Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

Mickeyboof

It's definitely slow moving, but feels adventurous with all the corridors and rooms. It basically repeats the same thing over and over where something threatens you and you reserve from it.

In retrospect, I think the Millennium Falcon ride should have been one of the preshows for this experience and an entire other thrill ride should have been built.

Hey!! Now there’s an idea! The falcon gets sucked into the Star destroyer instead of the transport ship. That’s a sweet idea.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
After watching a few videos now I've determined that I will most definitely enjoy this attraction.

My only criticisms based on footage alone:
1) The off-perspective screens (holding cell interrogation and first encounter with Stormtroopers standing on overlook)
2) Lack of physical or projection-mapped blaster beams (very much needed!!!) and effects alluding to transport vehicle hits.

In general it just needs more practical effects, imo.

Adding to the story: If the droid unit on our transport vehicle is "hit" by a blaster beam, damaged in some way (plume of smoke, eye's blink, head spins, etc) it would setup the next show scene perfectly wherein the droid mistakenly sends us up instead of down. Perhaps his navigation is off, chips fried and is otherwise temporarily disoriented. Just a thought.

Overall it looks like a very cool ride. Definitely E caliber. I've not seen better.
Still... I need to see blaster beams if I'm to believe I'm in a Star Wars land. Get to it Disney!

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

You wouldn't wait 20-30 minutes again.

Because you did fly across the country, line up an hour or more before park opening, OR spent all day waiting around for your boarding pass at WDW's still worst park for it. :p

This razzing comes from a place of jealousy.

Hey, flying across the country and hanging out at Hollywood Studios wasn't inconvenient at all. It kind of felt similar to driving down the street, parking at Mickey and Friends, and walking right onto Rise in 15 minutes. I definitely didn't feel a burning desire to ride again, though if the opportunity arises I might just to flesh out my opinions more.

On an unrelated note, hearing the varying reactions from some friends of mine who work at the Resort have been interesting. One has ridden it 3 times, another 5, and one has tried a few times to get on with it breaking down each time. Each says it's easily a top 15 attraction, but one says they'd rank it 8 or 9 in the resort. I haven't met anyone who said it's their new favorite. They are telling me that Disney's actually posting when the previews are going on now, so it's becoming a bit more 'official' and less word of mouth.

I can only imagine what a nightmare this attraction will be to hire for, with the CM's expected to actually act for hours at a time while grouping and loading a new group every few seconds. I really hope they get paid more then your average attractions CM.

When I rode, the effect where Kylo stabs through the ceiling didn't work. This occurs during a transition period where you're sitting in a room during a part that's supposed to have considerable tension, so the effect not working kind of kills the intended pace of the attraction. I really hope they have a B effect planned.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
...When I rode, the effect where Kylo stabs through the ceiling didn't work. This occurs during a transition period where you're sitting in a room during a part that's supposed to have considerable tension, so the effect not working kind of kills the intended pace of the attraction. I really hope they have a B effect planned.

There should be B-mode effects in place for the entirety of the ride.

What happens when the screenz fail? Without those it's hardly an attraction. They add A LOT!
Come to think of it; It might be fun to discuss B-mode solutions for this attraction.

Phroobar

I can only imagine what a nightmare this attraction will be to hire for, with the CM's expected to actually act for hours at a time while grouping and loading a new group every few seconds. I really hope they get paid more then your average attractions CM.

How is it any more difficult to hire for than the Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror? Cast members act the part there. I guess there they voluntary act creepy on those attractions.

RobWDW1971

How is it any more difficult to hire for than the Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror? Cast members act the part there. I guess there they voluntary act creepy on those attractions.
It would be more comparable to the Jungle Cruise skippers who have to be “on” all day, but even then they can just be themselves when not spieling. Over the years, the percent of cast members that are doing any “acting” on Mansion and TOT has been pretty low in my experience. It gets even more complicated because of union seniority as shifts wil not always be assigned by “talent”.

Without hiring actual actors, these roles will just eventually drift downward like the “citizens” of Batuu already has. In my last visit to SWGE at DL, now just six months old, I didn’t (thankfully) hear a single “Bright Suns!”, “Til the Spires!”, or any other such nonsense. They were just back to being regular union merch and food Cast members ringing up sales.

Phroobar

It would be more comparable to the Jungle Cruise skippers who have to be “on” all day, but even then they can just be themselves when not spieling. Over the years, the percent of cast members that are doing any “acting” on Mansion and TOT has been pretty low in my experience. It gets even more complicated because of union seniority as shifts wil not always be assigned by “talent”.

Without hiring actual actors, these roles will just eventually drift downward like the “citizens” of Batuu already has. In my last visit to SWGE at DL, now just six months old, I didn’t (thankfully) hear a single “Bright Suns!”, “Til the Spires!”, or any other such nonsense. They were just back to being regular union merch and food Cast members ringing up sales.
It's good to hear they aren't doing that "bright suns" thing anymore. That was annoying and was never part of Star Wars to begin with. We kind of predicted that years ago when the whole immersion thing was announced. It is a combination of cast members too busy to play act and budget cuts on live entertainment that killed immersion before it could even take hold. It didn't take long at the Star Trek Experience for that kind of thing to disappear too.

SSG

Sounds like Disney has formalized the boarding group process for Rise in HS. I wonder if we'll get the same? From Touring Plans:

First, moving forward, the virtual queue for Rise of the Resistance will now not be available until the published park opening time. (Before, the virtual queue was available prior to official park opening time.) Guests must be in Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access the virtual queue and will be able to do so by using the My Disney Experience app. Once the boarding groups run out, they run out….however, there may be the opportunity to join a backup boarding group. Backup boarding groups will only be called if all of the initial planned boarding groups have been called back and there is capacity for more riders that evening. If Disney is able to accommodate boarding groups that evening, Guests will be notified through the My Disney Experience app by a push notification (if enabled).

Phroobar

Sounds like Disney has formalized the boarding group process for Rise in HS. I wonder if we'll get the same? From Touring Plans:

First, moving forward, the virtual queue for Rise of the Resistance will now not be available until the published park opening time. (Before, the virtual queue was available prior to official park opening time.) Guests must be in Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access the virtual queue and will be able to do so by using the My Disney Experience app. Once the boarding groups run out, they run out….however, there may be the opportunity to join a backup boarding group. Backup boarding groups will only be called if all of the initial planned boarding groups have been called back and there is capacity for more riders that evening. If Disney is able to accommodate boarding groups that evening, Guests will be notified through the My Disney Experience app by a push notification (if enabled).
So if the park opens at 9am, those SQL servers get punished at 9am-10am. I hope they've added enough secondary machines to keep it going.

flutas

I'm curious as well, the last update for the Disneyland app actually removed the tile for Batuu from the app...

shambolicdefending

So, news is out that Rise of Skywalker had a disappointing opening weekend, isn't especially popular with fans or critics, and so far is on pace to continue the declining revenue trend of Disney Star Wars productions.

One can't help but wonder if that foreshadows anything for RotR and Galaxy's Edge as a whole.

There's a lot of hyperbole in any wide-ranging Star Wars discussions, but I think it's safe to say that neither the theme park lands or the movies have been as successful as the suits hoped and planned for.

Mac Tonight

So, news is out that Rise of Skywalker had a disappointing opening weekend, isn't especially popular with fans or critics, and so far is on pace to continue the declining revenue trend of Disney Star Wars productions.

One can't help but wonder if that foreshadows anything for RotR and Galaxy's Edge as a whole.

There's a lot of hyperbole in any wide-ranging Star Wars discussions, but I think it's safe to say that neither the theme park lands or the movies have been as successful as the suits hoped and planned for.
That's because the people in charge of both are nincompoops who leaped before they looked.

The movies at least were "planned" poorly by hardly being planned at all.

Last edited:

Phroobar

BoxOfficeMojo
With a $175.5 million three-day debut, Disney's Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker delivered the third largest December opening of all-time. While the performance tops the studio's conservative, $165 million opening, many, including BoxOfficeMojo, expected the film to top $200 million for the weekend and the slide to $175.5 million is a bit below where expectations were just yesterday, when it appeared the film would open anywhere from $190-195 million after Friday estimates. The slide began following the film's opening day, which was pretty much on par with recent Star Wars releases, which saw preview grosses making up 44% of the film's opening day. However, it is the only Star Wars release of the five released by Disney thus far, to see the Friday gross make up over 50% of the film's total opening weekend, which brings into question what kind of impact word of mouth will have on the film's final gross.

I blame Cats for sucking out $6.5 million from the total.

BrianLo

The movie won’t dictate what happens to the attraction now that it is built. Guest response, park ratings and demand will.

Even if they could be lightening fast and overlay it in 8 weeks (I’d assume 4-6 months to do it properly), there is no indication the attraction needs or warrants the investment. Nor could I see them feeling the need for something that is actually causing people to show up in droves at opening.

Millennium Falcon (aka an attraction more tailored around the film Solo), with more middling demand, and something that could be changed without taking it offline, is the far more likely candidate. Of course an entertainment package for the land itself.

But I don’t understand why at this juncture Disney would be stupid enough to redo a successful attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom