The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

brb1006

Usually Defunctland makes videos about past attractions as well other Theme Park History. But the newest episode just came out and is about "Walt's Field Day" from 1938 to celebrate the completion of Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. It's 40 minutes long, but it's seriously worth the watch since it contains rare interviews from Walt and the other animators.

I seriously wanted to share this video since it covers a piece of Disney history that's very interesting. Walt has never again talked about this party. It also goes over the infamous Animators Strike of 1941.

Last edited:

thenerdbaker

Usually Defunctland makes videos about past attractions as well other Theme Park History. But the newest episode just came out and is about "Walt's Field Day" from 1938 to celebrate the completion of Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. It's 40 minutes long, but it's seriously worth the watch since it contains rare interviews from Walt and the other animators.

I seriously wanted to share this video since it covers a piece of Disney history that's very interesting. Walt has never again talked about this party. It also goes over the infamous Animators Strike of 1941.

One of his best videos and I was surprised I had never really heard about some of the stuff he covers.

SuddenStorm

After skipping through the video a bit, it seems like a plagiarism of Todd James Pierce's account of the party. I really hope some of the money he's making off the video is gonna get sent to the various historians he's quoting near verbatim.

I'm all for making information more accessible to others, but something about piecing together the work of far more credible and true historians then monetizing your Youtube channel, selling merchandise, and having a Patreon seems a bit crummy. Not to mention, having multiple retellings of the party from unrelated people trying to pass as 'historians' can create inaccuracies.

Not nearly as egregious as Matterhorn Matt, Alex the Historian (who just reads off facts he found in a Disneyland trivia book), Offhand Disney (who's been known to read credible articles verbatim over a montage of other people's historical Disneyland footage for his videos), and various other Youtubers out there. There are posters here who know far more about Disney parks than any of these gentleman, but don't feel the need to try and create a following of people donating them money.

While I'm not a huge fan, Justin Scarred is far more respectable than many of these- he knows his stuff, and most of his historical stuff comes from private family photos. He's added to the community- not recycling content readily available elsewhere. Freshbaked is very hit or miss- mostly miss- but their silent walkthroughs of Disneyland are actually really well done and a pleasure to watch.

Darkbeer1

I remember once, when I did my own research, got newspaper articles on Microfiche from the 1950's and 1960's, went into the Museo archives, and talked to some Old timers, and got bashed by some of the fan community just for showing that while Walt Disney was alive, the Grand opening and the anniversary date was July 18th.

Gee the hate I got, just because some PR CM was too lazy to check the history in 1970.

Darkbeer1

So Lisa wanted to eat at Fire+ICE tonight. After dinner, we walked around AGW, then around the block (I was using my walker).

The timing was such we headed to the Denny's on Harbor, and sat on the outside bench just before 9:30.

Got a good view of the spotlights, then heard the fireworks go off.

And, yes, heard 15 minutes of fireworks, and couldn't see one of them due to the fog....

Usually a good viewpoint, but tonight was a BIG fail.

TROR

I’ve never been a fan of NBA but I’m really stunned by Kobe’s death. I suppose it’s because of just how local he was, hearing his name growing up, and the fact it was so sudden.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’ve never been a fan of NBA but I’m really stunned by Kobe’s death. I suppose it’s because of just how local he was, hearing his name growing up, and the fact it was so sudden.

For me I watched him play almost every night of his 20 year career and of course the fact that it’s so sudden and he’s so young. Watched him grow up in LA playin for the Lakers and he’s just a few years older than me. He just congratulated Lebron last night for passing him in career points. I feel like someone punched me in the gut. Also thinking of his wife and 4 daughters. I have so many great memories watching Lakers games with my family including my late grandfather that were because of his buzzer beaters and playoff heroics.

Last edited:

NateD1226

Wow I am truly shocked. I can't believe this. Must be so hard for his family as he had 4 kids and was only 41 years old. My condolences go out to his family. A sad day for the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom