The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member

MySmallWorldof4

Sorry I've not done any near you but a short list I've been to in recent years includes but not limited to Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Edison's Labs, Washington's Morristown's Headquaters, Hudson river valley mansion tours including Hyde Park. You'd be surprised what the Park Service handles edit Sandy Hook love the free parking
Been to all of those. Forgot I have been to Gettysburg too.

Disney Analyst

Why do you call them Monkey puzzle trees? Is there a reason? I've heard of "monkey trees" but I guess I always just assumed it was because they were trees Monkey's like to sit in because of the way the branches are. But I've never heard "Monkey Puzzle tree".

Good question. I’ve never looked into it before! Found this story:

“The popular name we have for the tree dates from the indelible waggery of some Big House wit who pricked his fingers after the tree reached England in 1795: "Twould puzzle a monkey to climb that tree, by George!". It was first grown from seed brought by Archibald Menzies, who pocketed the "nuts" served at dinner by the governor of Chile.

Songbird76

Rule one of grocery shopping never ever and I mean NEVER trust the front of any package;)
Is rule #2 not to take your husband to the grocery store with you? I needed the frying pan yesterday. "Why are you buying that?" "Why don't you buy this other thing instead?" "But you already have some of that at home." "Can't you just....?" "You don't need that.":banghead::banghead::banghead: Second guessing every single thing. I finally looked at him and said "Or you could just let me do it the way I do it!"

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Does everyone know that the US National Parks have a special program for 4th graders?

T showed me a paper, yesterday, that his teacher gave him. Free National Parks pass and where to go to ‘plan your trip’. Along with directions for 2 reports.. one with a State and Park you want to travel to, why, and basically plan the trip. The other a paper on one you’ve already traveled to.

He clicked on every State (and Guam), and every picture that he found interesting, then read the info.

I don’t know if we’ll make it to South Dakota, Arizona, or Colorado this year... but he’s really excited about the project and has now added several more “must do’s” to our list. 😂

We went to Indiana National Seashore last year, and we’ve hiked some of the Appalachian Trail.. I told him to find some more that can be simple road trips, not weeklong vacations.. and we’ll try to hit a few then he can choose which one to write about as personally experience. That project is due the first day of 5th grade.

One of the members on the boards here did a trip report, last year maybe, about their visits to the National Parks with their 4th grader, seems like a cool program.

The project T has to do seems interesting, I like the planning a trip part. But I’m confused, so part of the project is that you travel to a National Park? Is that mandatory? Seems unfair and a financial burden to some families. What if they can’t travel to a National Park?

Songbird76

We always just called it sight singing honestly. But violin clef? Really? I played violin in middle and high school and we never called it that. Sometimes we lazily called C clef the viola clef since viola is one of the few instruments to use it, but good grief.
Well, my husband did some looking and found something called a French Violin Clef, which looks exactly like the Treble clef, but circles the bottom line of the staff, rather than the G. But, I had never heard of it and I don't know of a single use for it. I don't understand the purpose of it...why not just use the Treble clef. But that's the only thing we can think of....what's weird though is that the description, at least on the page DH found, says it's exactly like the treble clef except circling e instead of g. So it literally says it's NOT a treble clef, that it's different. So if that is indeed what the teacher found, he didn't read.

Songbird76

Does everyone know that the US National Parks have a special program for 4th graders?

T showed me a paper, yesterday, that his teacher gave him. Free National Parks pass and where to go to ‘plan your trip’. Along with directions for 2 reports.. one with a State and Park you want to travel to, why, and basically plan the trip. The other a paper on one you’ve already traveled to.

He clicked on every State (and Guam), and every picture that he found interesting, then read the info.

I don’t know if we’ll make it to South Dakota, Arizona, or Colorado this year... but he’s really excited about the project and has now added several more “must do’s” to our list. 😂

We went to Indiana National Seashore last year, and we’ve hiked some of the Appalachian Trail.. I told him to find some more that can be simple road trips, not weeklong vacations.. and we’ll try to hit a few then he can choose which one to write about as personally experience. That project is due the first day of 5th grade.
I knew about this from another forum member who went to Yellowstone. You can also buy a pass good for one year that lets you into most national parks. I think it costs $80, but if you go to a few parks in that year, it's worth it. It lets in everyone in your car. Does the 4th grade pass let in the whole family? Anyway, if you plan to visit some parks, but you can't fit them all in in one year, you can buy a pass for another year. I'm planning to get one when we do our big Wyoming trip and I am trying to convince my husband we should drive from Wyoming to California and visit Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, etc and spend a couple of days at Disneyland. But the pass would get us into Yellowstone, Yosemite, and the grand canyon, Zion national park, etc. If we take a few weeks we could really make the pass worth the cost, and I SO want to see Disneyland!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I knew about this from another forum member who went to Yellowstone. You can also buy a pass good for one year that lets you into most national parks. I think it costs $80, but if you go to a few parks in that year, it's worth it. It lets in everyone in your car. Does the 4th grade pass let in the whole family? Anyway, if you plan to visit some parks, but you can't fit them all in in one year, you can buy a pass for another year. I'm planning to get one when we do our big Wyoming trip and I am trying to convince my husband we should drive from Wyoming to California and visit Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, etc and spend a couple of days at Disneyland. But the pass would get us into Yellowstone, Yosemite, and the grand canyon, Zion national park, etc. If we take a few weeks we could really make the pass worth the cost, and I SO want to see Disneyland!!

We drove from Yellowstone to Yosemite and a whole bunch of places in one trip . And Disneyland! Fun trip. Well actually we started driving from Wisconsin. 😀

Songbird76

So the cheer drama continues. A parent spread a rumor that a coach at the gym (she was in charge of cheer until she took herself out cause of all the drama), that she went in a rage and took down cheer banners and the kids pictures and dumped them in the dumpster. I couldn’t believe this. For a few minutes I thought she had gone off her rocker and I am friendly with her. I consider her a friend actually. So dh and I drove to the gym yesterday and lo and behold the rumor was a lie. This coach was there and I spoke with her and told her the whole story. She was in shock. Also found out that some current families helped fund the new gym. These are parents who started the rumor and also solicited families. I am asking this question of you. Do you not think that these parents will have influence on the coaches as to team placement and positions of kids? I think they will. I cannot put my kid in that environment. The current gym is done with cheer for at least a year. I asked this coach to give me other gyms to consider. Why are they all 40 miles away?
Wait, what happened to the one that the other girl went to where they have special flyer training and there was no drama? Did she not like that one when you went to watch?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom