The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Separately, and more importantly than the Y, here’s my weekly episode of
@21stamps Sports Drama

My kid has decided that he must join the track team.
He loves doing hurdles and is constantly stacking throw pillows, boxes, whatever he can find to run and jump over. He also likes to run.. all good. However, I said “No” to volleyball this year because last Spring was just too hectic with 3 sports, too many conflicts with practice, too many games on weekends. He complained at first but accepted it...

... but he won’t let this track thing go. He’s begging, literally. Again this morning before school. Trying to sell me on all of the reasons why it will be so great and how we won’t be too busy. 🙄

I’m conflicted on this one. I just emailed the coach and asked when meets typically take place, and if other kids are in multiple sports. I’m not signing up for something with constant conflicts again. Why does spring contain almost every one of the sports that my kid wants to play??? 🤦‍♀️

Have you considered asking him which of his other commitments he would like to jettison to make room for this new sport?

21stamps

Have you considered asking him which of his other commitments he would like to jettison to make room for this new sport?

Yes, that’s been the discussion for the past 2 years.
Lacrosse or Baseball
Lacrosse or Soccer
Is our annual discussion now.

Last year I allowed volleyball in the mix, only because the coordinator made a point to email everyone to let us know that it was very laid back and they know a lot of kids play multiple sports in the Spring, so they’ll be flexible.. and they were, which was great, but I just didn’t want to deal with a 3rd sport this year so told T that he can’t do volleyball again unless he gives up baseball or soccer (which I knew wouldn’thappen)

He’s really begging for this track thing though. He keeps saying “It’s just running and jumping. I already do that! It won’t require any practice time at home! Pleasseee!”

I haven’t heard back from the coordinator yet, I want to know if it’s similar to the volleyball set up where kids can just come when they don’t have other conflicts. Being more of an individual sport, I’m hoping it might be really flexible. I don’t know though. Even if it is I’m not sure that I want to add anything.

At the same time though, he only has a couple years left to try multiple sports, and I hate to not let him try something for one season. (Lacrosse is different bc it does require too much a commitment, so this one stays out until/unless he decides to stop spring soccer or baseball, which I doubt will happen)

StarWarsGirl

reminds me of how Celine Dion also has to sing lower than the studio version of "All by myself"
But then, that song is outrageous.
Yeah,

And for a lot of mezzo sopranos (Idina, Celine, myself) there's a break in our range right at about D or E flat, which is the high note of Into the Unknown. It's where we switch from middle to head voice typically. If you're singing a bunch of higher notes, you can stay in head voice. Sing some lower notes and then jump an octave and...it might sound ugly. Which is fine for a studio recording because if you mess up and it sounds ugly, just rerecord it. If you're on stage...yeah, yikes.

I've noticed when Idina does live performances of Let It Go that they adjust the key down. That one also hits E flat in the movie version. The stage version is also adjusted about half a key down.

I think I've listened to this song a few times. Normally it takes me a bit to realize. It took me all of two seconds. :hilarious:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Yes, that’s been the discussion for the past 2 years.
Lacrosse or Baseball
Lacrosse or Soccer
Is our annual discussion now.

Last year I allowed volleyball in the mix, only because the coordinator made a point to email everyone to let us know that it was very laid back and they know a lot of kids play multiple sports in the Spring, so they’ll be flexible.. and they were, which was great, but I just didn’t want to deal with a 3rd sport this year so told T that he can’t do volleyball again unless he gives up baseball or soccer (which I knew wouldn’thappen)

He’s really begging for this track thing though. He keeps saying “It’s just running and jumping. I already do that! It won’t require any practice time at home! Pleasseee!”

I haven’t heard back from the coordinator yet, I want to know if it’s similar to the volleyball set up where kids can just come when they don’t have other conflicts. Being more of an individual sport, I’m hoping it might be really flexible. I don’t know though. Even if it is I’m not sure that I want to add anything.

At the same time though, he only has a couple years left to try multiple sports, and I hate to not let him try something for one season. (Lacrosse is different bc it does require too much a commitment, so this one stays out until/unless he decides to stop spring soccer or baseball, which I doubt will happen)

I don't know how different Track is in elementary school, but I did track in high school and it wasn't just running and jumping. We had a lot of practices, we had a lot of meets, but also we had a pretty stringent workout schedule too. Maybe it's super laid back in elementary school, but it's definitely not "just show up and run"

21stamps

I don't know how different Track is in elementary school, but I did track in high school and it wasn't just running and jumping. We had a lot of practices, we had a lot of meets, but also we had a pretty stringent workout schedule too. Maybe it's super laid back in elementary school, but it's definitely not "just show up and run"

Yeah, for sure in the older grades. This is the first year it’s offered for T’s age...similar to volleyball last year, And because we have the majority of our boys who play on travel teams and multiple sports, the volleyball coordinator was asking for players and said that we could just come when we could make it, not just me and T, they put that email out to everyone.

I’m not worried about a work out schedule with the amount of sports he plays and what he does at home. He definitely has endurance and is always working on his agility and jumping, as well as having me time his run from the deck to end of the backyard and back..or just to his room and back.lol.
His main position in soccer is left wing, which is offense and defense, basically a side midfielder, but with no one in front of him (due to 7v7 format). Which means he’s basically running the entire game, and has to know when to sprint and how to pace himself.

He won’t be able to just show up to a meet when he wants, he’ll have to attend at least one practice per week for sure.. but I do agree with him that it wouldn’t require much training above the speed and agility stuff that he already works on for soccer. If he was older it would be a totally different story. I wish they would reply so I would know for sure!

MySmallWorldof4

I’m debating joining the YMCA. Did a one week free pass to see if we’ll really utilize it.
So, we went tonight before basketball practice. Talked to the front desk about what T can do. Unfortunately, age 9 is the first year where they’re aged out of the daycare, but too young for a bracelet to have free reign. :(

He said he’s ok with that and just wants to work out in the gym with me, and swim, and play basketball. Also unfortunately, the majority of open swim and open basketball court time slots are not conducive to our schedule at all. He says he’s ok with that too.
We worked out for an hour together, elliptical, pull up bar, stretch bars, and ran on a treadmill. While on the elliptical he says “This is awesome, mom. I can feel myself getting stronger. This is going to get me some serious fit bod and I’m going to be such a threat on the pitch.” 😂🤦‍♀️

I don’t know though.., to join a YMCA, when we’ll mostly be using it as a gym, doesn’t sound like a great idea to me. Main reason is because he has to be on whatever equipment I am on, which means I can’t do any of the weight machines.

What would you do? Anyone have a Y membership?
We joined for when my kids needed swim lessons. I wouldn't waste the money on it if you aren't going to really be able to utilize a membership. By equipment for your house instead.

21stamps

We joined for when my kids needed swim lessons. I wouldn't waste the money on it if you aren't going to really be able to utilize a membership. By equipment for your house instead.

I think it sounds great for either younger kids who can go to the daycare, or 13+ year olds who get a bracelet and have free run of the place while their parents are working out. We’re in that weird in between age. I think we’ll wait til he’s 13 and see if we want to join at that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom