Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

Stevek

BoxOfficeMojo
With a $175.5 million three-day debut, Disney's Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker delivered the third largest December opening of all-time. While the performance tops the studio's conservative, $165 million opening, many, including BoxOfficeMojo, expected the film to top $200 million for the weekend and the slide to $175.5 million is a bit below where expectations were just yesterday, when it appeared the film would open anywhere from $190-195 million after Friday estimates. The slide began following the film's opening day, which was pretty much on par with recent Star Wars releases, which saw preview grosses making up 44% of the film's opening day. However, it is the only Star Wars release of the five released by Disney thus far, to see the Friday gross make up over 50% of the film's total opening weekend, which brings into question what kind of impact word of mouth will have on the film's final gross.

I blame Cats for sucking out $6.5 million from the total.
Third largest December opening...sounds like a failure to me. The movie will make lots and lots of money. Disney will be just fine.

shambolicdefending

Third largest December opening...sounds like a failure to me. The movie will make lots and lots of money. Disney will be just fine.
Yeah, it'll make money for sure. But, it's also the worst opening of the sequel trilogy, which I'm guessing was not how things were originally projected. Not a surprise after TLJ and Solo saw sharp declines, though

For the record, I saw the movie this afternoon and thought it was great. I was firmly in the TLJ hate group, but I think JJ Abrams did as well as anybody could to salvage a satisfying conclusion. I only wish he'd been hired to make all three.

shambolicdefending

The movie won’t dictate what happens to the attraction now that it is built. Guest response, park ratings and demand will.

Even if they could be lightening fast and overlay it in 8 weeks (I’d assume 4-6 months to do it properly), there is no indication the attraction needs or warrants the investment. Nor could I see them feeling the need for something that is actually causing people to show up in droves at opening.

Millennium Falcon (aka an attraction more tailored around the film Solo), with more middling demand, and something that could be changed without taking it offline, is the far more likely candidate. Of course an entertainment package for the land itself.

But I don’t understand why at this juncture Disney would be stupid enough to redo a successful attraction.
I don't think anybody is talking about overlays or rebuilds. I do think the long-term popularity of the movies will have a trickle down effect on attendance and future investment at Galaxy's Edge.

RobWDW1971

Disneyland WILL employ virtual boarding pass for Rise.

Rope Drop at Disneyland used to be surprisingly peaceful! Not anymore...

True, but just think of all the angry, entitled DAS AP’s who come in after work and are told they can’t ride it that night - delicious!

Staff up City Hall!

#bitterscooters

No Name

The fact that Baby Yoda doesn’t not yet exist on this ride or in any part of Galaxy’s Edge is kind of dumb on Disney’s part. But that’s nothing new.

I know it's a theme park attraction and everything and we're not supposed to overthink things, but it actually strikes me as really unrealistic that some dude would decide to fire an AT-AT cannon inside of his own ship. That'd be like firing a missile inside an aircraft carrier.

Yes, but it’s a very Kylo-Ren-era thing to do. Under Darth Vader they would’ve never. But Kylo is the kind of guy who rage quits and starts destroying his own ship when there aren’t enough marshmallows in his lucky charms. He’s not the smartest.

Mickeyboof

The Mandalori’s damn head is plastered on the wall of the gift shop. He’s dead, and baby Yoda probably is tween Yoda by now.

Sigh. Why did they have to become tied down to “time?”

waltography

Disneyland WILL employ virtual boarding pass for Rise.

Rope Drop at Disneyland used to be surprisingly peaceful! Not anymore...

Just booked a flight for opening weekend to see the ride, so I’ll only get one chance to get this right (at least next month)... fingers crossed!

RobWDW1971

After the events of TROS, the timeline for GE makes even less sense.
It’s as if there never was a thought out plan for the next thirty years for the franchise, movie stories arc, or theme park lands. So now you have a billion dollar land locked forever at the midpoint of one trilogy story arc that is already outdated before the land is even fully open. Well done, WDI, well done.

Last edited:

BrianLo

The Mandalori’s damn head is plastered on the wall of the gift shop. He’s dead, and baby Yoda probably is tween Yoda by now.

Sigh. Why did they have to become tied down to “time?”

Actually I did the math. Baby Yoda is developmentally around 18months in human years. He’d be about 2.5yo in Batuu.

Hardly a notable difference if they just wanted to straight up add baby Yoda and a costumed Mando who can freely age under his mask.

Thats IF they want to stick to the timeframe. They can also not and frankly the same still applies. These are semi-timeless characters like Chewie or the droids.

Ismael Flores

Actually I did the math. Baby Yoda is developmentally around 18months in human years. He’d be about 2.5yo in Batuu.

Hardly a notable difference if they just wanted to straight up add baby Yoda and a costumed Mando who can freely age under his mask.

Thats IF they want to stick to the timeframe. They can also not and frankly the same still applies. These are semi-timeless characters like Chewie or the droids.

SO anyone know why they have Chewie, R2D2 but no C3PO? you would think that would also be a no-brainer and easy character to have as a walk around

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom