Who should be excluded to help with the overcrowding problem.

JIMINYCR

Fire the Imagineers, stop building attractions that attract guests. If Disney replaces/ starts filling the parks with crappy attractions, no one will want to come. Crowding issue solved.
Restrict all FL residents to months other than June, July and August. They are used to the heat and humidity anyway.
Rationing has worked throughout history when needed. Resort guests go on a rationing system of park hours that rotates each day. Deluxe guests get 9am-noon. Moderate Noon - 3. Value 3pm - 6pm. All non resort guests 6pm - 9pm.
Or Disney could extend hours, stop building in rooms that fill up the parks, and open enough attractions to handle the number of guests entering the parks.

SteveAZee

I would think that Disney would want to exclude those who generate the least amount of profit. With MDE they probably have some insight as to who's not buying high margin products (alcohol, food, merch) but paying the least amount possible to get into the parks themselves. If they find a pattern, they'll probably figure out a way to 'exclude' them. To me, I would think that suggests Orlando area annual passholders, but that's just a guess.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It seems like 2 of the top issues discussed on these forums is cost and overcrowding. I am legitimately interested in how WDW would combat the latter.

It is being combatted by the former. Cost increases are the only real tool to drive down attendance short of limiting ticket sales. So, you're excluding the poors.

Right now, twice the number of people show up to MK than it was designed for. So the solution is to double MK's capacity, right? Well...

1. MK becomes more expensive to run, so, prices will go way up.​
2. Twice what MK already has?! Oh man! Can't miss that!!!... Which means as MK's capacity doubles, attendance will triple. New attractions attract. That's why they're called 'attractions.'​
More "people eaters" is often suggested as a solution, but they only work if you're talking big theaters. A new ride only takes a few hundred people at a time out of circulation in the park. New rides mean more time riding, but not less people in the park, especially if, because they're new, attract many hundreds more people to the park.​

Disney parks, and MK/DL especially, are victims of their success. Everyone wants to go. Right now cost, and the unpleasantness that comes from overcrowding, keeps MK/DL from getting a hundred times more guests than they currently do. Imagine what crowds would be like if it was only $20 a day to go (which local APs have figured out that's what they can get if they go regularly).

Resorts that have lesser attended parks (DCA, DAK, e.g.,) can put new attractors in those parks to pull people out of the more crowded parks (DL/MK). But they'll eventually become as way-overcrowded.

So, it's rising costs (with discounts to push people from peak times to off-peak), or, it's a limit on ticket sales and everyone has to schedule their attendance at the parks. Then those who are excluded are still the poors and also those who can't plan their Disney time a year in a advance.

TrainsOfDisney

Right now, twice the number of people show up to MK than it was designed for. So the solution is to double MK's capacity, right? Well...

In reality... they should be. Magic Kingdom needs theatre shows, the Main Street theatre would have helped so much.

They need to be adding minor attractions like the baymax flat ride, a Casey jr. train, more basic dark rides.

Way more entertainment like the muppets.

Imagineering could do some wonderful things if they were allowed to... look at Tokyo.

Instead we have closed attractions, closed restaurants, and missing entertainment.

Disstevefan1

It seems like 2 of the top issues discussed on these forums is cost and overcrowding. I am legitimately interested in how WDW would combat the latter. If capacity is not improved (which it seems like it won't to the point where it would be beneficial) then the only other option to the overcrowding issue is having less people in the parks.
So my question is, who has to stay away or go to another park so that people who do not like the crowds can have a better time?

-Is it the loud tour groups who have been accused of unruly behavior?
-Is it passholders and other "vacation warriors" who try to ride as many attractions as possible without spending much on food or souvenirs (hey I used to be one) ?
-Is it families (like mine now) that enjoy fastpass+ that wander around the parks enjoying the atmosphere and riding what they can and not sweating what they can't.
-Is it time to limit locals (that spend $$$ on food and alcohol) like Disneyland does?

I myself enjoyed the late 90's and early 00's where EPCOT and MGM would be so empty at near closing/magic hours that you could walk around like you own the place.
But I also now don't despise the crowds- I believe everyone else has as much a right to enjoy the parks as me so it is difficult to imagine trying to price out or limit certain people because I have some right to enjoy the parks more than others (again assuming I'm not in one of the excluded groups).
*steps off soapbox now*

Simply keep raising prices faster than income like they are doing, that should work eventually.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm guessing OUAT = Once Upon A Time?
.........and I don't have a guess for HEA o_O

Time to bookmark...

:D

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Oh, I can think of quite a few groups I'd like to exclude:
- The rude
- The entitled
- The whiners
- People with poor hygiene
- The loud and obnoxious
And just as a bonus:
People with Universal t-shirts, specially those Thing 1, 2, 3, etc!
giphy (1).gif

Ckelly14

I agree with the previous poster that Disney has essentially produced this issue all by themselves.

We know they have decreased park hours. We know they have decreased throughput on some rides on purpose.

Attendance is flat for the last 5 years. It just feels significantly more crowded because of what Disney has done to cut corners....

disney attendance.jpg

hsisthebest

Original Poster
My wife and I just returned from a short trip 2/10-2/13. We were surprised at the crowd levels being so high for this time of year. Our thought for going at this time was that the crowd levels would be lower due to schools not being on any breaks. Yet, the parks were very busy. We used to go with our kids at Fall Break in October. Crowd levels were decent, but throughout the years October has become very busy. Today from home I looked at the wait times and they were outrageous. 150 minutes for Space Mountain, 120 minutes for Peter Pan, 60 minutes for Buzz. Those times are awful. We spoke to a family who had made the mistake of going at Spring break last year. They said the crowd levels were such it made riding rides very difficult...waiting in extremely long lines. The more lodging capacity that is added, the more people. There also seemed to be a lot of tour groups such as cheer and other competitions going on. Fortunately, we did pay extra for the MK After Hours. It cleared a ton of people out. Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride had a wait of 10-15 minutes. Walking into Tomorrow Land was great...there was no one there. At the end of the day, it's miserable to go to a park and wait enormous wait times. I'm not sure if it's due to the FastPass system or if they are a victim of their own success. They need to figure something out though.
Yeah , I used to pull my kids out of school for the "light" winter crowds. That ship has sailed.

RobWDW1971

Do what every other business does (sports stadiums, concerts, hotels, airlines, etc.) - limit the attendance to ensure those attending have an optimal experience and raise prices as high as you can and still get the desired attendance.

What Disney has managed to do (and in a perverse way you have to respect it) is to allow so many people in that nobody has a quality experience AND raise prices. The fact they don't limit the attendance tells you how much they care about the guest experience.

And the sheep keep on grazin'.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom