Who should be excluded to help with the overcrowding problem.

willsdad01

My wife and I just returned from a short trip 2/10-2/13. We were surprised at the crowd levels being so high for this time of year. Our thought for going at this time was that the crowd levels would be lower due to schools not being on any breaks. Yet, the parks were very busy. We used to go with our kids at Fall Break in October. Crowd levels were decent, but throughout the years October has become very busy. Today from home I looked at the wait times and they were outrageous. 150 minutes for Space Mountain, 120 minutes for Peter Pan, 60 minutes for Buzz. Those times are awful. We spoke to a family who had made the mistake of going at Spring break last year. They said the crowd levels were such it made riding rides very difficult...waiting in extremely long lines. The more lodging capacity that is added, the more people. There also seemed to be a lot of tour groups such as cheer and other competitions going on. Fortunately, we did pay extra for the MK After Hours. It cleared a ton of people out. Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride had a wait of 10-15 minutes. Walking into Tomorrow Land was great...there was no one there. At the end of the day, it's miserable to go to a park and wait enormous wait times. I'm not sure if it's due to the FastPass system or if they are a victim of their own success. They need to figure something out though.

KTK

You can't ban certain people or groups. Three things that are driving attendance are hype over new rides (that have been well received by fans), unprecedented success at the the box office, and the economy. Disney sells itself very well. Also when the economy is doing well, people will spend money. The best way to lower attendance......start a recession, or at least fake one.

donaldtoo

DBF38804-6817-4205-98D1-B8BA46931ABB.gif

Gringrinngghost

-Is it the loud tour groups who have been accused of unruly behavior?
They already do have the power to remove them from the park and ride queues and actively do so.
-Is it passholders and other "vacation warriors" who try to ride as many attractions as possible without spending much on food or souvenirs (hey I used to be one)
Most Passholders just go to ride attractions, and Disney makes plenty off them. The other side of the coin, the vacation warriors that have to ride everything is because they feel obligated to at the current pricing, and for majority it’s multiple years of savings so even domestically Disney is becoming for the bottom 60% a once in a lifetime thing.

-Is it families (like mine now) that enjoy fastpass+ that wander around the parks enjoying the atmosphere and riding what they can and not sweating what they can't.
That’s actually the plan, like with the boarding passes, the artificial scarcity is meant to ensure you spend more time walking around the park and that increases the likelihood of you purchasing merchandise.

-Is it time to limit locals (that spend $$$ on food and alcohol) like Disneyland does?
They won’t, because they make more money on alcohol than food purchases across the board in-park and at events like Food and Wine, alcohol is the number one seller. Same with all the other Orlando parks. They can clear more money from Alcohol then standard food service easily.

Now a magical idea would to actually reduce the given capacity of the park itself across the board. Look at Not-so-scary, the party pass made them see an attendance increase of about 20%, just due to the pass. The secondary factor is of course pricing, they’ve made themselves so expensive that there isn’t a busy and dead season anymore. It’s just a season, because while some we’re able to afford the Magic Kingdom when it was $129 a day during Christmas a few years ago, they can’t afford the now $159 dollars during the same time frame. Now they are spread out though out the year. Remember, 2005, it was $59.75 during the holidays whereas now it’s $159 during the same time frame.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's probably time to start limiting the off-site guests.
  • Cut reserved FPs to 1 per day unless you're staying on property.
  • Charge day visitors a resort fee on top of their ticket media just for driving on the roads and visiting resorts.
  • Collect an off-site guest surcharge at all the restaurants and CS venues.
  • Implement phased closings when capacity hits 60% of max.

IanDLBZF

• Charge day visitors a resort fee on top of their ticket media just for driving on the roads and visiting resorts.
That sounds harsh.

Does anyone know Disney's Standard Operating Procedure for Phased Closings (happens quite a lot during Christmas and every single New Year's Eve)?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It's probably time to start limiting the off-site guests.
  • Cut reserved FPs to 1 per day unless you're staying on property.

hahahahahahahahah.

CaptainAmerica

Night parades occupy people for extended periods of time. Wanna guess when one of the best times was to do a top tier attraction?

Disney can handle the crowd control. They did for many years. They just choose not to any longer.
I disagree, having only 1 major nighttime offering is causing the crowding. Previously there were 2 night parades and 1 fireworks show which helped to spread out the crowds considerably.

The best crowd control I’ve ever seen was during the 60th of Disneyland which saw insane crowds and yet they were evenly distributed with 2 showings of paint the night, 2 showings of Fantasmic, and 1 of Disneyland Forever.
Disneyland has a looooong pedestrian egress for people to get back to their vehicles and hotels. The Magic Kingdom dumps everyone at a ferry dock and a monorail station.

Goofyernmost

Kids!!! Has anyone noticed how many little ankle biters are running around the park taking up space with their balloons, strollers and joyful demeanor? If they were not allowed there would be more room then needed along with a more serious attitude that an adult only venue would produce. Or maybe, as a society we could outlaw credit cards and all you would be greeted with inside the gates, if you had the cash, would be the melodic sounds of Jiminy's Crickets. Heaven!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom