promotion.

SteamboatJoe

I don't have a solid answer yet. I'm working every contact I have, but this took many people completely by surprise. I mean, let me run through some of the ramifications:

1) The coronavirus pandemic is shutting down huge sources of revenue for Disney and can potentially increase exponentially. This is one of the most dangerous times for the company, certainly the most dangerous since 9/11 and could end up being worse.
2) Lucasfilm is moving into dangerous territory for profitability and Chapek does not have the acumen or the gravitas to remove Kathleen Kennedy... Iger did.
3) Fox movies inherited into the Disney company have been almost universally losses and look to continue damaging the company's bottom line. And given that these properties are generating losses, that indicates systemic issues in those studios.
4) Chapek is simply not viewed as anywhere near competent to run a company of this scale. Chapek couldn't run the Parks division and has a shoddy track record. With this sudden announcement out of nowhere in the most volatile time period the company has faced in decades, the stock price could take a huge hit tomorrow morning.
5) There is fear Iger wanted to "lock in" now, suddenly and abruptly.
6) Marvel's future is not as strong as it was leading up to Endgame. The future slate of movies is not viewed within the company and the industry as being strong, and there is significant push to get X-Men up and running... but so far that's not moving as quickly as many would like. Iger was able to form a great partnership with Feige in making Marvel a huge success - Chapek does not have that relationship, and will likely get run over.

As soon as I get more info I'll pass it along. As of now, all I am hearing is that a) there is more to the story, b) this was not planned as of a relatively short time ago, and c) politics are in play here. I don't know what those mean yet.
Tin foil hat theory to contemplate because why not...Iger was feeling pressure and put Chapek in place to be the fall guy when things start to go downhill because of the items you listed. Perhaps an elaborate way to get Chapek, who shareholders not in the know incorrectly see as a success, out of the company without having to fire him directly. Give him his own rope.

yeti

This is weirdly good for Parks. I think everyone is seriously overlooking that. A CEO that came from Parks, and knows their profitability will give resources to Parks. A person that is really intense about quarter over quarter gains, and was bad operationally, is going to have less of an impact from higher up the corporate ladder. Plus, this gives the opportunity for someone with actual parks opportunity to fill into DPEP. As for who fills that role, Colglaizer and Potrock come to mind as people that seem to be in a good position to fill the role.

I'm wondering whether his new distance from the parks will have him less closely connected to where those resources are allocated. That would be the best case scenario. Worst case...well I think I better ride the likes of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Splash Mountain, Spaceship Earth, and possibly Tower of Terror while I still can, because "give resources to the parks" isn't necessarily a good thing (historically Chapek was more into over-budgeted replacements than new builds). Either way you're right, I think we'll see more parks investment than we did under Iger.

My pick for DPEP is Josh D'Amaro.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom