Animatronic’s Hand Falls Off During Performance of Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress

RobWDW1971

Ahem... so does the whole show.
As much as I grew up on it and love it, it’s time to shut it down. It’s embarrassing to watch a show about “progress” and highlighting the future with 50 year old tech.

I personally think Walt would be shocked and embarrassed that a show he premiered in 1964 that was meant to be cutting edge still exists and hasn’t been replaced with the latest technology or a completely new idea.

It’s time to take it out, put John in the One Man’s Dream museum, and move on to new and exciting things...

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

As much as I grew up on it and love it, it’s time to shut it down. It’s embarrassing to watch a show about “progress” and highlighting the future with 50 year old tech. I personally think Walt would be shocked and embarrassed that a show he premiered in 1964 that was meant to be cutting edge still exists and hasn’t been replaced with the latest technology or a completely new idea.

It’s time to take it out, put John in the One Man’s Dream museum, and move on to new and exciting things...

It kills me to agree. I'm embarrassed to bring people who've never been to see it, so I've stopped. Unless there's a complete overhaul (and I mean COMPLETE), it's time to let it die rather than fade out on ever dwindling life support.

DisneyDreamer08

We were there a few weeks ago and my 9 year old asked to see it for the first time. My husband took her and they got stuck inside for quite a while. One scene repeated three full times, they finally moved to the next scene and that one replayed twice. The entire time, every 30 seconds or so, a CM would come blaring over a staticky intercom reminding everyone to stay seated. My 9 year was in tears and couldn’t wait to leave.

Monorail_Orange

It kills me to agree. I'm embarrassed to bring people who've never been to see it, so I've stopped. Unless there's a complete rehaul (and I mean COMPLETE), it's time to let it die rather than fade out on ever dwindling life support.
I could not disagree with this more. This show deserves to be restored to completely functional status and pristine upkeep. Bring back the "Metro Retro Historical Society" to present it to justify it's continued existence in Tomorrowland if need be.

Parker, you've nailed the problem: dwindling life support. The show needs proper care and maintenance. MAYBE a new ending...but not sure I trust WDI/TDO of today to get that right.

Dismantling and removing this show would be a mistake a la Disneyland's Peoplemover and WDW's Mr. Toad and 20k - nothing that has come after any of those has surpassed much less equaled what was there prior.

RobWDW1971

We were there a few weeks ago and my 9 year old asked to see it for the first time. My husband took her and they got stuck inside for quite a while. One scene repeated three full times, they finally moved to the next scene and that one replayed twice. The entire time, every 30 seconds or so, a CM would come blaring over a staticky intercom reminding everyone to stay seated. My 9 year was in tears and couldn’t wait to leave.
Happened to me as well recently and had to watch the same scene twice - that had never happened once over the several decades I’ve seen the show back to when it was at DL. What causes that now?

Parker in NYC

I could not disagree with this more. This show deserves to be restored to completely functional status and pristine upkeep. Bring back the "Metro Retro Historical Society" to present it to justify it's continued existence in Tomorrowland if need be.

Parker, you've nailed the problem: dwindling life support. The show needs proper care and maintenance. MAYBE a new ending...but not sure I trust WDI/TDO of today to get that right.

Dismantling and removing this show would be a mistake a la Disneyland's Peoplemover and WDW's Mr. Toad and 20k - nothing that has come after any of those has surpassed much less equaled what was there prior.

I have noticed poor show at CoP since 1996. It's grown worse and worse. After nearly 25 years, I don't have faith that Disney has any substantive plans to fix things. More along the lines of the monorail's silly "refresh."

po1998

^^^ This.

Touchdown

My blue sky would be trying to get one more scene in but marni says that’s not possible, so with the handicap of 4 scenes, I would turn the carousel of progress into a celebration of the advances made in the 20th century:

Scene 1: 1900s, no changes
Scene 2: 1940s, no changes
Scene 3: July 24, 1969, have the family getting ready to watch the moon landing. Have Jimmy getting ready to go to Boy Scout Camp, Patty going to a rock concert (and be a hippy,) and have Sarah working in a home office having joined the work force.
Scene 4: New Years Eve 1999: You can still have the Christmas decorations up, but have the family all together to count down to the year 2000 and talk about all the amazing things that happened this century.

It kills me to loose the 1920s scene as it’s probably my favorite but I see no way to have it stay in the show.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

That's what happens when people try to leave, it has to repeat.

I think if it does get a refurb, seat belts will be next

Obobru

I think if it does get a refurb, seat belts will be next

I wonder if they still have the seats in Stitch they would stop people opening doors or jumping on the stage. They could even still keep the sitch burp but make it root beer smelling 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom